The Student Room Group

What Happens If It Has All Gone Wrong?

I've been doing my AS exams these past few weeks, and I've just got a couple left. To say that I feel that I haven't done my best would be a massive understatement. I think I've pretty much screwed up this year.

So, what happens? Will the universities that I'd like to apply to reject me? I'm really going to try and improve whatever grades I might get by working hard next year, but only I know that. How can I prove that I'll do better than this when I'm doing my A2s? For example, I might end up with a C in a subject. I'd like to think that I can improve that grade, but why should the universities believe me if I tell them this? Or should I now be aiming for universities that ask for BBB instead of AAA?

I know it's a silly time to ask these questions, since the results are a long way away, but I'm just curious I guess.
Reply 1
I think it depends on how far your results vary from the expectations of the universities you intend to apply to for whichever course you choose. Remember that your predicted grades and report from your school/6th form count a lot when universities choose whether or not to give you an offer as well.

What subjects are you doing and what do you plan to apply for?

Edit - I've just seen it in your signature, sorry.

With your AS Levels I wouldn't worry. I think you'll do better than you expect anyway, and I'm sure the university will take into account the good report you're bound to get, as well as the fact that you'll be predicted good grades, when deciding whether or not to give you an offer. I have a friend who got reasonably poor AS Levels, but was still granted an offer by Bristol to do History, on the strength of the school's recommendation, so don't give up hope.
Reply 2
Do you know if your school certificates AS levels this summer, or along with your A-levels? If they don't cash them in until later, you may not have to tell the universities what grades you got.

If you do have to tell the universities that you've got less good grades, it will harm your choices a little, but other factors will come into play - interview, personal statement, GCSE grades, reference (perhaps if your school mentions you did less well than expected)., so it's not a disaster.

You may well have done better than you thought, though. I know I felt like my AS levels hadn't gone well, but was actually really happy with my results - hope it's like that for you!
Reply 3
Amy_J
I think it depends on how far your results vary from the expectations of the universities you intend to apply to for whichever course you choose. Remember that your predicted grades and report from your school/6th form count a lot when universities choose whether or not to give you an offer as well.

What subjects are you doing and what do you plan to apply for?

I'm doing Maths, Physics, Psychology and Latin. Latin and Psychology should be alright, but I know I've underperformed in C2 for maths, and one of the written Physics exams, as well as the Topics paper AND the practical all went really badly for me.

I plan to apply for Psychology.
If it does turn out you've not done so well, but do manage to improve to a satisfactory standard (or what you'd like to achieve anyway), you could apply to unis during a gap year, meaning you'd already have your A-Level grades. Quite a lot of people do this, so it'd be fine.
Reply 5
flippanetic
Do you know if your school certificates AS levels this summer, or along with your A-levels? If they don't cash them in until later, you may not have to tell the universities what grades you got.

If you do have to tell the universities that you've got less good grades, it will harm your choices a little, but other factors will come into play - interview, personal statement, GCSE grades, reference (perhaps if your school mentions you did less well than expected)., so it's not a disaster.

You may well have done better than you thought, though. I know I felt like my AS levels hadn't gone well, but was actually really happy with my results - hope it's like that for you!

I think (and I only think this because my maths teacher told me, so I'm not one hundred percent sure if this is accurate) that my sixth form does not cash in AS results until next year.

So I don't actually have to tell the universities, if this is the case?

I hope so. That exact thing happened with GCSEs, but GCSEs are a very different kettle of fish to A-levels!

Thanks for your advice.
Reply 6
Take a year out. I was predicted DCCB, and ended up with AABB, cause I did the very same thing as you think you might of done. Imagine what crap university (comparably) I would of ended up at had I applied in year 13.

It doesn't matter if their cashed in or not, your predicted grades will still reflect your module grades, and this is what universities look for. Unless your teachers have some unbelievable faith in you, but then I would think predicting someone an A when they got a D is a little unprofessional

EDIT: You might find your a little wiser come GAP year time too. At the end of year 12 I was thinking of applying for Architecture; which I now believe came from the fact I was watching a lot of home improvement programs at the time LOL. Thank god I didn't follow on with that
Reply 7
Ewan
Take a year out. I was predicted DCCB, and ended up with AABB, cause I did the very same thing as you think you might of done. Imagine what crap university (comparably) I would of ended up at had I applied in year 13.

It doesn't matter if their cashed in or not, your predicted grades will still reflect your module grades, and this is what universities look for. Unless your teachers have some unbelievable faith in you, but then I would think predicting someone an A when they got a D is a little unprofessional

It seems as though all of my friends aren't going to bother taking a gap year...I'm afraid of becoming lonely and out of touch with everyone. Though that's a different topic entirely. :biggrin:

Okay, I see what you mean. That's fair enough. So either way, the universities are going to get an idea of how I performed.
Reply 8
Neither did mine (not that I was all too close to people in my sixth form). Aslong as you don't sit around for an entire year you should be ok. Start thinking about what you want to do, work or travel etc. Your probably going to be at different universities anyway, so being out of touch is inevitable. Theres always the phone/internet :P
Reply 9
SylverStrike
It seems as though all of my friends aren't going to bother taking a gap year...I'm afraid of becoming lonely and out of touch with everyone. Though that's a different topic entirely. :biggrin:

Okay, I see what you mean. That's fair enough. So either way, the universities are going to get an idea of how I performed.

