The Student Room Group

OCR MEI FP1 2nd June

Allright guys! :smile:

FP1 exam on monday - im dreadin it for some reason

how are people feeling for the exam?

has anyone got any tips for revision?

i should be confident as the only area im weak on is induction :s-smilie:
i always have trouble on the algabraic step involving the taking out of terms etc (if you dont understand me i must be doing it wrong lol)

thanks in advance! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yeh im doing fp1 on monday what school you at? i live in warrington also weird were both doin mei in warrington
at culcheth sixth form u?
do they teach it in your college?
Reply 3
yeh im at lymm. this would be weird but did you go croft primary?
i think your year is the firsst at your col to teach it in the college itself :s
i have to on fmaths network, its okayish

haha no i didnt! went twiss green, did u go croft?
what other a levels u doing?
Reply 5
chem, phys, maths n further. yeh are college just started doin it, 5 lessons a week, so fp1 should be a doddle. stats tho; hate it!
i hate stats so much, on the core mods im hoping ive done really well im sure so not much pressure of stats

fp1 a doddle! its not bad - i know all the content, i just need to sit down and do it properly without watchin tv or any distractions lol
Reply 7
Arghh I'm dreading this!

I can do everything really....except for matrix transformations..and induction...and... and...well yeh. Oh god..I'm gonna fail! Must start revising...soon :frown:
yeah matrix transformation are hard sort of
just test it out with the 1 by 1 sqaure if you arent sure

remember rules for composite matrices

and how the discriminant cant tell you a lot before you start doing things

i personally hate induction lol
Reply 9
aww no the satisfaction of doing a good old proof. or those sum of r3 r2 things is immense. what you mean about composite matrices? disciriminany tells you quite alot doesnt it lol. area scale factor and the divisor for every term in the matrix? lets exchange soem tips
yeah lets exchange i need as many as i can get

the standard results induction thing is easy as, its the proof of k + 1 and SOMETIMES summation can be hard in my opinion

what are the methods of summation again, method of differences and ...?

composite matrices represent a transformation followed by another transformation so transformation A follow by transformation B, form the composite matrix BA

composite: made up of more than one

discriminant is well useful yeah - area factor, what do you mean about divisor for every term?

if discriminate is 0, then the simultaneous equations its representing have no roots or infinate roots
Reply 11
If you need any help with OCR (MEI) FP1, then this pack should help you out. Just go to the link below and find MEI FP1.

http://rapidshare.com/users/NDV9KF

I'm assuming those of you who are taught by the Further Maths Network would have access to most of this material already, but if not, then its available for you guys to download right now.

The only thing I didn't like with FP1 and Chapter 5 was the proof by induction with U(k) = ......./U(k+1) = ....... I just couldn't do those ones. And guess what? It came up this Jan 08. Which sucked. Oh well. Make sure you can do that.

Good luck and keep up the revision! :smile:
btw how are you supposed to conclude proofs by induction?
like i just say

hence ny induction when n = k + 1 true, so true when n = k for all values n > 0 (if thats the case outlined at the beginning)?
Reply 13
jus like if the matrix is 1/8(6 7) then every term gets divided by an 8th is all i meant.
(5 8)
lol nothing really. The papers dont nomally throw up any surprises. graphical calculators are ur best friend! method of diffrences is just obtaining an expression for the sum of n terms, in terms of n only. i always find the substition method easier for the roots of equation. uno if it says find the equation woth roots 2b+1 then w=2x+1 so x=(w-1)/2 and stick x back into the given equation. complex numbers are basic, modulus argument form is r(cos0+jsin0) where the angle is in radians. measured from positive real axis, anything below the x axis is a negative angle anything above is positive.
Reply 14
I always say. This is in the same form as the original result but with k+1 replacing k. therefore if true for n=h true for n=k+1 and because true for n=1 true for all positive integer values of k.
Reply 15
witness the sickness
btw how are you supposed to conclude proofs by induction?
like i just say

hence ny induction when n = k + 1 true, so true when n = k for all values n > 0 (if thats the case outlined at the beginning)?

"If the result is true when n=k, then the result is true when n=k+1.
As the result is true for n=1, it is true for all n >= 1 by induction."

That's how we were taught it exactly. :eek: :cool: :biggrin:
Reply 16
I actually prefer FP2. That wasn't too bad an exam. Dreading this, though - so much **** to learn. I hate learning formulae etc. There's all that polynomial complex roots bull**** with alpha, beta, abcd etc. Blech!
i basically fiull mark section a everytime, but on section b i always get caught out and lose too many marks :s-smilie:
finaaaaalllllllllllly a breakthrough!

70 out of 72

paper june 06

must be an easy paper

but im happy and more confident about the exam :biggrin:

I actually prefer FP2. That wasn't too bad an exam. Dreading this, though - so much **** to learn. I hate learning formulae etc. There's all that polynomial complex roots bull**** with alpha, beta, abcd etc. Blech!
really? we've covered most of the two biggest topics - matrices and complex - for FP2 already. my FP2 book dwarfs the FP1 equivalent.

anyway, i have to do very well with this because i've screwed up FP2 and M3. i really don't want to get a B in my AS even though it doesn't count for anything.

Latest