The Student Room Group

Design/Art Foundation Course Portfolio?

Hello, first post!
Sorry if this has been posted already or is really naive of me,

but i want to apply for an art/design foundation course but need a portfolio for entry and i have absoulutely (sp?) NO IDEA what needs to go in it par..
Sketches, drawings, illustrations, digital work etc. which isnt really detailed enough.

Can any one give any advice, criteria, specifications or standerd of quality of work that needs to be in it? as in does it need to follow a particular subject, style?

All ive done is GCSE and AS level graphic design portfolio's following a chosen subject involving research, planning, initial and developed 2D and 3D design concepts and finals, pratical work and manufacturing, production methods etc...

Sorry for the length, any feed back would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
Reply 1
Well applying to a foundation they appreciate that the only art education you're had has been along side other subjects and may not have been top notch. Best bet you can do is collect your a level stuff (I wouldn't include GCSE stuff) and sort it. Pick out your favourite pieces, choose pieces which show skill in several media, pieces which show your ability to draw, pieces which show experimentation. As well as this include some which show development of your ideas. Photographs etc.

Really your portfolio at this stage is just showing your dedication to your subject and also pieces which show your potential and current skill level.

Then present it as best you can, and be prepared to talk till the cows come home about your stuff.

My experience is from Fine art rather than graphic design but it should be of some help to you. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks alot, thats really helpful
So is it not necessary for the portfolio to follow a theme/subject or is it just simply a collection of my best work?
Again cheers!
Reply 3
I'm not doing art or had to collect a portfolio together but i have a few ideas.

1) Make sure its really nicely presented. Show your creativity in the way you put the portfolio together. ie. where you place the pictures on the page, have you got bits hanging off, fold-ups etc. to make it look interesting. Also you could perhaps invest in good quality backing card (perhaps black) to make it look stylish. get it properly bound etc.

2) in my opinion you should perhaps do a section which is themed, as well as other random drawings. I would do this because you could then show that you can do all the stages you mentioned in your graphisc course. if you wanted you could even do a whole new theme which your more interested in an can tailor more to show off.

3) use lots of different styles if possible to show off your different skills.

4) obviously it should be your best work possible :biggrin:

All of these suggestions were probably quite obvious ones and none of them are from experience, just from ideas i've got personally. hope any of this rambling helped you, but you should probably listen more to those who've gone through the experience them selves. that said hope this helps and good luck with your portfolio.
Reply 4
Also just googled as i was interested myself and the folowing articles look good:
http://www.artschools.com/articles/portfolio/
http://www.teachervision.fen.com/visual-arts/teaching-methods/30073.html
http://bsu.edu/art/article/0,1894,278699-17545-44252,00.html

There are other articles about...you'll usually find them if you google. Hope these also helped you.
Reply 5
Brilliant!
Thanks alot they are really helpful articles,
And cheers for the advice i'l keep it in mind!
Cheers again
Objective drawings :rolleyes:

Latest