You haven't even done your AS Levels yet. If you were looking at getting As and so forth, I'd be surprised if you've done as badly as you think you have. Perhaps your Physics has gone badly since you seem to be quite sure of that. Which subject, if any, are you planning to drop for next year?

Either way, you can always apply next year with whatever grades you get, then if you don't get the offers you want, take a gap year and re-apply the year after. Forgive me if this idea is stupid for any reason, but I can't see why not.
Amy_J
You haven't even done your AS Levels yet. If you were looking at getting As and so forth, I'd be surprised if you've done as badly as you think you have. Perhaps your Physics has gone badly since you seem to be quite sure of that. Which subject, if any, are you planning to drop for next year?

Either way, you can always apply next year with whatever grades you get, then if you don't get the offers you want, take a gap year and re-apply the year after. Forgive me if this idea is stupid for any reason, but I can't see why not.

I think I'm just going to take them all on. I'll never get some amazing grade in Physics, but I enjoy it so much and I know I would miss it if I dropped it. I did consider dropping Latin, but if I get an offer based on three grades, I could rely more on Latin than on Physics.

I see your point. I guess I'm just a bit reluctant to take a gap year, and I hate the idea of my results this time round limiting me to the point where I'm forced to take one.

Thanks for your input. :smile:
Reply 11
Hi, I feel the same way!
There isn't one exam that I feel I did as well as I could have done/usually do. This year has just been a bit of a disappointment academically for me and I've been ill a lot as well (I realise I can put this in my personal statement/CSAS form, but will they really care about the fact that I was ill if my grades are horrible? Will they really consider me despite my AS grades? It was glandular fever by the way, the aftermath lastest for a long time), I got As-Us in my mocks (at least one of every grade except E), and I'm pretty sure I can bring those Us up (C2 and FP1; I didn't revise at all and I've missed loads; if you miss maths, it's hard to catch up yourself, I find) but I have no idea how my exams so far have gone.
:frown:
SylverStrike
I've been doing my AS exams these past few weeks, and I've just got a couple left. To say that I feel that I haven't done my best would be a massive understatement. I think I've pretty much screwed up this year.

So, what happens? Will the universities that I'd like to apply to reject me? I'm really going to try and improve whatever grades I might get by working hard next year, but only I know that. How can I prove that I'll do better than this when I'm doing my A2s? For example, I might end up with a C in a subject. I'd like to think that I can improve that grade, but why should the universities believe me if I tell them this? Or should I now be aiming for universities that ask for BBB instead of AAA?

I know it's a silly time to ask these questions, since the results are a long way away, but I'm just curious I guess.

I absolutely hated Physics :mad:
Reply 13
Artemidoros.
I absolutely hated Physics :mad:

And because of that, i'm your buddy.
I did this last year; was predicted AABC and got BDDE lol! (this was later changed to BCDE with a remark) because of this I ended up resitting Year 12 and I changed school (my school had just had the headteacher suspended; I wasn't staying there ). I have to say, I enjoyed this year but I regret redoing the year, especially after the remark, as all my friends are now off to uni and I don't know what I'll do about friends lol. But academically, it was the best thing for me with the original marks I got. I'm not saying this is the answer for you by any means, I'm just saying it's something to think about, of course, you could just re-take the modules you messed up in January and carry on with Year 13 :smile:
Well... I was pretty much in the same situation last year as u are now!! I was in depression for months after exams if that is any consolation!!! But I carried on with yr 13 and sat all the modules I screwed up again in Jan and not to mention I applied to uni and got offers from KCL, Loughborough,Durham etc.. So not doing well in As is not the end of the world, as long as your teacher gives u a good refrence there is no reason for u not to apply to a good uni.

Word of warning..I had to sit 15 exams in Jan which meant hard work but managed to improve more than 2 grades in most modules, so if u are prepared to do the work then its not a problem... Think wisely before making a decision:smile:

I better go back to revision now or else will end up screwing up this year exams too which will cost me dearly:frown:
chocolate27
Well... I was pretty much in the same situation last year as u are now!! I was in depression for months after exams if that is any consolation!!! But I carried on with yr 13 and sat all the modules I screwed up again in Jan and not to mention I applied to uni and got offers from KCL, Loughborough,Durham etc.. So not doing well in As is not the end of the world, as long as your teacher gives u a good refrence there is no reason for u not to apply to a good uni.

Word of warning..I had to sit 15 exams in Jan which meant hard work but managed to improve more than 2 grades in most modules, so if u are prepared to do the work then its not a problem... Think wisely before making a decision:smile:

I better go back to revision now or else will end up screwing up this year exams too which will cost me dearly:frown:

Thank you for sharing your own experiences! I'm prepared to retake because I know I'll try harder next time, and it's good to know that retaking some modules didn't limit you. Congratulations concerning your offers, too- those are some very good universities!

And thanks to everyone else who has replied. I feel a little less panicky about my situation now.

Latest