The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No, you get three 3 GCSEs; in your case if you achieve 360+, 3A*s. One each for Biology, Chemistry and Physics. The ISAs are simply a part of each of the GCSEs you receive. The ISA is 25% of your overall grade for each science, and the written/multiple choice papers are 75% of the grade.
Reply 2
piece_by_piece
No, you get three 3 GCSEs; in your case if you achieve 360+, 3A*s. One each for Biology, Chemistry and Physics. The ISAs are simply a part of each of the GCSEs you receive. The ISA is 25% of your overall grade for each science, and the written/multiple choice papers are 75% of the grade.

Yep I know that. But Ive heard from teachers etc that when you finish you get 4 gcses.
It's definitely 3, unless you're doing Additional Applied Science or something similar?
realllyy?? eh..... thats very confusin now- cos i know someon in a different school to mine who has said the same-but wouldnt it make sense that u'd finish with three- the ISAs cannot really be considered as real gcse. :s-smilie:
Reply 5
No its definitely 3, Chemistry, Physics and Biology, 1,2,3! What would the 4th one be?
Reply 6
erm...
No its definitely 3, Chemistry, Physics and Biology, 1,2,3! What would the 4th one be?

Ye, thats what I was wondering. I know the ISAs just 25% of the overall grade i.e B1 + b2, + b3 + ISA = 400 marks - but ive heard that once you've got your grades you'll be given 4 gcses instead of 3 - i have no idea what the 4th is for.

Some people on this forum have said this as well.
Reply 7
O well my school haven't said anything about that. How strange!
Reply 8
It'd be nice to get 4 gcses though.
Reply 9
It's three separate GCSE grades. In double and applied, from what I can gather, you get two that are exactly the same, like AA. In triple, you can get A* for Physics, C for Chemistry and a U in Biology.
Reply 10
mmm yeah it would!
Reply 11
By Double, if you mean Core and Additional, the grades you receive are NOT necessarily the same.
Reply 12
No I think it's definitely 3 GCSE's because the ISA's contribute to Biology Chem + Physics overall, not a seperate GCSE for the ISA's.
Reply 13
MangoTango
It's three separate GCSE grades. In double and applied, from what I can gather, you get two that are exactly the same, like AA. In triple, you can get A* for Physics, C for Chemistry and a U in Biology.

Are you sure. Because before my bio exam i was told i only needed 78 to get an A* - so i didnt try that hard, did the exam badly. i probably only got 80 - does this mean ill get A*A* and an A?
Reply 14
yeah thats to do with UMS. You need 360 UMS to get an A*. Each component is out of 100. So basically you already had 282 UMS points so its perfectly plausible for you to only need 78 to get an A* overall. I wouldn' worry if i was you.
Reply 15
It depends. We've been told Double is always the same two grades, because it's an average of your performance. I shouldn't worry about Triples - I didn't work myself into a state over getting 100% on the Biology exam, because whilst some exams are worth 70% of your final grade, that exam (B3) was only worth 25% of your final grade.
Reply 16
I was just thinking - maybe its this. --

B1 + b2 + p1 +p2 + c1 + c2 + ISA = Double award

then

B3 + p3 + c3 + ISa = The third award?
Reply 17
no definitely not it's
B1 +B2 +b3 + Biology ISA = biology gcse

c1 + c2 + c3 + chemistry ISA = chemistry gcse

p1 + p2 +p3 + physics isa =physics Gcse

and thats your 3 gcse's.
Reply 18
However, I've also been told I have nothing to lose from taking the triple exams, because I can just declare my double grades if I failed my triple exams :s-smilie:
Reply 19
MangoTango
However, I've also been told I have nothing to lose from taking the triple exams, because I can just declare my double grades if I failed my triple exams :s-smilie:

? lol the plot thickens. I'm going to chuck something else in here to confuse everyone.

Some people at my school have done c1,c2, b1,b2, p1,p2 and are only doing c3 and p3 this summer NOT b3? Apparently they were told this was fine and that it made no difference doing b3.

This makes no sense.

Latest