The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm not sure about for the foundation unit cos that's outta the way for me, but for the main ethics paper you only need to know everything Utilitarianism and eveything Kant, as a question always comes up on those two in both sections :smile: so i think i'm just gonna forget about the medical ethics and revising back over natural law!
haha. I think Aristotle and causation's gna come up as it hasnt done for a while. Just learn the basics and blag the rest.
Reply 22
T-o dore
haha. I think Aristotle and causation's gna come up as it hasnt done for a while. Just learn the basics and blag the rest.

I /want/ the cave to come up.
SarahhhD
I /want/ the cave to come up.

Talk about it even if it doesn't, it's very easy to slip into an essay, either through supporting a viewpoint or contrasting it.
lily_blue3
That is a really stupid idea. So in your essay you'll only be able to talk about one relativist and one absolutist theory?! Not clever imo.

you have to pick 2 questions for Ethics unit 2. natural law is the foundation unit - so you are correct its a stupid idea. Since there won’t be 2 questions on utilitarianism in the unit 2 paper.

You at least need to learn Kant as well.
Reply 25
user_01332
you have to pick 2 questions for Ethics unit 2. natural law is the foundation unit - so you are correct its a stupid idea. Since there won’t be 2 questions on utilitarianism in the unit 2 paper.

You at least need to learn Kant as well.

they're being really stupid because most of the theories are easy.
Ye you could probably pick up enough about everything just by reading the ocr textbook.
Reply 27
T-o dore
Ye you could probably pick up enough about everything just by reading the ocr textbook.

even if you just get the jist of some things we can allways blag.
SarahhhD
they're being really stupid because most of the theories are easy.

Indeed.

Although for Philosophy I would strugle to remember plato, all the arguements and challenges for and against religion in detail although it seems you dont need that much detail for the exams so should not be a problem in reality.
Reply 29
user_01332
Indeed.

Although for Philosophy I would strugle to remember plato, all the arguements and challenges for and against religion in detail although it seems you dont need that much detail for the exams so should not be a problem in reality.

We looked ata past answer whichmentioned rome and got an a for plato.
i have faith! anyway i know everything anyway. its interesting stuff to learn tbh
SarahhhD
We looked ata past answer whichmentioned rome and got an a for plato.

the republic of rome surely? If not then...jesus.
Reply 32
user_01332
the republic of rome surely? If not then...jesus.

it just mentioned rome.
and someone spelt Paley Payley, all the way through the exxay when the Question was something allong the lines of "Explain Paley's Teleological argument." and got an A So, its Doable.
My Teacher is really good at giving confidance boosts.
resitting this module for the 3rd time now (B in the 1st, C in the 2nd) lool i revised for ethics all the theories (so nat law, virtue ethics, moral relativism-situation ethics) and didn't learn meta-ethics at all since its boring & they always ask one from ehtical theories, 1 from meta-ethics. & then in jan 1 question was of course meta-ethics which i couldn't answer & the other was like 'compare and contrast moral relatvsim to cultural relativism'. Which i was stumped with!
so yeh make sure you look at aaaall the things mentioned in the specification and have enough material to write 20mins worth for everything.

tutor2u.net is good.

do lots of practises as the timing is kind of crap for B questions, & the more you do, the less painful it is on the day lol.

ah hopefully 3rd time lucky..
Reply 34
Just had a thought...situation ethics is a **** theory imo...and it only requires that you know an example of moral relativism

So can you just sack off sit ethics and learn Utilitarianism, and if it asks about moral relativism just write about tht instead?
Reply 35
jgupta
Just had a thought...situation ethics is a **** theory imo...and it only requires that you know an example of moral relativism

So can you just sack off sit ethics and learn Utilitarianism, and if it asks about moral relativism just write about tht instead?

in the foundation unit you won't get any marks for going on about Utilitarianism or Kant... you'll only get that for the seperate ethics paper, so no lol sorry.

But how can you not like joseph fletcher!! haha it's one of my favourite theories :tongue:
Reply 36
elwoodc
in the foundation unit you won't get any marks for going on about Utilitarianism or Kant... you'll only get that for the seperate ethics paper, so no lol sorry.

But how can you not like joseph fletcher!! haha it's one of my favourite theories :tongue:

damn...
I just think its a stupid theory lol...if you ever try to apply it you eventually end up with utilitarian reasoning anyway!
tutor2you isn't working - is there any way of getting the notes from somewhere else? does anyoen have any notes for applying ethical theories (AS)
cheers
love thomasine x
Reply 38
jgupta
damn...
I just think its a stupid theory lol...if you ever try to apply it you eventually end up with utilitarian reasoning anyway!

lol perhaps! awww but it's all about love.... :love: haha
well still, least you can apply and it makes some sort of sense unlike virtue theory which I never understood..... oh well didn't come up for me :biggrin:
Reply 39
elwoodc
lol perhaps! awww but it's all about love.... :love: haha
well still, least you can apply and it makes some sort of sense unlike virtue theory which I never understood..... oh well didn't come up for me :biggrin:

Virtue Ethics is the Devils work according to my Teacher.

Latest