The Student Room Group

A Levels and German Abitur equivalent

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Sir Fox
Oh man, you must be truly desperate and out of arguments if you start hating on my grammar, especially as 'just' in this context means 'only'. And have you actually read some of your past posts in this thread? Including ****ty abbreviations like 'bcs', tons of typos and finding stuff 'in their website' or that you 'may spent a minute or too'? It's truly hilarious coming from a native speaker with poor orthography and being directed at a non-native speaker with a fairly high level of proficiency.

Apart from that, there is no solid proof?! As you mentioned yourself, there are no Abitur grades in that table.

And my level of English proficiency? Well I am very much interested to know what was your IELTS score bro.
Original post by tim3
I do want to admit that ANU might make big mistake stating an IB equivalence of
35 equalizing it to 2.2.

Obviously ANU made a mistake, no way you are just wrong :rolleyes:

AAA at A levels is equivalent to 42 points in IB. And a 42 in IB is in NO DOUBT equals to 1.0 in Abitur.

I know that an IB of 42 equals 1.0 at Abitur. However, 1.0 is the highest grade attainable at Abitur whilst AAA is by no means the highest grade achievable at A-levels - certain university courses even have entry requirements higher than AAA, so they cannot be equivalent.

And yeah I know I make typos but that's not because I am uneducated but I have got problems that sometimes hinders me to show quality performance.

Then you should reconsider making fun of other people's grammar - you made two errors in the above sentence alone. Hypocrisy is an ugly character trait.

Original post by tim3
And my level of English proficiency? Well I am very much interested to know what was your IELTS score bro.

8.0. That was before I moved to an English speaking country though, obviously.

I'm out of this discussion now. If I wanted to watch a someone childishly trying to pick apart my perfectly fine grammar, I'd try to get on reality TV. Have a good night.
(edited 9 years ago)
And as a nice conclusion, here's an interesting statistics for you:

Of all the people taking the IELTS, native speakers of German have the highest average test scores - ahead of native speakers of English.

Good night now.
Reply 123
Original post by Sir Fox

Of all the people taking the IELTS, native speakers of German have the highest average test scores - ahead of native speakers of English.

Good night now.

Oh I cant argue with that. I got 8.0 too so I guess we are even.

Well you have not really properly answered my questions in context of ANU.

And yes there are uni that equivalent A*AA to 1.0-1.2. Note they take only 3 A levels not 4.

And I am still very fair on this conversion between A levels and Abitur while you my dear is showing nothing but attitude with empty words and you clearly cannot argue against this conversion that I offered. It is from the website of the VERY SAME uni you are studying and also most probably the documents they used to say your 2.2 was equal to 35.

A* was introduced to discriminate between already highly qualified candidates however the level of difficulty did not change. A* is not the new A and A is not the new B.

Highest level of achievement is NOT the only factor to provide equivalency between qualification.

I am sorry to say that you failed miserably to provide fair reasons.
Reply 124
Original post by Sir Fox
Obviously ANU made a mistake, no way you are just wrong :rolleyes:

I know that an IB of 42 equals 1.0 at Abitur. However, 1.0 is the highest grade attainable at Abitur whilst AAA is by no means the highest grade achievable at A-levels - certain university courses even have entry requirements higher than AAA, so they cannot be equivalent.

Then you should reconsider making fun of other people's grammar - you made two errors in the above sentence alone. Hypocrisy is an ugly character trait.

8.0. That was before I moved to an English speaking country though, obviously.

I'm out of this discussion now. If I wanted to watch a someone childishly trying to pick apart my perfectly fine grammar, I'd try to get on reality TV. Have a good night.

Oh and btw 42.0 is not also the highest achievable score in IB. So as per your argument 42.0 shud NOT be equal to 1.0 in Abitur. But why is 42.0 is still considered equivalent to 1.0?

Hopefully you can shed some light on that.

And I am happy to be wrong about ANU bcs if I am wrong that means I just scored a really BIG FAT NICE 1.0 Abitur equivalence.g
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sir Fox

Good night now.

Hardly surprising to be honest.
Reply 126
Original post by Chlorophile
Hardly surprising to be honest.

Our arguments was not based on who was better or who was worst. It is very unattractive of a person to show this sort of holier than thou attitude.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tim3
Our arguments was not based on who was better or who was worst. It is a very unattractive of a person to show this sort of holier than thou attitude.

What? I couldn't care less about your argument, I'm just saying I'm not surprised that Germans perform the best at the IELTS...
Reply 128
Original post by Chlorophile
What? I couldn't care less about your argument, I'm just saying I'm not surprised that Germans perform the best at the IELTS...

