The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
missgalaxy
Subject:
College:
Interview date:

no, i sent my SAQ back yesterday! I don't know about other colleges but downing has the interviews dates on its website :smile:
Reply 2
!Laxy!
no, i sent my SAQ back yesterday! I don't know about other colleges but downing has the interviews dates on its website :smile:

I sent my SAQ three weeks ago, but haven't got an interview invitation so far
BUT I'm still very optimistic :biggrin:
I was just wondering, whether anyone already got an interview.
Medicine
Emma
Thursday, December 9th
!Laxy!
I don't know about other colleges but downing has the interviews dates on its website :smile:

Right, hypothesis:

There is a test on the day of interview for philosophy applicants. This test is devised by the faculty, and is therefore the same across all colleges. This means that all interviews for philosophy need to be held on the same day, unless a college cannot do this and decides therefore to devise it's own (similarly structured) test. (Last two points courtesy of philosophy DoS at Clare, on an open day a couple of months ago).
Ergo...
If Downing's philosophy interviews are to take place on the 8th of Decemeber, it is highly likely that this will be the provisional date for interviews across the other colleges, too.

...It's at least plausible, right?

ZarathustraX (sick of hearing nothing...)
Reply 5
Zarathustra
Right, hypothesis:

There is a test on the day of interview for philosophy applicants. This test is devised by the faculty, and is therefore the same across all colleges. This means that all interviews for philosophy need to be held on the same day, unless a college cannot do this and decides therefore to devise it's own (similarly structured) test. (Last two points courtesy of philosophy DoS at Clare, on an open day a couple of months ago).
Ergo...
If Downing's philosophy interviews are to take place on the 8th of Decemeber, it is highly likely that this will be the provisional date for interviews across the other colleges, too.

...It's at least plausible, right?

ZarathustraX (sick of hearing nothing...)

I would agree with that, yes.
Adhsur
I would agree with that, yes.

Yaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: (Best of luck to anyone else still hoping for an invite to one of those! *grumbles about Newn for millionth time*)

:tsr:

ZarathustraX
Reply 7
Received my SAQ yesterday and havent even sent it off yet. But got another letter from Cambridge today!!!

Subject: Maths
College: Clare
Date: 8th December 2:30 and 3:30

YAY! I think?
Reply 8
Subject: Natural Sciences, Physical
College: St John's
Date: 25th October, 9:25 AM

Uhmm, BAD.
I'm an international applicant and I chose to be interviewed in Singapore, so we (me and my buddies) were interviewed first. Mine just went plain bad. My interviewer was a Pure Mathematician and knew close to nothing about science and scientific developments. It started off good, with a 5 minute general component, but as he launched into the some differentiation maths question the neurons in my cranium disintegrated at 10^9 neurons/second. I hardly did that question at all, he did about 90% of it. I actually managed to solve the problem later that night, and it was actually pretty easy. We went onto another maths question based on the previous one; much easier this time, although it did take me much longer than I should've. That was about all the time we had; I left the room, bitter and disappointed.

I went in expecting a panel of interviewers and was surprised to see only one interviewer. I went out expecting to be called for a second interview; turns out there isn't one. So yes, BAD perfectly sums up that day (which also happened to be my 17th Birthday). It'll take a friggin' miracle for Cambridge to give me an offer now.
Reply 9
branng

Uhmm, BAD.
I'm an international applicant and I chose to be interviewed in Singapore, so we (me and my buddies) were interviewed first. Mine just went plain bad. My interviewer was a Pure Mathematician and knew close to nothing about science and scientific developments. It started off good, with a 5 minute general component, but as he launched into the some differentiation maths question the neurons in my cranium disintegrated at 10^9 neurons/second. I hardly did that question at all, he did about 90% of it. I actually managed to solve the problem later that night, and it was actually pretty easy. We went onto another maths question based on the previous one; much easier this time, although it did take me much longer than I should've. That was about all the time we had; I left the room, bitter and disappointed.

I went in expecting a panel of interviewers and was surprised to see only one interviewer. I went out expecting to be called for a second interview; turns out there isn't one. So yes, BAD perfectly sums up that day (which also happened to be my 17th Birthday). It'll take a friggin' miracle for Cambridge to give me an offer now.

there's still hope mate! I'll be hoping you get in...you still owe me a segway!
Reply 10
I thought that first letter was an interview invitation thing? The interview system implied that anyway. And I really can't see why they'd want me to write them an essay if they didn't want me to be interviewed - it'd be an awful waste of their time and mine! Emma gave a timetable of provisional dates for all subjects and for Bio NatSci is between 13th-15th Dec. If they're gonna ask me to submit an essay they better give me an interview cus I don't have the time to just do a random essay for no reason! And seeing as the latest date for submission of the SAQ is the 10th Nov while they'll be sending me essay titles on the third... I'm presuming I have an interview.
Reply 11
branng

Uhmm, BAD.

