The Student Room Group

The Classic Rock Society Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
=nuke=
It's nice to see that people are still expecting Chinese Democracy... :p:

On April 20, 2008, in an effort to inform fans on the status of guitarist Robin Finck on the official website, Guns N' Roses announced that "We're in negotiations for the release of "Chinese Democracy" and things are going well. When we begin to put tour plans together, we'll see where things are. Until then, Robin's touring with NIN and we're working with management on our game plans."[52]The update suggests the album is being negotiated with the record company on how they will release it. It is still a possibility that it will be released in 2008.

Honestly, who doesn't know Tie Your Mother Down :biggrin:.
Watch the Wembley perforamce, was amazing and the tribute concert with Slash playing with them, that was great.
Lets debate! Led Zeppelin or Queen! Whos Better!
:biggrin:
Reply 61
Devel
Lets debate! Led Zeppelin or Queen! Whos Better!
:biggrin:

Queen. I didn't even have to think about that. :biggrin:
Reply 62
Im 100% with you
queen all the way
Reply 63
=nuke=
Queen. I didn't even have to think about that. :biggrin:

But why? Need reasons :wink:.
I'd argue it on band members:

Plant/Mercury: Mercury is obviously the superior singer but Plant had much more of a rock tone to his, then again Mercury will always be regarded as one of the best singers in any genre, so I think it would be fair to give it to him.

Page/May: I'm going with Page on this, Stairway To Heaven was just a masterpeice and I think he was much more influencial across the board.

Bonham/Taylor: Bonham wins hands down, he defined the role of the rock drummer, songs such as Rock N Roll just showed his raw skill and his solo drum song Moby Dick showed his overall talent.

Who cares about bass? :p:

I still could not say who is better, although Led Zeppelin are by far more popular, Queen just had that magic.
Reply 64
Oi John Deacon is an amazing bassist. Just look at all the great tracks where bass forms the foundation. Roger beats bonham! He does all those über-amazing screams on a lot of the early tracks too. And roger is a better songwriter. Although, i did see bonham's son last year who was undoubtedly the best drummer i've seen live.

Brian May kicks butt! Look at all those great solos and that phenomenal awe-inspiring tone. Plus a range that jimmy could only dream of in zepo.

Freddie was a king of the stage and a master of vocals. I salute him.
Stairway to heaven is a good song, but also one of the most overrated. Id rather listen to say, I want it all, any day :smile:

You know i like Led zeppelin but the zeppelin is somewhat deflated in front of the kings of rock. Queen Forever!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 65
Man, you cant compare ANYONE to Bonham, he made the formula for hard rock drummers, he was just raw passion, if his drum sticks broke, hed play with his hands till they bled, 30 minute drum solos. The guy was amazing.

I wont say anything on May, I know hes your love :biggrin:. Nor will I knock Freddie, I just cant.

But Led Zeppelin were the most influencial and important, they set the standard and genre.
Reply 66
I dont know, i bet more poeple know more queen songs today than led zepo songs, so they couldnt be that influential. You ask a guy on the street to name zeppelin songs and all they say "stairway to heaven".

Thanks, yes Brian is somewhat my hero :biggrin:
He's a very clever guy as well. Guitarist, astrologer and genius.

Ok yeh johnny bonham was good. His son is with foreigner now. Anyone like foreigner?
I liked em a decent amount, then when i saw them i was blown away. Their new frontman is great! Almost as energetic as micky jagger!

uth =]
Reply 67
Imagine it this way, if Freddie wouldn't have died in 1991, imagine how big Queen would be right now. :eek: The same can be said for Led Zeppelin with Bonhams death.
Why is it all great bands end with deaths, Zeppelin, Queen, Nirvana(Not a personal fave but amazing non the less), Hendrix :mad:.
Reply 68
Devel
But Led Zeppelin were the most influencial and important, they set the standard and genre.

Totally, so many bands since list Zep as an influence its unbelievable. They cannot be beaten for 'classic rock'. Queen were so much more pop based IMO; much more commercial and less in touch with the blues roots of rock than Zep.

