The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I've just realise that we all have tomorrow morning to revise too as it's an afternoon exam. :biggrin:
Reply 41
Yay! That will be time for me to have a quick read over the brief notes i made, just so its fresh in my mind :smile:
Reply 42
I'm doing unit 6 as a resit...i resat unit 5 and went from an E to a B so don't worry if you screw it up this time...there's always next time...

anyways i'm sat here with an A3 sheet of paper with a spider diagram on it that tells me everything i need to know for the exam...so i'm here to help :smile:
Reply 43
Can anyone help me on my other thread?! :smile:
Reply 44
Have done a bit of revision for this unit today but I'm only sitting it as an extra AS (my college is money-hungry) and it's not part of my university offer, so it's a bit pointless really. Likewise doing Units 1, 4 and 6. Are the other units for A2 then?
Reply 45
Absinth
Does anyone know good examples of religious leaders who were inspired by the scriptures which caused them to start practicing their faith?

In terms of religious leaders you dont really need to know any - at least im certainly not aware about the details on any.

You may however need to know about how scripture could inspire faith.

It could do this in a number of ways, but you should aim to break it in to three points:

Inspire a Conversion
By reading religious scripture it could cause an intellectual conversion where a person reads and is influenced by scripture over a period of time.
- An example could be of C.S. Lewis - an atheist who converted after his period of years in which he read the Bible.

Gain knowledge and inspire application of religion
By reading scripture you learn about the religion and it can inspire you to bring your religion in to your life. An example could be that of learning about laws such as the 10 commandments and thus living you life differently.

Inspire imitation of religious leaders
One of the main aspects to religious scripture is the way in which it holds truths and historical acounts of the past. One way it could inspire faith is by teaching people about historical religious figures such as jesus and therefore people are inspired to follow their religion like it had been done in the past.

Hope that helps.

Also i have over 100 pages of typed notes on modules 1, 4 and 6 so if you need help just pm me please!
Reply 46
Good Luck today everyone! :smile:
Reply 47
Flaime I've PMed you, praying you get it before the exam! :P
Reply 48
It's today; panic stations people :sad:
Reply 49
Flaime
In terms of religious leaders you dont really need to know any - at least im certainly not aware about the details on any.

It could do this in a number of ways, but you should aim to break it in to three points:

Inspire a Conversion
By reading religious scripture it could cause an intellectual conversion where a person reads and is influenced by scripture over a period of time.
- An example could be of C.S. Lewis - an atheist who converted after his period of years in which he read the Bible.

By reading scripture you learn about the religion and it can inspire you to bring your religion in to your life. An example could be that of learning about laws such as the 10 commandments and thus living you life differently.

One of the main aspects to religious scripture is the way in which it holds truths and historical acounts of the past. One way it could inspire faith is by teaching people about historical religious figures such as jesus and therefore people are inspired to follow their religion like it had been done in the past.

Hope that helps.

Also i have over 100 pages of typed notes on modules 1, 4 and 6 so if you need help just pm me please!

Thanks. I hope there is a question on the authority of the scriptures. I'm glad to know that I am familiar with all those points!
Reply 50
For the question 'How far justified is it that science negates religion on creation', does anybody have any suggestions of what I could put besides the following points?:

No idea of they're right but they're all I've got for now:

- Science has empirical data backing it up - evidence vs pure speculation of religion
- BUT - could be argued that there's not enough evidence for the Big Bang

- Age of universe - 10-20 bil years - carbon dating, fossil records etc. show earth is a minimum of 4 billion years old - contrast with the creationist view that earth was made 4004 BC
- BUT - creationists dismiss fossil record - God created fossils as a test of faith

- God - eventually pushed out as new scientific data found - will eventually be no need for an originator - merely a deistic God, not interventionist God of Christianity
- BUT - science has not yet explained everything, is far from doing so - hence the creationist God of the gaps - God explains things which science can't.

Finally - could be said both science and religion can be combined, as science answers the 'how' questions, religion answers the 'why' questions.

Anything else to add? I'm really struggling with this bit, revising it last-minute here! :frown:
Reply 51
Science fails to take any faith into account. Also there is the liberal Christian view that the genesis story is more metaphorical and god was involved in the BB and evolution. Your final point makes an expert conclusion , the 'how' and 'why' bit.
Reply 52
Excellent, thank you, somehow the whole liberal Christian view completely passed me by until you mentioned it! Perfect, now I'm a little more confident for the exam :smile:
Reply 53
not long now :frown: good luck!
Reply 54
fait
Cool. I need to revise Religious and Human Experience. :smile:

Btw, does anyone have a kind of guideline of how much to write for each questions?

My teacher tells me around half a page for the 10 markers, 2/3 of a page for the 15 markers and around about a page and half for the 25 markers. Dunno if this is okay, just wanted to know how much do you guess generally write?

Sorry, I missed this post before (but I doubt you'll read this before the exam)!

That is usually the amount I write! I think that is a good amount if all the points are relevant.
Reply 55
So, how did everyone find it?
Reply 56
fweefwee
So, how did everyone find it?

I don't know, not to bad.
Reply 57
Unit 1 was horrible. I mean, I knew what everything meant and gave examples but no way in hell could I stretch visions to 15 marks.

Unit 4 and 6 were ok. I know I didn't do that well which is disappointing, because I should of revised! Oh well though.
Reply 58
The compulsory question on design was awful! So vague and strangely worded I felt!
Reply 59
Flaime

Inspire a Conversion

Hope that helps.

Heh, I can't believe this actually came up in the exam, question 1!

Latest