The Student Room Group

The state of our markers

It would be nice if some of them read the damn books. Check out post 3 here:

http://www.tes.co.uk/section/staffroom/thread.aspx?story_id=2624039&path=/english/&threadPage=1&messagePage=1

Still, it seems most of them are making an effort. I hope I get one who actually has read Mockingbird. Then again, if you don't know what you are talking about you might be better off with someone who hasn't read the book.

Also, post 4 on the same page. Apparently some markers aren't even teachers...

After having a look at the application process to be a marker, it doesn't look very hard. Basically if you can get two people to vouch for you, you're in.
that is pretty shocking. i was thinking though for things like history and english lit where there is a really wide range of stuff to know and be familiar with (e.g. lit: 48 poems, like 6 novels, 4 plays and 2 non-fiction texts) that is a lot and it is unlikely that they will be that familiar with all of them. it is not good.....
What do you do about texts you have not read - do you read them first or get a synopsis of the gist of plot, character etc?

you should have damn wekk read the ones i wrote about whoever is marking mine otherwise i will be pi$$ed off!
hughey
you should have damn wekk read the ones i wrote about whoever is marking mine otherwise i will be pi$$ed off!

I wouldn't complain. You're likely to be awarded a higher grade if the examiner doesn't even know what they're looking for!
Reply 4
Except they'll mark you more on your style of writing than what you know. That punishes those who have read the book and put effort in, but find it harder to express their ideas, as opposed to those hwo can waffle eloquently but haven't learnt the book.
Don't be surprised to see some examiners religiously use their markschemes as their only source of knowledge though.
Reply 6
That is a little worrying, but I suppose could work in our advantage, as electriic_ink said. I'm unhappy with how I did in 'Of Mice and Men' and so would much rather my marker didn't know the book! :biggrin:
Reply 7
this is shocking, im sorry i feel rather insulted that we do all the hard work, and the examier may not have even read our book :frown:
As has been said, it could work to your advantage. If they don't know your particular novel too well then they are likely to be more impressed on what you've picked up on.

It might be a bit much to expect them to know all the novels and poems off by heart! As long as they can interpret what you've written with regard to the novel they should mark perfectly fairly.

Latest