The Student Room Group

Chinese people, welcome! [中國人, 歡迎你!] [中国人, 欢迎你!]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7080
Original post by alex_hk90
I get what you mean, most of my Mandarin practise was during class and with my tutor, but seeing as this amounted to over 5 hours a day that was enough practise for me!
Most of my Mandarin practice is in taxis. The putonghua of grizzled local taxi drivers is sometimes hilariously far away from the model pronunciation given in the classroom. It's good fun.
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
你好 ;)

你好!:smile:

Original post by Japs
hello, Coming back, just moved. Not internet yet. Can't type Chinese meh

:hello:

Original post by Kolya
Most of my Mandarin practice is in taxis. The putonghua of grizzled local taxi drivers is sometimes hilariously far away from the model pronunciation given in the classroom. It's good fun.

That is quite fun - gotta love the overuse of the Beijing (-r). :yep:
Reply 7082
Original post by Kolya

sometimes find its like a continuous growl with tones in it -.-
Wudaokou is good - personally I preferred Lush and The Bridge Cafe to Helen's. :smile:

I get what you mean, most of my Mandarin practise was during class and with my tutor, but seeing as this amounted to over 5 hours a day that was enough practise for me!

Ah I'm (was) a Shanghai girl so my knowledge of Beijing is sorely limited... ask me about Shanghai dive bars :p:

Original post by Mcnubn
Don't get me wrong, there are some good places up there
:tongue: it's just a bit too international for my liking, feel I'd never practice my mandarin if I lived there!

The batong line has a certain charm about it :tongue: even if remnants of torn down buildings never get cleaned up -.-

Yeah no I can see that, for me it was a bit of a treat as I lived in an ancient xiaoqu in Shanghai where I was the only foreigner there, perhaps even on that road... I overlooked a street market so spent most of my time speaking to people down there, so Helen's was a lovely treat when I went to Beijing! I was like, wow, I can speak English again!
(edited 11 years ago)
Ting ma ma de hua
Original post by lovers in japan
Ah I'm (was) a Shanghai girl so my knowledge of Beijing is sorely limited... ask me about Shanghai dive bars :p:

Ah I should've asked you earlier, I'm leaving Shanghai in a week. :sad:
hǎo! :hello:

wo shi bbc :yep:
你好!:smile:

:hello:

你摁么样? ^_^
Ah I should've asked you earlier, I'm leaving Shanghai in a week. :sad:

Oh no sad times! I'm going to hopefully head over for a visit next year some time :smile: It's been a while! I knew the French Concession well, I lived in Xuhui :smile:
Original post by eugenius 8
wo shi bbc :yep:

Cool. :smile: I'm half British so kind of similar I guess. :tongue:

你摁么样? ^_^

“摁”什么意思?
What is the meaning of "èn"?
Reply 7090
Do you get treated like a Chinese or a foreigner in China?
Original post by Kolya
Do you get treated like a Chinese or a foreigner in China?

I look Chinese enough (skin, eye and hair colour) that most people think I'm Chinese until I start to speak with them, so more like a local I guess. :smile:
Reply 7092
Last night I asked a driver where another unfamiliar taxi was from, as I didn't recognise the licence plate. He said it came from "san1xi1". Never heard of the place. 三西? But ok, I don't know every single city in central China. The driver looks at me like I'm a complete idiot nonetheless.

I make a mental note of the province abbreviation and look it up later. Dude was of course talking about shanxi province and just doesn't distinguish between s/sh...

There's gotta be some hilarious stories about people who have ended up hundreds of miles away from their destination in a taxi because of stuff like that.
(edited 11 years ago)

“摁”什么意思?
What is the meaning of "èn"?

It was supposed to day "how're you" :colondollar:
Original post by Kolya
Last night I asked a driver where another unfamiliar taxi was from, as I didn't recognise the licence plate. He said it came from "san1xi1". Never heard of the place. 三西? But ok, I don't know every single city in central China. The driver looks at me like I'm a complete idiot nonetheless.

I make a mental note of the province abbreviation and look it up later. Dude was of course talking about shanxi province and just doesn't distinguish between s/sh...

There's gotta be some hilarious stories about people who have ended up hundreds of miles away from their destination in a taxi because of stuff like that.

He probably wasn't a Beijinger then, they tend to distinguish the s/sh but quite a few regional accents don't (which I think must get confusing even for each other quite often, while you can usually guess from the context there must be some cases of ambiguity).

It was supposed to day "how're you" :colondollar:

Oh I see, it was missing the 'z'. 我还可以,但是觉得太 累了,还有一点感冒了 :frown: 你呢?
Reply 7095
Original post by Kolya

The lady that ran a little shop near my apartment was terrible at the s/sh thing -.- it used to **** me up every time trying to work out if something was 4 kuai, 10 kuai etc -.-
Reply 7096
Original post by Mcnubn
sometimes find its like a continuous growl with tones in it -.-

A good way to embarrass your young well-educated Chinese friends is to speak like that, throwing in countless loud "ai1ya1"s like you're a seventy year old man from Guangzhou who's exasperated with the world.
He probably wasn't a Beijinger then, they tend to distinguish the s/sh but quite a few regional accents don't (which I think must get confusing even for each other quite often, while you can usually guess from the context there must be some cases of ambiguity).

Oh I see, it was missing the 'z'. 我还可以,但是觉得太 累了,还有一点感冒了 :frown: 你呢?

Hmm my Chinese is very poor at the moment. What does that mean?
Reply 7098
yeah, I live in Henan. We don't have many -r speakers here, and Henanren usually distinguish between s/sh as well. I asked the guy where he came from but didn't recognise the place.
Hmm my Chinese is very poor at the moment. What does that mean?

I'm OK, but feel too tired, and have a bit of a cold.

Original post by Kolya
yeah, I live in Henan. We don't have many -r speakers here, and Henanren usually distinguish between s/sh as well. I asked the guy where he came from but didn't recognise the place.

I think maybe Sichuan Province is one place they often do that, as when I go to Sichuan restaurants they often speak like that. The first time I encountered it the woman was trying to tell me it was 14 kuai, but to me it sounded like si-si (4-4). Of course you could distinguish by the tones but I had just started learning then so that was beyond me. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest