The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you want to go on to PhD, you may or may not have to do an extra year - most French doctoral courses require you to have 5 years of university education pre-PhD.

I also gather that doctoral courses in France involve toiling as a minion for an already established academic on their interests rather than working independently on your own stuff.

Master's courses though...not really sure. If you're not already French then you have to do a language test, that's all I know. Will ask my boyfriend tonight - he did his master's in England but is bound to know people who did theirs in France :smile:
Angelil
If you want to go on to PhD, you may or may not have to do an extra year - most French doctoral courses require you to have 5 years of university education pre-PhD.

I also gather that doctoral courses in France involve toiling as a minion for an already established academic on their interests rather than working independently on your own stuff.

Master's courses though...not really sure. If you're not already French then you have to do a language test, that's all I know. Will ask my boyfriend tonight - he did his master's in England but is bound to know people who did theirs in France :smile:

Angelil ! The all-time best Francophile :hugs:

I am doing a Maîtrise en Droit - masters.
No problems with a language test, I was hoping for more of an insight as to how things are done, like lectures? Do students contribute .. that sort :smile:
Reply 3
I know that relationships between students and lecturers generally in French universities are much more formal than they are here - definitely 'Professor Lastname' rather than just 'Firstname'. Will ask on the other stuff though :smile:
Angelil - You are going to Paris aussi!
wow! Looks like our "Paris TSR Meet Up" might actually happen .... hehe

Are you doing postgraduate stuff too?

Yes - my lecturers (as I go to French Law Lectures in French) are very conservative but there is room for student contribution ... just don't want to make a fool out of myself when I get there ....

Having said that my heart starts pumping like mad!!
I am actually going to pack my bags and live in Paris forever become an avocat - although their clothing is rather embarrasing.
Reply 5
Nope, I'm done with being a student :biggrin: And probably not moving out to Paris until September 09 now...
OMD!!! Sept 09 !! my course starts then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :gawdrop:

I am actually soo excited - its a bit sad I know - but I simply can't wait - the language, the culture, the food, the geography ... I wanna go NOW!!! arhh!

Same here .... this is Incroyable !! I bet we will book the same flight too !! hehehe

I would just like someone to tell me what it is like - accomodation at uni, do they have seminars etc...
Reply 7
lol I don't think you'll find too many people on here who know about it. I put up a thread a few months ago when I was still considering postgrad education in Paris and nobody replied.

Have sent an email to my boyfriend with a link to this thread in it now so either he will come along soon to tell you the answers or he'll tell me what to put later :biggrin:
that is very nice of your bf - give him :hugs: from me ... do you think wes could give answers? I think he goes to an Institution in Paris? hmm
Reply 9
wes might be able to help, though of course he's doing an undergrad degree.

Boyfriend says:
the closest thing to a seminar would be "TD" for travaux dirigés, perhaps google it to find out more...
getting accommodation is quite different apparently, there is uni accommodation but it's mostly means-tested. apparently it's a bit rubbish and dangerous anyway :p: Don't expect to find anything below 500-700 euros a month in Paris. Flat-sharing is an option as well of course though apparently the more 'diverse' individuals are more likely to steal from you than in the UK :p:
and have a look on French fora for Law students :smile:
Angelil
wes might be able to help, though of course he's doing an undergrad degree.

Boyfriend says:
the closest thing to a seminar would be "TD" for travaux dirigés, perhaps google it to find out more...
and have a look on French fora for Law students :smile:

Thanks a lot - is your bf (lucky you :hubba:) on TSR - so I can rep him. :smile:
Reply 11
yeah, he is, he's Joshua Lyman (though as you can tell he rarely comes on here lol).
Angelil
yeah, he is, he's Joshua Lyman (though as you can tell he rarely comes on here lol).

yeah lol
Total Posts: 6 (0.01 posts per day)
that is like a word of the post a day!! :afraid:

You can have it - but tell Joshua (he is awesome all the same) :p:
Reply 13
aw thanks :smile:
Reply 14
We work with the L-M-D (Licence - Master - Doctorat) :
Bachelor = Licence
Master = Master (Licence + 2 years)
PhD = Doctorat (Master + 3 years)
I don't know much about the course, though, sorry !

In which uni you'd like to study in Paris ?
Anatheme
We work with the L-M-D (Licence - Master - Doctorat) :
Bachelor = Licence
Master = Master (Licence + 2 years)
PhD = Doctorat (Master + 3 years)
I don't know much about the course, though, sorry !

In which uni you'd like to study in Paris ?

Hello Anatheme, I am going to be going to Sorbonne. I am enrolled now but I don't know about French Education, and would like to start early as opposed to leaving it to the last minute
Reply 16
Paris I ??? There are Paris-Sorbonne, Panthéon-Sorbonne and la Sorbonne-Nouvelle, so saying "La Sorbonne" doesn't really help XD.
Anatheme
Paris I ??? There are Paris-Sorbonne, Panthéon-Sorbonne and la Sorbonne-Nouvelle, so saying "La Sorbonne" doesn't really help XD.

Ha ha - sorry I am so used to saying Sorbonne on its own! :smile:
University of Paris I (Pantheon-Sorbonne)
Reply 18
Okidoke. Never thought of Paris II Panthéon-Assas ? Quite renown in France to be the best for Law, lol
no unfortunately - I am enrolled at Paris I
Have you been to the Uni of Paris?

Latest

Trending

Trending