The Student Room Group

The Concept of God as a Creator.

"The imagery of God as a craftsman; the concepts of omnipotence, omniscience and omnipresence. They should be able to compare this view with Aristotles prime mover, and should be able to discuss on a basic level whether, if God created the Universe, God is therefore responsible for everything that happens in it.

Can anyone explain this briefly to me? I'm reading but it's not very clear in my text book?

This is about evil and suffering isn't it?

I'll rep! :smile:
gLace
"The imagery of God as a craftsman; the concepts of omnipotence, omniscience and omnipresence. They should be able to compare this view with Aristotles prime mover, and should be able to discuss on a basic level whether, if God created the Universe, God is therefore responsible for everything that happens in it.

Can anyone explain this briefly to me? I'm reading but it's not very clear in my text book?

This is about evil and suffering isn't it?

I'll rep! :smile:

So far as I'm aware, Aristotle's 'Prime Mover' relates to that which causes everything else - so, similar to the Cosmological Argument for the existence of God, everything in the universe is contingent, and every event and thing that exists relies on a chain of events that has caused it. But the 'Prime Mover' is a bit like the original cause, if you like - it's the 'unmoved', and uncaused, because it moves and causes everything else.

http://www.scandalon.co.uk/philosophy/aristotle_prime_mover.htm

That might be able to explain it a bit better - it also relates it to God as the creator at the bottom of the page! :smile:

As for your second question, in some respects it is indeed about evil and suffering, but I think you're also supposed to consider if God actually causes everything and affects our behaviour, or if he keeps at an epistemic distance - so like, consider deism (the idea that God created the world, but doesn't interfer now). Does that make sense? :smile:
Thanks very much for the rep :smile:
Reply 3
was deserved.

Latest

Trending

Trending