The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

foxhound
I just finished my bmat test. it was the worst test i have seen in my life.

as a result i have written this email and sent it to bmat and i am consdering sending a similar one to the universities involved. see if u guys agree with me and reply back to this
thread ;

Dear Bmat,

I have just sat this years BMAT test to find the test absolutely appalling.

How are you expected to have any time to even think in that exam? And i would like to know

how the test represents critical thinking and aptitude, when

a) the questions you have set are ridiculous in the sense that they are nothing like even

the hardest of the GCSE or Key Stage 4 exams as you have specified in your syllabus

b) they have no relation to a normal persons ability to think critically

c) such problems on the paper NEVER have to be dealt with on a medicine course (i have

several family members practicing medicine, who like me, have agreed that the type of

questions set are nonsense, not just in their own right - but in the time constraints in

which you have to solve them).

How do you expect a person to solve 30+ questions in 30 mins? So thats less than 60

seconds on each question? - a question which is so confusing it doesnt even test material

learnt but rather tests your abilty to sift through rubbish.
I would like to see any one of the people at bmat, complete the test paper and achieve

more than half marks. A simple question such as multiplying a 3 digit number by another 3

digit number takes about 60 seconds and you want students to work out questions which make

no sense?

This test on the contrary to its name, tests nothing. And since it's multiple choice, if

someone ever did get a good score, it was probably 80% due to luck of shading in of a

random circle on the answer sheet. How universities find this test to be worthy is beyond me.

What i request from BMAT is, for the developers of the test to sit down and to take a long

hard think about this test, its structure, the validity of the questions and the time

limit. The selection procedure to enter into a university is already as hap-hazard as it

can be without fools like the developers of the BMAT test thrusting this on to students

who have more important subjects to worry about.

Regards,

Mr.J.Fox.

to be honest i don't think they'll really take much notice of your email but if you insist
Reply 61
u say that. but someone has to do something about it. just cant sit down and hope for everything to be fine.
Reply 62
foxhound
u say that. but someone has to do something about it. just cant sit down and hope for everything to be fine.

LOL! They're not going to pay a blind bit of notice. You're not expected to finish the paper, the questions are supposed to stretch you, and it's obviously not going to be like your GCSE/AS/A2 science exams, because they know you can do these sorts of papers - they've got your grades. Calm down, everyone found it hard, and you'll probably do better than you think. You'll never get into a uni with the attitude you're displaying above!
it was BAD...but...chillax...
can anyone remember what question 3 was from section 3? I just did section 2... didnt even look - since i ran out of time for first 2 sections.... thought it was quite intelligent to start as quickly as possible..
darkenergy
can anyone remember what question 3 was from section 3? I just did section 2... didnt even look - since i ran out of time for first 2 sections.... thought it was quite intelligent to start as quickly as possible..

It was - if we had genes from stone age type then the only way to be healthy was to do methods from the stone age
I was wondering what the views are from people who did the bmat and went to the special preparation course for it.
Reply 67
wot did ppl write for section 3, mine was all bout their active lifestyles hence it may be deemed as a failure
Reply 68
chaitanya1986
I was wondering what the views are from people who did the bmat and went to the special preparation course for it.

There was a course preparation for it?
Reply 69
foxhound
I just finished my bmat test. it was the worst test i have seen in my life.

as a result i have written this email and sent it to bmat and i am consdering sending a similar one to the universities involved. see if u guys agree with me and reply back to this
thread ;

Dear Bmat,

I have just sat this years BMAT test to find the test absolutely appalling.

How are you expected to have any time to even think in that exam? And i would like to know

how the test represents critical thinking and aptitude, when

a) the questions you have set are ridiculous in the sense that they are nothing like even

the hardest of the GCSE or Key Stage 4 exams as you have specified in your syllabus

b) they have no relation to a normal persons ability to think critically

c) such problems on the paper NEVER have to be dealt with on a medicine course (i have

several family members practicing medicine, who like me, have agreed that the type of

questions set are nonsense, not just in their own right - but in the time constraints in

which you have to solve them).

How do you expect a person to solve 30+ questions in 30 mins? So thats less than 60

seconds on each question? - a question which is so confusing it doesnt even test material

learnt but rather tests your abilty to sift through rubbish.
I would like to see any one of the people at bmat, complete the test paper and achieve

more than half marks. A simple question such as multiplying a 3 digit number by another 3

digit number takes about 60 seconds and you want students to work out questions which make

no sense?

This test on the contrary to its name, tests nothing. And since it's multiple choice, if

someone ever did get a good score, it was probably 80% due to luck of shading in of a

random circle on the answer sheet. How universities find this test to be worthy is beyond me.

What i request from BMAT is, for the developers of the test to sit down and to take a long

hard think about this test, its structure, the validity of the questions and the time

limit. The selection procedure to enter into a university is already as hap-hazard as it

can be without fools like the developers of the BMAT test thrusting this on to students

who have more important subjects to worry about.

Regards,

Mr.J.Fox.

They probably won't like the tone of it, but I do agree with some points.
Although they need a test that can stretch the top students of the top students...
blabber92
There was a course preparation for it?

yer- there were some from kaplan but thats like £300 for a couple of days but i should have gone to a £60 somewhere nearby, I guess i regret it now :frown:
Reply 71
that email to the BMAT organisers is one of the most ridiculous complaints I have ever seen.

for one thing, they might have taken you more seriously had you considered teeny things like occasionally inserting an apostrophe..
Reply 72
Aimée123
LOL! They're not going to pay a blind bit of notice. You're not expected to finish the paper, the questions are supposed to stretch you, and it's obviously not going to be like your GCSE/AS/A2 science exams, because they know you can do these sorts of papers - they've got your grades. Calm down, everyone found it hard, and you'll probably do better than you think. You'll never get into a uni with the attitude you're displaying above!

Precisely. I took the twelve-minute I.Q. test and returned a score of 136 with in excess of twenty questions unanswered. Were the average result 2%, then 5% would be exemplary. It's all relative :rolleyes:
Reply 73
You dont understand. The exam is there to differentiate between the top candidates. but how can the results of the exam do this, if all the candidates had to guess a lot of the answers? Someone who gets a high score probably just got lucky with his guessing.

Instead they should increase the time limit a little, and penalise incorrect answers- that would prevent candidates from simply guessing.
Reply 74
am i the only person who thinks a test like this BEFORE you've been to medical school would be kind of pointless?
Reply 75
take your point - i think it would be difficult to show people clips of surgery (for e.g.) and make them analyse these or whatever. you could get them to suggest what they thought was going on, but i don't think they would have enough knowledge for it to have much point. it would not (imo) be a better "stimulus material" for discussion than existing things.

only benefit i can see really is it would weed out gore-shy wannabes..

Latest