The Student Room Group

C2 --> which calculators are allowed?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Tyrotoxism
Woah wtf, that one is definitely allowed! Did you complain to your teacher/department? That teacher needs a slap.

I tried, but he slated me for 'being a muppet' :frown:
Apparently, we were given an exam sheet which stated that the college will only allow the fx-85ES, in order to avoid excess time spent checking calculators.
I have no recollection of receiving this letter, although I admit I'm not the most organised. Still, nothing I can do about it now :frown:
Get an 85ES and mod it to be a 991ES :wink:
Reply 42
EvenStevens
Get an 85ES and mod it to be a 991ES :wink:

I would, but the problem lies therein...
How do you mod a calculator, and what does that even mean? :redface:
rahulsood
Apparently, we were given an exam sheet which stated that the college will only allow the fx-85ES, in order to avoid excess time spent checking calculators.
I have no recollection of receiving this letter, although I admit I'm not the most organised. Still, nothing I can do about it now :frown:

How annoying for you :mad:
On certain 85ES and 83ESs, you can "colour in" one of the jumpers on the circuit board with a pencil, which tricks the calculator into being something else.

See, the 991ES and 85ES and 83ES use the same circuit board to save Casio money on production.
Reply 45
allyourbase
How annoying for you :mad:

Indeed :mad: , although I can't blame anybody but myself :redface:
Hope this doesn't ruin my chances for Oxford though (as they were already pretty weak in my opinion). Lol surely at Interview (if i get there!) 'why did you do so badly in M1'...'My calculator was confiscated' will hardly look pleasing, or present me in the right light, because no doubt it'll seem like my own fault :frown:
Enough of me moping though!
Reply 46
EvenStevens
On certain 85ES and 83ESs, you can "colour in" one of the jumpers on the circuit board with a pencil, which tricks the calculator into being something else.

See, the 991ES and 85ES and 83ES use the same circuit board to save Casio money on production.

Your so very smart.
Although I still have no idea what that means =\
Well, if you unscrew the back of an 83 or 85ES, you'll see something that looks like...

See those little silvery gold circles all over the board? One of them you colour in with a lead pencil and it'll fool it into thinking it's a 991ES.

I'm not sure HOW it works, electronics aren't my strong point, but it does :P
Reply 48
EvenStevens
Well, if you unscrew the back of an 83 or 85ES, you'll see something that looks like...

See those little silvery gold circles all over the board? One of them you colour in with a lead pencil and it'll fool it into thinking it's a 991ES.

I'm not sure HOW it works, electronics aren't my strong point, but it does :P

Thanx mate :smile:
can you colour in ANY one of them? :p:
Oh, no XD

I don't know if you can see, I've highlighted the one you need to colour in with a red circle.
It's above CMODE and to the right of P4.

Though, careful, this mod only works if your calculator is type A, or as no type at all.

Look on the back of your calculator and tell me what it says above the words "MADE IN CHINA"...
Reply 50
EvenStevens
Oh, no XD

I don't know if you can see, I've highlighted the one you need to colour in with a red circle.

Though, careful, this mod only works if your calculator is type A, or as no type at all.

Look on the back of your calculator and tell me what it says above the words "MADE IN CHINA"...

oh ya! thanx :biggrin:
I don't actually have one of them atm, still using my other calculator :p:
Reply 51
How can you modify a 83ES to being a 991ES; It won't work properly anyway because some of the buttons will be missing, or at least mislabelled which would be really confusing.
Yeah that's the downside. But most of the buttons are in the same place.
My mate took a calculator that does integration and differentiation on it... In fact it does pretty much every maths calculation possible! (Well, it doesn't find a counter example to Fermat's Last theorem...:rolleyes: ) Anyway, I guess it just depends on which school/college you go to! (P.S. Yes I still envy my friend for having that calculator in the exam... He got the differentiation calculation correct when I didn't lol)
EvenStevens
Oh, no XD

It's like Where's Wally? Google it lol
rahulsood

Did you leave everything in sin/cos/tan, etc form? I am asking this because you would still get like 80+% for doing so! Obviously this is providing you got everything right...
Reply 56
Mathematician!
Did you leave everything in sin/cos/tan, etc form? I am asking this because you would still get like 80+% for doing so! Obviously this is providing you got everything right...

Yeah left it however much I could mentally calculate,
but managed to fill out most of them quickly when I got the calculator at the end. And nope, doubt I got anywhere near everything correct! :frown: lol
rahulsood
Yeah left it however much I could mentally calculate,
but managed to fill out most of them quickly when I got the calculator at the end. And nope, doubt I got anywhere near everything correct! :frown: lol

Hmm... There is a slight problem there then...
Are you guys cheating? :p:
Sky Twilight
Are you guys cheating? :p:

Nope :p:

Quick Reply

Latest