The Student Room Group

Chinese people, welcome! [中國人, 歡迎你!] [中国人, 欢迎你!]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6940
I was at Communication University of China last year, and will be going to Beijing International Studies University for another year this summer (just for the mandarin course). both of which are down in the south east of the city (they are literally joined together at the east/west gate -.-) so it would be too far to travel to PKU everday (roughly an hour or so on the metro). You should be able to find somewhere decent to live if you have the help of someone with Chinese skills and I know quite a few people that do love that part of the city so there must be a reason :tongue:

Also, the campus' up there are amazing...some should be parks -.-
Hey, I was wondering, is the train system easy to use in china? I am going to Kunming for a month but I am planning on travelling around the rest of China for a month afterwards. What is the best mode of transport to get from city to city?
Original post by Pomppufiilis
Hey, I was wondering, is the train system easy to use in china? I am going to Kunming for a month but I am planning on travelling around the rest of China for a month afterwards. What is the best mode of transport to get from city to city?

As long as you dont travel on some important festivals train is quite convinient and during the time on it you are able to have long conversations with Chinese. I would personally recommend bus if the distance is not long as you can see more details but it could be crowded and time-consuming. Train is also good. It really depends.
Reply 6943

If the journey is a fair way and isn't connected by high-speed rail then you might want to consider flying - I've found flights to be pretty painless and punctual. Otherwise trains are your best bet, yeah.

Just remember that you can only buy tickets in the city of departure, so you can't book in advance more than 10 days, and you can't buy return tickets.

Taking trains are great as they are really cheap (compared to here anyway!) and are great for people watching! When choosing tickets though, I recommend selecting "soft seats" or "ruan wo" as these are much more comfy than "hard seats" or "ying wo" which are no so much, particularly if you're travelling for a long time.

I don't recommend buses - I'm not going to say anymore...

Planes are great as they're fast and personally I love going to airports! But they can be really expensive so be careful with budgeting. You can book flights within China right now so if you're the type of traveller who likes to plan everything down to the last car journey, this is really useful: http://www.elong.net/

Hope you have a great time! I'm going this summer and can't wait! :biggrin:
Reply 6946
.3:biggrin:
Yaaaaaaaaaa this is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway Hi guys I'm the Undergraduate freshman in the Uni of Leicester!:smile::smile::smile::smile: Beijinger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sensingdevice
As long as you dont travel on some important festivals train is quite convinient and during the time on it you are able to have long conversations with Chinese. I would personally recommend bus if the distance is not long as you can see more details but it could be crowded and time-consuming. Train is also good. It really depends.

Would there be any festivals in August? I'm not sure if the mainland Chinese celebrate hungry ghost or not...

Original post by Kolya
If the journey is a fair way and isn't connected by high-speed rail then you might want to consider flying - I've found flights to be pretty painless and punctual. Otherwise trains are your best bet, yeah.

Original post by lovers in japan
Just remember that you can only buy tickets in the city of departure, so you can't book in advance more than 10 days, and you can't buy return tickets.

Original post by idealist948
Taking trains are great as they are really cheap (compared to here anyway!) and are great for people watching! When choosing tickets though, I recommend selecting "soft seats" or "ruan wo" as these are much more comfy than "hard seats" or "ying wo" which are no so much, particularly if you're travelling for a long time.

I don't recommend buses - I'm not going to say anymore...

Planes are great as they're fast and personally I love going to airports! But they can be really expensive so be careful with budgeting. You can book flights within China right now so if you're the type of traveller who likes to plan everything down to the last car journey, this is really useful: http://www.elong.net/

Hope you have a great time! I'm going this summer and can't wait! :biggrin:

Noted! I will probably only have time to stay a week or so in places so I won't really need any advance tickets. I will make sure I save money for the soft seats then. If i don't have enough I'll have to buy a pillow. I know I can't hack the long distance buses, London to Edinburgh put me off for life and that was on a school trip!

I will probs end up deciding where to go at the last minute, but having a definate end point. I need to be in Malaysia for my flight home!
Would there be any festivals in August? I'm not sure if the mainland Chinese celebrate hungry ghost or not...

No any big festival but it's our summer holiday haha! It may still be a travel peak.
But at least it can't be more terrible than that during the Spring time right?
Original post by Gxy
.3:biggrin:
Yaaaaaaaaaa this is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway Hi guys I'm the Undergraduate freshman in the Uni of Leicester!:smile::smile::smile::smile: Beijinger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey girl I'm studying in Beijing now and I'm the 2012 entry:smile:
No any big festival but it's our summer holiday haha! It may still be a travel peak.
But at least it can't be more terrible than that during the Spring time right?

True!
Reply 6951
Hey girl I'm studying in Beijing now and I'm the 2012 entry:smile:

same with you now im studying in UIBE对外经济贸易大学 and also fresher in this university!!!!btw this summer i will go to leicester :colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:
Original post by Gxy
same with you now im studying in UIBE对外经济贸易大学 and also fresher in this university!!!!btw this summer i will go to leicester :colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:

I'm going to Warwick to learn management:tongue:
No I'm studying a level in Rendafuzhong haha so strange two Chinese people talk in English:colondollar:
Reply 6953
Original post by Gxy

Oh wow, I was at UIBE for a short time as well - it's strange how many people I bump into round China who have gone to UIBE! Do you ever go the Sculpting In Time cafe, and the big cheap restaurant next-doors, on a little street opposite the West (Hui Xin Dong Jie) gate? They're nice places to be.
Reply 6954

No I'm studying a level in Rendafuzhong haha so strange two Chinese people talk in English:colondollar:

Out of interest, why did you choose a levels rather than, say, AP classes?
Original post by Kolya
Out of interest, why did you choose a levels rather than, say, AP classes?

Our school didnt offerAP in my first year though it will have it next year but it's not my turn:frown:
Anybody living in Chongqing here?
Reply 6957
Original post by Kolya
Oh wow, I was at UIBE for a short time as well - it's strange how many people I bump into round China who have gone to UIBE! Do you ever go the Sculpting In Time cafe, and the big cheap restaurant next-doors, on a little street opposite the West (Hui Xin Dong Jie) gate? They're nice places to be.

yes of course, UIBE has a lot of oversea students.I guess that our university has the most oversea students in some China's University of finance and economics..the Sculpting In Time is very interesting and last month my classmates and I went there to prepare our presentation! Here is a little restaurant called Laker's Pub....very popular in oversea students.
Reply 6958

errrrr...A-level is a good choice...after all...I didn't studied A-level so Studying in a 211 university is the condition that I can go to UK uni for my undergraduate degree...otherwise I must study Foundation in UK
Reply 6959
Original post by lovers in japan
What character?

Do you have an external email that I can scan and let you interpret?
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending