The Student Room Group

AQA a couple of synoptic queries

Hey I'm revising chem and have a couple of quick queries. If anyone can help that would be brill.

module 5

1. Is scandium a transition metal or not?

-It's atom has a partially filled 3d sub level but it's ion Sc 3+ doesn't. In the text book it says "a transition metal must have a partially filled 3d sub level in atom or ion." But in revision guide it says the ion must be have the partially filled sub level.

module 2

2. I thought delta H= Q/moles but in text book it does delta H= (Q * Mr)/mass. Does anyone know which one is right?

Thanks!! :biggrin:
Yeah I think Scandium is a transition metal because its atom has a partially filled 3d obrital. I usual count all 'd' block elements as transition metal, I don't know if i'm wrong or right to do that.

They're the same as Moles is mass/mr so Q/(mass/mr) is the same as (Q x Mr)/mass
Reply 2
I know zinc isn't a transition metal because it always has a full 3d sub level and that's in the transition elements...

I don't know if I'm being stupid but isn't Q/ (mass/Mr) the same as (Q * mass)/ Mr -that's why I'm confused because in the book they've written it the other way up!?

Xx
No, when dividing by fractions you slip the second fraction and times.

imagine it as...

(Q/1)/(mass/Mr)

this is rewritten as Q/1 x Mr/mass

Hence (Q x Mr)/Mass
Reply 4
Ah brilliant, thank you so much!:smile:

Latest