The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

We weren't allowed to hand in any drafts for our History coursework, so I got my dad to proofread it for me, and help me reword a few sentences here and there so they sounded better. He had no knowledge of History, and it didn't change anything fundamental. TBH if that's cheating then I don't know what handing in 6 different drafts to our English teacher which then come back heavily corrected is.
electriic_ink
Whilst that's true, I know someone who cut-and-pasted his brother's English coursework and stuck his name on it. Despite the copied coursework being an A grade and the rest of the coursework he did himself being Cs, no-one has yet noticed.

Coursework cheating sounds like a pretty good idea to me - average risk, high reward. Wish I'd thought of it at the start of Year 10 :rolleyes:

Yes but usually if you get caught a HUGE deal is made about it. I tried to copy a few pages of Key Skills ICT from a mate and got pwned by my teachers!
Reply 22
I absolutely despise coursework and think that the fact people cheat and get away with it so frequently just proves how much of a sham it is.

For me, I perform much better under pressure in examined conditions, and I feel I didn't do myself justice in my coursework. Not because I found it difficult, but because I found it boring, pointless and think that it only narrows the boundaries between good brains and weaker brains as it is so easy (with the exception of English coursework, perhaps). Some girls at my school who are really not at all clever were getting As and A*s in their coursework, and whilst they won't perform so well in exams, it could easily bring their grades up. I don't know why that annoys me; without intending to sound arrogant, it doesn't seem to me like a justified way to test intelligence/ability or separate the true brains from the mediocre ones. Just me? :biggrin:

Helena in Bristol
handing in 6 different drafts to our English teacher which then come back heavily corrected

That in itself is cheating, on your teacher's part. They aren't allowed to write on any of your coursework material, draft or otherwise. They can give you verbal advice, which you can then note down, but they cannot technically 'correct' it. A stupid rule I think, but a rule nonetheless, so both instances - your dad rewording your work and your teacher correcting your English - are both cheating, technically.

Even though your dad may have no prior knowledge, he is still to account for your work not being entirely your own. Which I also think is silly; but it's the way coursework works, and is another example of how coursework is basically all a product of 'cheating' in some form.
Reply 23
I don't mind coursework, But I certainly don't blame anyone for getting help from older relatives.
Reply 24
imtired
The reason i'm for getting rid of coursework is because it's marked by teachers, even though it's easy and i always do well in them.

Ditto. Most of my teachers really dislike me, and my marks reflect that. Not because the work isn't good; they just can't bring themselves to give me As or A*s - at least I know in exams the examiner won't know who I am and will have to give me as fair a mark as anyone else.
Reply 25
hgm127
Ditto. Most of my teachers really dislike me, and my marks reflect that. Not because the work isn't good; they just can't bring themselves to give me As or A*s - at least I know in exams the examiner won't know who I am and will have to give me as fair a mark as anyone else.

Although that's not happening to me i know other people that have had this problem. I also don't like how teachers choose if you're doing higher or lower tier exams. I got an A in one of the mock exams at GCSE and i was put in lower tier for the summer exam, which meant i could only get an overall C, and that was the only C i got in any exam which ruined my grades.
I have a mixed opinion on coursework...I think it's a good idea in general, but obviously is vulnerable to cheating and abuse. I definitely disagree with this new thing that coursework has to be done in controlled conditions under a time limit so teachers can prove it's your own work, even though I suppose it would reduce the risk of cheating. I personally did most of my coursework at home and spent more time on it than teachers say you should, e.g. my friend's ICT teacher told them they should takeabout 1 hour doing each of hardware and software, when it took me the whole evening to do them, around 3 hours on each. Having to do it in controlled conditions would mean that I'd rush it and therefore not produce my best work, and IMO timed conditions defeats the object of coursework because the exam is in timed conditions- coursework is mant to be an extended piece of work that you take your time on and do your own research on...if it's in controlled conditions the course might as well be 100% exam, so I'm glad we missed out on that new regulation.

In some subjects, like English, I think it is a good idea, but in Maths and Sciences it should be scrapped altogether IMO. The science coursework that we have to do is more of an essay writing test than scientific IMO, and in our Core Science GCSE it brought virtually everyone's mark down by a huge amount, bringing some people's mark down by an entire grade. Saying that though, the good thing with coursework is that it gives you reassurance with exams that at least you have x% of the marks and takes the pressure off a bit.
you do realise when most people say they got LOADSS of help - they are generally lying to make it seem like they put no effort in.
its similar to when people say 'oh i havent revised at all!' and then they go and get 100% :rolleyes:
just focus on your work and how you're doing. dont bother with what other people are doing/saying.

Latest