The Student Room Group

Is Ephebophilia morally wrong?

Ephebophilia has been defined as the primary or exclusive sexual attraction to adolescents, as opposed to children which is known as paedophilia

Wikipedia says:

Attraction to adolescents is not generally regarded by psychologists as pathological except when it interferes with other relationships, becomes an obsession which adversely affects other areas of life, or causes distress to the subject.Sexual desire that includes adolescents, as well as older individuals, is common among adults of all sexual orientations. This is not labeled "ephebophilia" because the attraction to adolescents is not exclusive. In some cultures, such as those in which adolescent girls are routinely married to older men, it is considered normal for adults to include adolescents among their sexual interests. In these cultures an attraction to adolescents is not necessarily thought to require an essentialist classification in terms of abnormality, deviancy or mental health, but is seen as a possibility or a taste.

This gets touched on a lot in numerous threads - from those about girls who look young, to age gaps, to when people first start becoming promiscuous or sexual, to sexual education, to law, to full on metaphysical morals.

I'd like to hear what TSR considers.

For the purposes of this "debate", lets consider adolescents of teen "age" - say, 12/13-17/18.

Scroll to see replies

I don't think its morally wrong, as these teens have or are going through puberty hence its only natural for them to be looked at in a sexual way.
Saying that, it does definitely need to be controlled, with age of consent laws, and laws to do with age differences between people in sexual relationships under a certain age
Reply 2
No.
Reply 3
Gancor
No.

dont spam H+R:eek:
Reply 4
I think that it depends on how developed the individual is as to whether it is alright to be sexually attracted to them, but when it comes to actually having a relationship with the person I would probably apply the rule of "Half your age, plus seven", e.g. I am 19, round that up to 20 to make it easier to work with, half my age is 10, plus seven is 17, but since I am not 20 yet an old 16 year old is acceptable.
This currently fits well with the policy I had before I heard about that rule, which was nobody younger than my sister's school year group.
Not in the slightest.
Reply 6
Let me stimulate this with a hypothetical situation so that we get less "yes" or "no", or "Well it depends on the laws" answers.

A generic TSR university student of age twenty one desires to start a sexual relationship with another generic younger student of age thirteen.

Lets use the extremes, of maybe quite an immature male student, and a quite matured younger female.

Is this morally wrong? The girl is well in puberty - could physically bear child, is old enough to decide whether or not she has operations carried out upon her (as opposed to her parents), and the student has not physically forced her to do anything.

This breaks Age/2+7.

Is this morally wrong?
Reply 7
Redemption
For the purposes of this "debate", lets consider adolescents of teen "age" - say, 12/13-17/18.

There's a world of difference between those upper and lower bands, though. If a 25 year old was looking at a 12 year old, I'd be concerned. If they were looking at an 18 year old, I wouldn't.
Reply 8
Morally wrong is to stick your nose into other people's business. As long as full consent (i.e. from parents too) is given, what's the issue?
Reply 9
Not really, no. Heck, if someone can given me a rational, humanistic argument against paedophilia that doesn't 'petition the premise', I'll actually be quite impressed.
Reply 10
HCD
There's a world of difference between those upper and lower bands, though. If a 25 year old was looking at a 12 year old, I'd be concerned. If they were looking at an 18 year old, I wouldn't.

Yup... OP failed to mention the age of the people looking :hmmm:
Reply 11
well personally I don't believe paedophilia is wrong in the slightest, an attraction to children is not inherently wrong, and nor is a relationship of any kind (including sexual) inherently wrong. It becomes wrong when these relationships harm the child involved, which is actually almost every case. So no, Ephebophilia is not morally wrong, no attraction or relationship is automatically wrong, it's the effect that they have on the people involved that make them wrong.
Reply 12
loadmalz
Yup... OP failed to mention the age of the people looking :hmmm:

Read the thread.
Redemption
Let me stimulate this with a hypothetical situation so that we get less "yes" or "no", or "Well it depends on the laws" answers.

A generic TSR university student of age twenty one desires to start a sexual relationship with another generic younger student of age thirteen.

Lets use the extremes, of maybe quite an immature male student, and a quite matured younger female.

Is this morally wrong? The girl is well in puberty - could physically bear child, is old enough to decide whether or not she has operations carried out upon her (as opposed to her parents), and the student has not physically forced her to do anything.

This breaks Age/2+7.

Is this morally wrong?

I don't see anything "morally wrong" with this hypothetical situation; on the other hand, I don't know many 13-year-old girls who are ready to have a relationship (even if girls do mature earlier than boys, they don't mature THAT early). Also, they of course shouldn't break any laws. So yeah, a relationship in this hypothetical situation would work, I just seriously doubt it would be at all a meaningful relationship (no sex, and neither person is mature enough to want much more out of a relationship; no going out with friends for obvious reasons of clashes of interest, and so on). It'd be a friendship that was rather generously called a relationship. So, it's a silly hypothetical situation, because it doesn't happen.
Reply 14
generalebriety
I don't see anything "morally wrong" with this hypothetical situation; on the other hand, I don't know many 13-year-old girls who are ready to have a relationship (even if girls do mature earlier than boys, they don't mature THAT early). Also, they of course shouldn't break any laws. So yeah, a relationship in this hypothetical situation would work, I just seriously doubt it would be at all a meaningful relationship (no sex, and neither person is mature enough to want much more out of a relationship; no going out with friends for obvious reasons of clashes of interest, and so on). It'd be a friendship that was rather generously called a relationship. So, it's a silly hypothetical situation, because it doesn't happen.

I said sexual relationship if you read it. What would be morally wrong about a sexual relationship between the two concerned.
Reply 15
Redemption
Read the thread.

So you're asking is it morally wrong for a 50 year old to start dating a 13 year old?
Reply 16
Cereal Killer II
(i.e. from parents too)

Why does the parent have any say at all?
Reply 17
loadmalz
So you're asking is it morally wrong for a 50 year old to start dating a 13 year old?

Did you read the thread? No.

I asked would you consider it morally wrong if a twenty one year old started having a sexual relationship with a 13/14 year old.

I'm not going to quote and respond anymore for people who cba to read. I don't mind.

Just share your thoughts.
Redemption
I said sexual relationship if you read it. What would be morally wrong about a sexual relationship between the two concerned.

Oh, you did? Well, I'm not getting into this discussion; if I give any potential legal, psychological or medical reason why, you'll just come back at me with "yes, but what if?".

No, there's nothing morally wrong about a sexual relationship if she's sexually mature, physically mature, psychologically mature, and has a strong mind; you don't find 13-year-old girls like that, though. That's why it's illegal and considered immoral.
Well, in earlier times, such practices, for example 18 year olds marrying 12/13 year olds, were fairly common. And from an evolutionary perspective, the moment animals have fully developed sexual organs they are capable of reproducing, the same could be said of humans. However, unlike animals, humans have an extra timespan after this time, where they reach emotional maturity at roughly age 18 - 21. Which is why an adult having a relationship with a teenager is generally considered unnaceptable or wrong in most cultures.

Nonetheless, as with all things there is a difference between having certain thoughts and acting on those thoughts, but there is often a very fine line between the two.

Saying that, I personally prefer girls who are slightly older, or my own age.

Latest

Trending

Trending