The Student Room Group
Reply 1
starcarton
Don't know if im in the right place, but I wanted to know how likely is it that you will get an unconditional offer from top unis? I mean I see people on here with unconditional offers from places like UCL, Warwick, KCL etc. and I just wanted to know how often do they do that at top unis?

Almost exclusively when you already have your grades.
Reply 2
That really only happens when you apply post A-levels, so you already have your results.
For a competitive course an unconditional offer otherwise would be incredibly rare, though Cambridge do occasionally give out EE offers
Reply 3
Well if you've done your A levels you'll get unconditional offers as there's nothing outstanding to base your offer on.

If you're asking about unconditional offers when you still have exams to do, I'm unsure. But I heard that even Oxbridge technically have to give you an offer of EE (think that's the UCAS minimum or something) no matter how much they want you.
Reply 4
~Ollie~
For a competitive course an unconditional offer otherwise would be incredibly rare, though Cambridge do occasionally give out EE offers

I read that one in three conditions offers from Christ's College, Cambridge are EE.
Reply 5
what is an EE offer?
Reply 6
alex_hk90
I read that one in three conditions offers from Christ's College, Cambridge are EE.

Damn them...:mad: I would so love an EE offer

EE offer is when the only condition is upon gaining two passes at A-level (ie E grades), so it is in effect an unconditional offer
Reply 7
~Ollie~
Damn them...:mad: I would so love an EE offer

One of my friends has one, but they also say you have to sit 2 AEA papers (one can be STEP) so there is a down-side to it.
Yeah, an EE offer is like saying to someone "Get over two E's in your A levels and you're in".

To a Cambridge applicant, that is practically unconditional.
Reply 9
1 in 3 :eek: so erm i know where i'm applying next year :p:
Reply 10
alex_hk90
One of my friends has one, but they also say you have to sit 2 AEA papers (one can be STEP) so there is a down-side to it.

Do they specify a grade they need to get in them, because if not I guess you could just go and sleep in the exam? :p:
~Ollie~
Do they specify a grade they need to get in them, because if not I guess you could just go and sleep in the exam? :p:

No, you are allowed to fail. But they only give it to people who they think won't like to get a Merit, let alone a Fail (such as my friend).
I suggested to him that it would be fun to take random AEAs in subjects he doesn't even do, but he wasn't having any of it. :p:
Reply 12
alex_hk90
No, you are allowed to fail. But they only give it to people who they think won't like to get a Merit, let alone a Fail (such as my friend).
I suggested to him that it would be fun to take random AEAs in subjects he doesn't even do, but he wasn't having any of it. :p:

Haha that would be hilarious - just go in and see how much random crap you can put down.
That's the thing about EE offers I guess - they would almost always go to people who are very motivated anyway and are unlikely to get anything less than AAAAA anyway! A bit pointless I guess...

Latest