The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

naomeh is a tiger.
how'd you do that?

^^^^^^^^^^^ See above.
Reply 21
i know i'm being nosy, but what app system? your thing says you're from london. curious :smile:
naomeh is a tiger.
i know i'm being nosy, but what app system? your thing says you're from london. curious :smile:

i applied to one in one year and the other in the following year...
He means that he applied to Oxford one year, then for some reason chose to re-apply.
Dadeyemi
k your fine then

Ehh, he'd be "fine" as it is, assuming he does well in the test etc, has a decent PS and is doing the right subjects. Even if you have 10A*s at GCSE, if you do crap in the entrance test they're not going to bother interviewing you. They're not going to turn you down if they think you're good enough for Oxford just if you have alright grades at GCSE.
Reply 25
oh. so that's not a different application system, you just reapplied.
naomeh is a tiger.

he said app cyle, not app system. Which was a little confusing, granted, but..
naomeh is a tiger.

i thought i wrote app cycle and it should have been obvious from that that i meant i applied in different years
take a day trip down to both. make sure theyre both sunny days or something. i far prefer the architecture and the city of Oxford hence i chose there but if i were you id also choose ox for the course. i believe it will be more competitive at Oxford however.
solo2wolf
take a day trip down to both. make sure theyre both sunny days or something. i far prefer the architecture and the city of Oxford hence i chose there but if i were you id also choose ox for the course. i believe it will be more competitive at Oxford however.

both are equally competitive...also depends on which College you apply to...some are way more competitive than others
dealbreaker
both are equally competitive...also depends on which College you apply to...some are way more competitive than others

well im making the assumption that all the hardcore IB whores will choose the Oxford courses over the cambridge courses and hence will be more competitive. its very true that the competition varies between colleges however. Oxfords system is better than pooling i think.
i'm not sure about how the pooling system works at Cambridge - if you've made it without being pooled, then why bother ask? At Oxford, is it true that they don't pool candidates but each College would recommend a student to another College while they are at Oxford for the interviews?
dealbreaker
i'm not sure about how the pooling system works at Cambridge - if you've made it without being pooled, then why bother ask? At Oxford, is it true that they don't pool candidates but each College would recommend a student to another College while they are at Oxford for the interviews?

yes and they would then be interviewed by that second college. i only know of the cambridge system as friends went through it, i wasnt pooled :wink:.
Reply 33
Thanks for all the help guys im nearing a decision lol (oxford) lol Thanks
Reply 34
RightSaidJames
Personally, I think Cambridge is stuffy and uncaring about individual students, and just too strict about the way it does things; it relies too much on things like module marks and the "other" subjects you took, that aren't relevant to your course. Oxford has a better reputation for being more "fun", and Oxford is an awesome town, there's a lot of great things going on.

On the other hand, if you want to be a boring sod and do a sciences subject, maybe Cambridge would be the better choice. Not that you can't do sciences at Oxford and Arts as Cambridge, but...

by 'fun' do you mean more of a social scene?
TomTeeTom
by 'fun' do you mean more of a social scene?

Yes, and also generally a better attitude to various sports and other activities.
Reply 36
TomTeeTom
my school was crap 23% gcse pass rate. I was highest in the year. But since i left my january results were 5 As and 3 100%s.

you go lsc:eek:

loll

what school did you go to?
solo2wolf
well im making the assumption that all the hardcore IB whores will choose the Oxford courses over the cambridge courses and hence will be more competitive. its very true that the competition varies between colleges however. Oxfords system is better than pooling i think.

LOL. Why are you assuming IB students are more likely to apply to Oxford?
Reply 38
solo2wolf
take a day trip down to both. make sure theyre both sunny days or something. i far prefer the architecture and the city of Oxford hence i chose there but if i were you id also choose ox for the course. i believe it will be more competitive at Oxford however.[/QUOTE]

For the Oxford Economics based courses, it most certainly will. Oxford has far greater international appeal than Cambridge, and especially for courses like PPE, there is an amazing amount of interest worldwide, with a lot of applications from across the Atlantic! Having said that, if you've got what it takes, you'll get in regardless of the competition.
LOL. Why are you assuming IB students are more likely to apply to Oxford?

IB means Investment Bank in this case atm.

Latest

Trending

Trending