Out of interest is your surname Ng? :biggrin: Reminds me of when I was at Letton Hall and this leader told me to say my surname to everyone as loud as I can. Now imagine what that'd be like! :biggrin: I laughed so much I couldn't do it until ages lol.

And on the point of interviews - until they've rejected you, you still have hope. Don't worry. Hope you get in!
Reply 12
Willa: did he ask you stuff you hadn´t covered in school?
Reply 13
irisng
Out of interest is your surname Ng? :biggrin: Reminds me of when I was at Letton Hall and this leader told me to say my surname to everyone as loud as I can. Now imagine what that'd be like! :biggrin: I laughed so much I couldn't do it until ages lol.

And on the point of interviews - until they've rejected you, you still have hope. Don't worry. Hope you get in!

Yes, my surname is Ng. I do get quite a laugh everytime someone pronounces my surname wrong... "Neg", "Ngrrr", "Ngeh". Everyone else around me also gets a laugh, but for a different reason. LOL.

Oh BTW ye Cambridge people. Could you all organise a public protest demanding "Brandon Ng" of Brunei Darussalam, intending to read Chemical Engineering through Natural Sciences, be granted entry into St John's in 2005? Thanks :wink: I'll be watching BBC. :tongue:
Reply 14
branng
Yes, my surname is Ng. I do get quite a laugh everytime someone pronounces my surname wrong... "Neg", "Ngrrr", "Ngeh". Everyone else around me also gets a laugh, but for a different reason. LOL.

Oh BTW ye Cambridge people. Could you all organise a public protest demanding "Brandon Ng" of Brunei Darussalam, intending to read Chemical Engineering through Natural Sciences, be granted entry into St John's in 2005? Thanks :wink: I'll be watching BBC. :tongue:

Yay I'm applying for NatSci too! Although Biological NatSci, at Emma.

Laugh for a different reason? What reason? Lol yeh I get called a variety of things! There was a phase when I corrected everyone, but now I have given up. They can call me whatever. And spelling it is a nightmare. They ask "what's your surname?" I say "N G" and they ask "How do you spell it?" And I say, "Just N G." And they ask "Just N G?" And it's like, it's only two letters it's not that difficult!!!!!!!! And banks - rubbish at names too. I never pronounce my surname anymore cus they always ask again, "No, what's your surname?" and "No, your surname please."
Reply 15
Received my SAQ yesterday and havent even sent it off yet. But got another letter from Cambridge today!!!
Subject: Maths
College: Clare
Date: 8th December 2:30 and 3:30

YAY! I think?

Ooohhhh!! You've applied to Clare ? :smile:
I'm on the same day as well!

Subject:Maths
College:Clare
Date: 8th Dec 2004 - 1:50/2:50

Do you have Dr M Dunajski & Dr A G Thomason interviewing you?
Reply 16
Yes, those exact people. Youll probably see me there!
irisng
Emma gave a timetable of provisional dates for all subjects and for Bio NatSci is between 13th-15th Dec.

Oooh. Does it say that the philosophy ones are on the 8th, by any chance? (lol, sorry, still trying to check if they're all the same!).

So, those of you who've heard - are you supposed to treck up to Cam on the same day as all your interviews, or go the day before and stay somewhere? I'm guessing some interviews must be in the morning if they're going to get through them all...

ZarathustraX

PS: Best of luck branng - don't give up hope yet :biggrin:

:tsr:
On my SAQ it says that interviews will be held the week of the 6th December, but I don't think I'll be getting an exact date until after I've sent the SAQ back, the deadline being 10th November. Unless they just hate me. :biggrin:
Reply 19
I'll look out for you :smile:

Still can't believe I got the date so soon - I haven't sent the SAQ off yet.
What other unis have you applied to?

Zarathursta- In my interview pack it says that if you've got your interview over two days or a long journey there, you can have overnight accommodation and meals! (all free as well). Thats only for Clare, but I guess the other colleges must be similar.

Latest

Trending

Trending