The Student Room Group

The right reasons for doing a masters? (science) ( bit of a read)

I'm just coming to the end of year 2 of 3. I've been thinking alot lately about what to do when i graduate in a years time.

I slacked off during A levels as i was really torn between what route i actually wanted to go, i'd done well at GCSE but during A level the straight up science and maths began to bore me so i ended up with pretty low grades. I decided i enjoyed science matter as well as exercise and nutrition so i ended choosing to study Sport & Exercise Nutrition at Leeds Met.

While i've enjoyed my time in Leeds immensely, i'm beginning to see at the end of year 2 that the course really hasn't been very engaging. I'm not going to pretend for a minute that it's easy and i've got firsts in everything, in fact the grades i get seem to be random, there has been so much group work that alot of grades i dont feel like a true representation of my own efforts, it makes motivation pretty hard to find.

A lot of material and practicals are repeated across different modules for some reason, and i guess i expected the practicals to be more engaging then just having someone run on a treadmill and taking blood and air samples. Also alot of the people on this course are those that didn't get into the straight sports science course, so a lot of people aren't even interested in nutrition and complain about having to do modules for it :rolleyes:, which is a strange environment to study in.

I am very interested in nutrition and food and i know my dissertation next year will be my chance to shine, but i cant help but feel like if i was to leave education at this point next year i would have missed out on what university could really have been like. I regret not trying more at A level and going to a more solid university. I'm not joking i've probably had to do about 8 pieces of individual written work in 2 years, and usually with no feedback.

Anyway enough of the motives; I've been looking into applying in a years time for a Taught 1 year Masters in Food Science, or Food Science & Nutrition, at the University of Leeds. My course has touched on Biochemistry and will more next year, i appreciate food science is very different. But to be honest i'm sick of learning things in a sporting context and am interested in food preperation/ processing and other areas this course offers. I already went to a post grad open day and was impressed with the department, with world class staff who were leading in their fields and seemed really passionate about the area. I appreciate how difficult this course would be but it seems like completion of it would open up many doors to companies and institutions alike.

I guess i'm just concerned that the types of people who go on to do masters are those that are extremely academic who know exactly what they've always wanted to do, where as i'm more looking at a masters as a chance to learn something new and open up more oppurtunities then what i'd otherwise have?

if anyone has put in the time to read this i'd appreciate any words of wisdom!
Reply 1
Sir Joe
I guess i'm just concerned that the types of people who go on to do masters are those that are extremely academic who know exactly what they've always wanted to do, where as i'm more looking at a masters as a chance to learn something new and open up more oppurtunities then what i'd otherwise have?

No, not necessarily. People do master's degrees for a variety of reasons. Actually there are probably more people who do them to learn something new or make themselves more employable than people who already know exactly what they want to get out of the course and what they want to do afterwards even before it has started. And I can imagine that particularly in a subject like food science, where a lot of graduates will probably be aiming for jobs in industry, career opportunities would be quite a common motivation for choosing to do an MSc.
Sounds like an MSc would be ideal for you. They really are great things. You say you've touched on Biochemistry, have you thought about an MSc in that? It would be a bit more broad and there are likely to be more courses in that at really good universities. If you can get a 2.1, then most universities will accept you onto a masters course if you're self funded. Honestly, they won't really care where you're from. A lot of masters courses are aimed at being kind of conversion courses too so you shouldn't have a problem.

Latest

Trending

Trending