The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
To be a Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon (reg or consultant) you need to have done both.

To be an SHO you need to have done one or the other (most are dentists).

It is a difficult career in a lot of ways. Long training, very tricky surgery, harsh competition... but if you make it, you're the daddy!
Reply 21
Touche
To be a Oral and Maxillofacial surgeon (reg or consultant) you need to have done both.

To be an SHO you need to have done one or the other (most are dentists).

It is a difficult career in a lot of ways. Long training, very tricky surgery, harsh competition... but if you make it, you're the daddy!
Two things;

When I was doing maxfac, I heard it was changing.

and

I know at least two people who locum as MaxFac SpRs with just the BDS.

:confused:
Reply 22
Why'd you have to complicate things? :P

At Barts there are two SHO tiers, one lot has both degrees, one lot has just one (either). There is one guy from each tier on at the same time. The double degree guys will usually be career MaxFax, while the one degree guys are more likely to be passing through.

Usually the locums will have worked in the dept in the past (as SHOs) and the bosses know what they can and can't handle. They will not get on proper SpR rotations but can do ad hoc SpR shifts if the bosses agree (more money, better experience). I have a medic mate who does exactly that.

Dunno about it changing, official rules may well be... but since it is such a competitive speciality you'd struggle to get on a rotation with less than your peers (which will be a BDS+MBBS in most cases).
Haha to think I was thinking of it - nutjob.
It's a long enough road as it is :p:
Just out of curiosity, do any places offer an accelerated course in dentistry for medicine graduates? Or do you have to cover all of the overlapping content again?
Reply 25
Alex L
Just out of curiosity, do any places offer an accelerated course in dentistry for medicine graduates? Or do you have to cover all of the overlapping content again?

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/ugp08/programme/686

3yrs, but only 7 places!
eyeknow

Ouch, talk about competition
Reply 27
Competition? Get used to it!

This year there were 12 ST1 OMFS jobs going in the whole country. Also 14 for Neurosurgery, 6 for Plastics, 3 for Cardiothoractics... Competing for 3 jobs, with everyone else who wants to do the same speciality in the whole country? fun, fun, fun :biggrin:

I was talking to one of the cardiothoracics consultants in the west midlands (where recruitments was being organised this year) and what they had to go through was insane. 3 day (full 9am to 7pm days) interview, where you had to operate on animal models infront of the bosses, have your anatomy and basic sciences quizzed, know the latest evidence... scary as hell. I think there were around 90 applicants, 15 or so (think it was 18 actually) got to do the interview from hell, 3 got offered a job :s
Yeh I know, I was just hoping not to think about it until at least September, when the hard part actually begins
Reply 29
Nah, chill out and have fun in Sept. Hard part begins a few years down the line. No need to become a stress head just yet.
Reply 30
Its probably easier to consider a 4 year graduate entry BDS, which there are a few of and they usually have about 30-40 places.
I'll be having fun too, that's the one thing that will be definitely happening come September! As for the work, well I'll just have to take it as it comes
Yeah when I was considering it I would have only done the 3 year accelerated course -otherwise too long!!!
That's what I thought, no way I'd want to be spending 10 years at uni, and then paying off 10 years worth of loans!

Latest

Trending

Trending