The Student Room Group

Chinese people, welcome! [中國人, 歡迎你!] [中国人, 欢迎你!]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Two things I want to do:

How do we change our society picture to your avatar?

His/her comments are so shocking that I probably forgot how to be angry. Although I have seen worse people on youtube....who knows. Lets be optimistic, maybe she/he is a real good person in real life and is just vending some aggression or anger here on TSR......who cares.
you don't have to change the soc dispaly pic to my avatar, it was just a suggestion.
Serene. Just for the records. You could substitute HongKong with any developed country and all those statements would still be true.
so i guess keni is a native HK-er, so when did you come to britain and what uni are you at?
Not at Uni yet. =p
Depending on my results.... if I don't get into medicine, I'll go to Glasgow Uni to do Neuroscience this year.

I came to Britain when I was quite young, but I'm back every few years. I still keep in touch regularly with my cousin who lives there though.

What about you, at uni? In a job where you work for the people? 为人民服务. Btw, its a little weird calling you: 为人民服务, what's your name? ^^.
I am not at uni yet, depending on grades. And then i am taking a gap year (cos i am too young for med). I ve been here since i was young as well.

Just call me Kenneth Wu
Original post by &#20026
you don't have to change the soc dispaly pic to my avatar, it was just a suggestion.

To the person who has a warning level 17 currently, stop taking my quotes out of context. You know what you are doing. Many of the above statements weren't even made by me but were referenced from people who had lived in HK before. And my long reply regarding cheating is all properly referenced to various reputable websites like the leading newspapers in HK (SCMP, The Std, ... ) and the Time, etc.
Where are you hoping to study med? Down in England? Are you going to travel around for the gap year?

And Hello Kenneth =]
Keni
Serene. Just for the records. You could substitute HongKong with any developed country and all those statements would still be true.

I'm sorry but I've stayed in a number of places around the world and I can tell you that Chinese cities are unique in their level of cheats.
为人民服务 is just a crazy nationalistic ideologue, evident by his high warning level of 17 and his record of getting banned.
in context or out of context those references were of course racist. And attacking my personal attitude and practice isn't going to wipe away the evidence.
to keni,

i am hoping to study med at cambridge, grades permitting, and i am thinking about travelling to australia for my gap year.
s.e.r.e.n.e
I'm sorry but I've stayed in a number of places around the world and I can tell you that Chinese cities are unique in their level of cheats.

Sorry if this is hostile but I guess you haven't stayed in enough places - or haven't stayed long enough in a place.
Sure the figures may be different for other countries but I'm sure in every country, money is the key part to life. Look around you, in UK, its true too even if it's not to such an extent. As for the business books on shelfs. An interest in the economic world is GOOD. It helps awareness of the market around them. What do you expect isntead of business books? Books on agriculture? How to increase crop output? That's not exactly being a way forward, and would lead to a downward spiral of quality of life due to the everymore increasing amonuts of labour.

s.e.r.e.n.e
为人民服务 is just a crazy nationalistic ideologue, evident by his high warning level of 17 and his record of getting banned.

Sure he may be a crazy nationalistic ideologue, but his high warning level and ban record is completely irrelevent. You can be a sane and neutral in all beliefs, and can still be banned on TSR.
And whats wrong with standing up to their beliefs?

Edit: At Kenneth:

Good luck getting into Cambridge. And have fun in your gap year.
for the record, i am not a crazy ultra nationalistic nut. I excercise a moderate degree of patriotism and believe in a democratic federalist republic
Reply 354
s.e.r.e.n.e

Well, what I cant understand is having stayed in that many places you should be able to see that in almost any city there are always a large number of cheats, murderers, criminals, organised gangs, terrorist etc etc etc, in fact less than one week ago 3 people were stabbed to death in six hours in the UK, yet none of us has denounced London as "a place of knige-wielders", so why start with Chinese cities? I have been living in Shanghai for 15 years and, yes, I have been mugged and cheated but still I think overall it is a great city. Here in London I have seen groups of people smoking drugs, mobs hurling racist comment at me, yet when do you see I actually remark that "London is a city full of drug-addicts and racists"?

*Sign* I guess trying to change somebody's views on an internet debate forum is never going to work. TBH, I have been in the UK for 5 years and have friends from HongKong, Taiwan, PRC, America, Canada, Australia, Pakistan, UK, Scotland, France, and I am yet to see someone who is so deep-rootedly anti-China as you.
what i don't get is why are reasonable academically minded people like us even conversing with him. How do we know that he isn't lieing? how do we know he has been to china or around the world?

Lets just ignore him and just post what this thread is designed for.
Reply 356
Nin gui xing! Wu jiao Chris!

Hope all is well with everyone; I've just graduated university, and am flying out to Tianjin next month. I'll be teaching English as an ELA for a year. Just curious if anyone is from Tianjin has any recommendations or tips etc? xiexie

zai zian
Welcome :smile:
I'm called Keni.
Hope all is well for you too. Have fun in Tianjin ^^. Ohhh a teacher :biggrin: I envy you.
Ohh btw curious-ness, are you Chinese? Or have you learnt Mandarin? ^^
Reply 358
Keni
Welcome :smile:
I'm called Keni.
Hope all is well for you too. Have fun in Tianjin ^^. Ohhh a teacher :biggrin: I envy you.
Ohh btw curious-ness, are you Chinese? Or have you learnt Mandarin? ^^

Ni hao Keni, thanks hopefully I will. No I’m boring and British :mad: but o well, to bigger bright places in the east as of next month. O no sorry, I’m just learning the pleasantries, so as to not live up to the 'English abroad' stereotype. I think its only right to have a serious go at learning the local language!
Manchunia
Ni hao Keni, thanks hopefully I will. No I’m boring and British :mad: but o well, to bigger bright places in the east as of next month. O no sorry, I’m just learning the pleasantries, so as to not live up to the 'English abroad' stereotype. I think its only right to have a serious go at learning the local language!

There's nothing wrong with being British :smile: I've met some really interesting British people in the past living in Britain for the past 13 years of my life.
Lol, really? :O Surprised, since you seemed like you fluent with Mandarin. ^^ (Though there is some minor mis-spells but its really minor - nothing that'd hinder you). If you have any questions while abroad in Tianjin, let it be a language barrier or some traditional things that you don't quite understand, feel free to shout it out here and we'll help if we can. But all in all, good luck and have a nice journey :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest