The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys...

I have applied to manchester... when did you apply?

Thanks

Jason
muncrun
However, music doesn't involve any/many skills that are applicable in a law degree eg. analytical thinking, logic, writing skills. .

Actually, music is full of analytical thinking and logic!! :eek: And writing skills/articulation skills are ESSENTIAL when writing about a piece of music.
Now I'm worried :frown:

I did A-levels in history, law and music technology and my GCSEs are really bad in comparison ... 2A*, 2A, 5B & 2C. My school was really bad, though. :redface:

I suppose one advantage I do have is that I got my A-levels already... and I haven't been rejected from Manchester yet.
Reply 23
imogen86
Well I 've just found out today that I have been rejected from Manchester.It wasnt even one of my top choices, but however i am still annoyed.
A) I have 3 A's at A level
B)I am on my GAP year working at a top 100 firm.
C) I have plenty of work experience.

Was wondering if perhaps my A-level choice had something to do with it?(i did music, performing arts and history).Anway, i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, as how to go about finding the reasons for my rejection.Is it likely my A-levels were to blame?(although alll of them are over 75%theoretical).ANy ideas about how i could appeal, or be informed on their basis for this decision welcomed.
Thanks!
(Ps sorry to sound like a whinge)

Sounds like a repeat of what happened to a lot of my mates last year. Send them an email requesting feedback and they should send you a letter explaining. Although - I know that they will point out your subjects (they specify in their prospectus that they don't accept Art, PE, Graphics etc etc which is wrong as they are just as hard!). My friend also got info regarding her personal statement - apparently they mark it out of 30 in 3 different sections and if you don't reach above 25 they reject you. :frown:
I haven't heard from them yet...
Reply 24
Advice - Manchester hand out the majority of their rejections in October. A few will be rejected at the end of December (means you were close) and offers tend to come in November/December.
He he...Misbah, all we need to do is hold on for 4 days and we should be ok...:wink:

Jason
Reply 26
THE PROPHETOR!
He he...Misbah, all we need to do is hold on for 4 days and we should be ok...:wink:

Jason

hahaha - yes! Hopefully it won't be the same scenario as last yr (my friend got rejected on Christmas Eve! - they said that she just missed out on an offer)
Misbah Imtiaz
hahaha - yes! Hopefully it won't be the same scenario as last yr (my friend got rejected on Christmas Eve! - they said that she just missed out on an offer)

Ohh.. Thats a sharp kick in the...:wink:

Wait, don't Cambridge send out offers and rejections at the end of December? That would be a great way to see the new year in!-that could be sarcastic or not.! :biggrin:

Jason
Reply 28
THE PROPHETOR!
Ohh.. Thats a sharp kick in the...:wink:

Wait, don't Cambridge send out offers and rejections at the end of December? That would be a great way to see the new year in!-that could be sarcastic or not.! :biggrin:

Jason

:biggrin:
Yeah - so do Oxford. (apparently they hand offers out around 20 - 24th Dec)
Misbah Imtiaz
:biggrin:
Yeah - so do Oxford. (apparently they hand offers out around 20 - 24th Dec)

He he... now that would be a good Christmas! Thank you santa! :biggrin:

Jason
Reply 30
THE PROPHETOR!
He he... now that would be a good Christmas! Thank you santa! :biggrin:

Jason

:biggrin: now that would be cool!
But the closing date for entries isn't even until about Christmas time!! :confused: They can't give out offers before then can they?
Reply 32
Onearmedbandit
But the closing date for entries isn't even until about Christmas time!! :confused: They can't give out offers before then can they?

believe me - they can.
Misbah Imtiaz
Advice - Manchester hand out the majority of their rejections in October. A few will be rejected at the end of December (means you were close) and offers tend to come in November/December.

By the way... How did you find out the above?

Jason
Reply 34
THE PROPHETOR!
By the way... How did you find out the above?

Jason

I applied last year. :smile:
I remember only 1 girl got into manchester for law - and she has gone to Oxford anyway. It was a huge shock - our college is in the top 15 in the country and the majority of my class mates that got rejected are at Durham now...
Reply 35
Well I rang Manchester today and got told the reason for my rejection was my choice of A-levels ( as suspected).However I think this is unfair, as in the prospectus they say 'we do not normally accept A-levels with a large practical component'.However music and performing arts are both theoretically based (please don't have a go about perfroming arts as not being 'academic' unless you can give me a full A-level standard offer regarding communist playwrights).Anyway I've decided not to let it bother me, as it wasn't even in my top four university choices.
Reply 36
imogen86
Well I rang Manchester today and got told the reason for my rejection was my choice of A-levels ( as suspected).However I think this is unfair, as in the prospectus they say 'we do not normally accept A-levels with a large practical component'.However music and performing arts are both theoretically based (please don't have a go about perfroming arts as not being 'academic' unless you can give me a full A-level standard offer regarding communist playwrights).Anyway I've decided not to let it bother me, as it wasn't even in my top four university choices.

Manchester have got a knack for giving out unjustified decisions...don't let it get you down. There are plenty of brill (and even better) univeristies out there..
Good Luck :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending