The Student Room Group

C2 --> which calculators are allowed?

Scroll to see replies

EvenStevens
That's the one I use.

It does numerical differentiation and integration but guidelines suggest anything that does symbolic is disallowed.

The fx991ES is perfectly fine.

It's JUST within boundaries though.

It can solve quadratics, simultaneous and single variable equations as well. Very good calc :smile:

Yup :smile:
Reply 21
allyourbase
Yup :smile:

how do u do that?
Mode > Eqn.

Or use Alpha-CALC for = signs and Shift-CALC to solve.
Reply 23
allyourbase
Yeh i have an fx199ES that does integration with limits and differentiation but you have to say what x equals. So it isn't symbolic, therefore allowed.

OMG! That's the one that got taken away from me :frown:
Reply 24
rahulsood
Apparently, they're not allowed. And maths teachers invigilate my maths exams :frown:, well they come to check at least. =[

In M1, there was ONE woman around 60 years old invigilating about 30 students.. :biggrin:
Oh well, I've got an 85ES as well, which doesn't do all the fancy things the 991ES does, which I've modded to be a 991ES =P

No one will ever know.
Reply 26
EvenStevens
Oh well, I've got an 85ES as well, which doesn't do all the fancy things the 991ES does, which I've modded to be a 991ES =P

No one will ever know.

:eek: Show me how to do that..please :biggrin:
Alright, spend £7, get an fx 83ES or two and know for certain you can take the calculator in.
rahulsood
OMG! That's the one that got taken away from me :frown:

you should complain :s-smilie:
rahulsood
:eek: Show me how to do that..please :biggrin:

There's a topic on here somewhere. Have a search.
Reply 30
My mate bought his graphical calc in for C4 last year.. not one invigilator saw it.

:rofl:
Graphical calculators are allowed, there's no rule against them.

The only rule is against symbolic algebra, differentiation and/or integration and the ability to connect to the internet/other calculators.
rahulsood
No, mines cost £8,looked the same as the others, and was taken away in the exam :frown:
Try doing M1 without a calculator =\

What brand and model number is your calculator? It's a common misconception that calculators with the capability for numerical calculus and/or curve sketching are banned, they're not.

The only one's that they could legitimately confinscate are ones like the Ti-89 that cost around £70. It looks like a misinformed invigilator shafted you, badly.
Reply 33
Graphical Calculators are allowed for C4 (and 3 etc.)
Reply 34
Tyrotoxism
What brand and model number is your calculator? It's a common misconception that calculators with the capability for numerical calculus and/or curve sketching are banned, they're not.

The only one's that they could legitimately confinscate are ones like the Ti-89 that cost around £70. It looks like a misinformed invigilator shafted you, badly.

The fx199ES, by my maths teacher :frown:
His defence: "I told you to get the same calculator as me."
The whole thing is annoying really. Not really being sure if you're allowed your calculator, invigilators not really knowing and letting people off/unfairly confiscating calculators.. etc etc
Reply 36
A friend of mine has a Ti-89, they are seriously impressive.
I might have to get a fx991ES, they look pretty useful. Although i only just bought this fx83ES for the summer exams!
I've been using a disallowed calculator this whole exam season.
And it's not because I want to cheat; it's really not. I actually haven't cheated.
I just really, really love my calculator. :love:
ofolion
A friend of mine has a Ti-89, they are seriously impressive.
I might have to get a fx199ES, they look pretty useful. Although i only just bought this fx83ES for the summer exams!

just for reference, I meant the fx991es and whoever it was may also have typed it wrongly.
rahulsood
The fx199ES, by my maths teacher :frown:
His defence: "I told you to get the same calculator as me."

Woah wtf, that one is definitely allowed! Did you complain to your teacher/department? That teacher needs a slap.

Quick Reply

Latest