Plus Stairway to Heaven owns Bohemian Rhapsody and isnt even a contest as far as the two most popular songs go.
Reply 69
Not to mention Stairway To Heaven has one of the greatest lines in music:
"When all are on and one is all, To be a rock and not to roll"
Love it.:biggrin:
Reply 70
Oh just give me a good guitar, and you can say that my hair's a disgrace.
Or just gimme an open car; I'll make the speed of light out of this place.

Tenement Funster - Queen :biggrin:
Reply 71
Devel
I cant just tie myself to one genre :wink:.

I'd stick Led Zeppelin 4 on there aswell.

The Sambora albums are just amazing, its a mixture of rock,blues and ballads but the blend is just perfect. Aerosmith,Queen and GnR speak for themselves, Bon Jovi is more melodic rock especcialy on those albums but they have the same style as a classic rock band even if there mordern. U2 are just brilliant and that Oasis album is stunning, especcialy when they perform the tracks now as they are much more rock than ever before :biggrin:.

forgive me for being dense / short-sighted, never actually noticed the first part of the thread title. d'oh.
Reply 72
Girl.Scout
forgive me for being dense / short-sighted, never actually noticed the first part of the thread title. d'oh.

Forgiven as long as you post more :biggrin:.

So anyone else looking forward to the new Queen album and tour? I'm not sure what I think about Paul Rodgers yet and I have certain issues when Brian May tries to sing (Sorry Uth :wink:) but from what I've heard so far it does still have the Queen feel at heart, obviously it will never reach the heights of what happened when Freddie was around but I'm sure it will be a success non the less.

Also who is everyones top 5 favourite guitarists, its got to be personal and what you like to hear, I dont really think there is such thing as the best guitarist of all time but I'd like to hear everyones favourites.
1.Richie Sambora(Bon Jovi)
Jimmy Page(Led Zeppelin)
Slash(Guns N' Roses)
The Edge(U2)
Joe Perry(Aerosmith)

Richie being the only true favourite I have, the rest are all equal. :biggrin:
Reply 73
No Hendrix in there? right...
Reply 74
'Personal' You cant base what you like around whats popular and lets be honest there is no guitarist more known than Hendrix. I'm not saying I dont like him thou, All Along The Watchtower is one of my all time favourite songs but for his guitar playing its just no for me. Sambora is melodic and in my eyes the perfect guitarist, Jimmy Page had that blues oriented feel to his sound which made it amazing, Slash was just raw I mean even people who dont like rock know the sweet child into, The Edge is what U2's sound is all about and although he isnt one to play huge solo's when he does they are amazing and Joe Perry just has that rock and roll feel, which is amazing.

I'd much rather hear your top 5 than for you to judge mine :biggrin:.
Reply 75
Hey guys :smile:

yeh im goin to see queen cant wait :biggrin:

I cant give you a difinitive top 5 guitarists really, but these are 5 of my faves:
Brian May (obviously :cool:)
Steve Vai
Mark Knopfer
Michael Schenker
Richie Blackmore

=]
Im not a big hendrix fan either to be honest.
Reply 76
Top 5 favourite would be a lot different to the top 5 guitarists is what I was getting at - top 5 would HAVE to include Hendrix; Clapton, Keith Richards, Jimmy Page and anyone else will tell you that...

EDIT: sorry I misread, it was top 5 favourite - Hendrix either way lol
Reply 77
aha dont worry. Yeh i do like clapton too :cool:
You're not a member are you afc1886?
Why don't you join, you seem to have a flaring interest in classic rock :p:

The link is in my signature if you're interested :smile:

uth =]
Reply 78
I'm not going to enter into the debate about greatest guitarists.
Partly because I can't be bothered, and partly because I would probs get pood on. And some other stuff that I can't go into, for legal and mental health reasons.

But Steppenwolf and ZZ Top have not been mentioned yet. :smile:
Reply 79
Born To Be Wilddd dun dun dun duuuun dun!
Yeah that's a tune.

:biggrin: :thrasher:

Quick Reply

Latest