Glad to hear that. It is impressive that a non-native speaking nation can score so high in IELTS exams.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi everyone,

I am actually German and I have the same problem. I asked at my local Zeugnisanerkennungstelle (Germans will know what it is ) and they told me that in order to convert you certificate from an A-Level in to a German Abitur you have to have a certain range of Subjects ! Those include Maths, a social science (History, Economics, Geography ...), a natural science (Physics, Chemistry or Biology, CANNOT be Human Biology!), and a language (which may be German. Though you should verify this with your local Zeugnisanerkennungstelle to make sure you are allowed this. It might be different from county to county, I live in Munich if that is of any help to anyone). All of these subjects have to be completed to the A2 degree !! Otherwise they will not accept it!! German shouldn't be to difficult :wink:
Reply 130
Original post by fv.braun
Hi everyone,

I am actually German and I have the same problem. I asked at my local Zeugnisanerkennungstelle (Germans will know what it is ) and they told me that in order to convert you certificate from an A-Level in to a German Abitur you have to have a certain range of Subjects ! Those include Maths, a social science (History, Economics, Geography ...), a natural science (Physics, Chemistry or Biology, CANNOT be Human Biology!), and a language (which may be German. Though you should verify this with your local Zeugnisanerkennungstelle to make sure you are allowed this. It might be different from county to county, I live in Munich if that is of any help to anyone). All of these subjects have to be completed to the A2 degree !! Otherwise they will not accept it!! German shouldn't be to difficult :wink:

You should look into Anabin and see what subject they need. Then it should not be a problem. For medicine Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Biology apprently is acceptable according to Cambridge International Examination and you should aim for all A* and A I would A* if you wish to study medicine in Germany. I think they changed their grading system after introduction of A*
hey everybody, i also graduated from A levels (A2 Math and Physics and got B Math D Physics) and im aiming for Aeronautical engineering. any idea what is my Abitur? i would prefer exact numbers of the grade-abitur conversion too and will this be accepted for Aeronautical engineering soon too?
Original post by Bahaa1996
hey everybody, i also graduated from A levels (A2 Math and Physics and got B Math D Physics) and im aiming for Aeronautical engineering. any idea what is my Abitur? i would prefer exact numbers of the grade-abitur conversion too and will this be accepted for Aeronautical engineering soon too?

If you only took the two A-levels you listed (Math and Physics) then your qualification is not considered equivalent to the Abitur and you will not be able to study in Germany.

And no one can give you exact numbers except for the relevant German authorities.
Original post by Bahaa1996

You can estimate your grade by using the informations in this thread. Though as Fox said, only German authorities can give you exact numbers. (And in addition even without going through all the infos in this thread, just two A Levels won't cut it.)
Hi everyone! I'm doing A2 Divinity, English Literature and English Language right now - with an AS in Biology (am done in two months). Is it possible to be accepted into an English, Middle Eastern Studies or Linguistics degree in Germany without A2 Biology? Or language-based subjects, in general. I do have the option of doing A2 Biology; but I'd rather not, seeing as I have A2 Government and Politics next May, and my Biology is nothing short of awful, academically.

I've asked the local DAAD office, but they've provided general answers.

Thanks!
Original post by calmer410
Hi everyone! I'm doing A2 Divinity, English Literature and English Language right now - with an AS in Biology (am done in two months). Is it possible to be accepted into an English, Middle Eastern Studies or Linguistics degree in Germany without A2 Biology? Or language-based subjects, in general. I do have the option of doing A2 Biology; but I'd rather not, seeing as I have A2 Government and Politics next May, and my Biology is nothing short of awful, academically.

I've asked the local DAAD office, but they've provided general answers.

Thanks!

You have to contact the Länder directly, the so called Zeugnisannahmestelle. The universities should be able to help you as well. I don't think, you will need the A2 in Biology, because with under five A Levels you won't be able to get the Full Abitur equivalent anyway, only the Fachgebundene, meaning, you could only study certain subjects at University. Earlier in the thread, you can find a document, which will give you a first idea, of which A Levels you will need for you chosen subject group.

(Only problem I see, is that probably English Literatur and English Language won't be counted as two A Levels, but as one, so that you need Biology to have three A Levels, but as I said, search the thread for the document.)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nathanielle
You have to contact the Länder directly, the so called Zeugnisannahmestelle. The universities should be able to help you as well. I don't think, you will need the A2 in Biology, because with under five A Levels you won't be able to get the Full Abitur equivalent anyway, only the Fachgebundene, meaning, you could only study certain subjects at University. Earlier in the thread, you can find a document, which will give you a first idea, of which A Levels you will need for you chosen subject group.

(Only problem I see, is that probably English Literatur and English Language won't be counted as two A Levels, but as one, so that you need Biology to have three A Levels, but as I said, search the thread for the document.)

Hi, my apologies for the late reply. First of all, is it possible to combine two science AS papers to fulfil the A-Level Science requirement? Language and Literature would probably be counted as one, yes. I'll be doing Politics, Computer Science and History next year as well, so yeah.

Thanks!
Reply 137
http://www.ia.uni-stuttgart.de/asb/faq/docs/Bayerische_Formel.pdf

Please kindly look into this document.

You will HAVE TO offer a language. And then the rest is dependent on the type of studying you wanna do.

Good luck with you application Germany :biggrin:.

Are you sure information in this link apply to all German universities ? and thats the way they use to convert grades ? I mean i can depend on these conversions if i wanna convert ?! *note : i will be applying for medicine ,,

Quick Reply

Latest