The Student Room Group

Chinese people, welcome! [中國人, 歡迎你!] [中国人, 欢迎你!]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7140
lol i can only speak cantonese since im struggling to learn mandarin even though a load of dramas my parents watch now are in mando ^_^ (british born chinese btw :biggrin: )
Original post by Bubblyminty
Do most of you guys speak mandarin or cantonese?

I cannot speak a word of mandarin and feel like such an outsider...:biggrin:.

Mandarin, but not well. And I can understand (very) basic Cantonese.

Original post by Amoeba94
大家好!

I've been learning mandarin for about 9months now so I'm nowhere near fluent... Would I still be accepted by all you guys here? I've been wanting to get some advice on learning by myself (I'm finished with high school and I may be starting lessons in September but just so I don't forget everything in the next couple months) and of course any recommendations for dramas/ movies would be appreciated!

你好!

我也是从去年开始学 中文。:smile:

I'm pretty much in the same situation as you, want to keep up learning independently. For the characters and reading it's pretty easy (just continue to learn characters and read Chinese texts), but for speaking, listening and writing it's going to be a bit harder.
Original post by alex_hk90
Mandarin, but not well. And I can understand (very) basic Cantonese.

I speak mandarin okay but not enough to have a proper conversation with a random stranger. My parents keep telling me that I need to learn more, I really want to but don't know how.
Random question, do chinese people find Russell Peters offensive
Reply 7144
你好!

我也是从去年开始学 中文。:smile:

I'm pretty much in the same situation as you, want to keep up learning independently. For the characters and reading it's pretty easy (just continue to learn characters and read Chinese texts), but for speaking, listening and writing it's going to be a bit harder.

这样 好! :biggrin:

What kind of texts do you read? I'm trying to find the best way of keeping it up . I watch a lot of films and listen to some music. My dictionary isn't the best though, I only have the Collins ones but I'm yet to find any others without a ridiculous P&P price. The speaking is what I'm most worried about :s
Reply 7145
AHHHHHH sorry, I never quoted properly :frown:
Reply 7146
Original post by purpliie
do you mean the sh,ch,zh ?

actually its the word 'canting' (餐厅) that is really messing me up -.- dont know, but when I try to talk a decent pace, this one word ruins everything!

anyway simple solution, changed it to fandian (饭店) -.- all is well now...assuming i can remember it all
Original post by Amoeba94
这样 好! :biggrin:

What kind of texts do you read? I'm trying to find the best way of keeping it up . I watch a lot of films and listen to some music. My dictionary isn't the best though, I only have the Collins ones but I'm yet to find any others without a ridiculous P&P price. The speaking is what I'm most worried about :s

I try to read anything and everything, even on the Metro I've been trying to read the free paper. So my idea was to start reading the BBC in Chinese. Otherwise you could try some textbooks, one of my tutors photocopied me some texts from one called "Intermediate Reading Course" (中级阅读) which is a bit challenging for me (my vocab is only slightly above HSK4 level) but good for practising and learning new words. At the same time I'm working on the HSK5 vocab and list of 3000 most common Chinese characters, using my phone to practise via a flashcard system.

As for dictionaries, the free CC-CEDICT (online version) isn't bad. But instead of relying on a single dictionary I've been using Pleco (mobile phone app) which has multiple dictionaries (some free, others you have to buy as add-ons) and a lot of other (not free though) useful features (pronunciation audio recordings, stroke order diagrams, OCR system, flashcard system, handwriting input (useful if your phone doesn't already have it), etc.).

Cantonese for me. Trying to improve my reading and writing before moving on to Mandarin. In fact i bought a chinese children's book yesterday and struggled with quite a few of the words -_=" (so i made my dad read it to me before i went to sleep... XD)

Original post by 12win12
lol i can only speak cantonese since im struggling to learn mandarin even though a load of dramas my parents watch now are in mando ^_^ (british born chinese btw :biggrin: )

My parents watch mandarin dramas too.. I'd like to watch it with them bt i get frustrated watching something i can hardly understand. I dont mind watching some Taiwan shows though (like 女人我最大) i find they talk a little slower and subtitles are in traditional (on TVB) which is perfect for me. :smile:

For the BBCs here, did you ever go to Chinese school on Sundays or whatever??

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7149
i can understnad most of what the drama is saying now, just cant speak it x]

used to go chinese skl on saturdays tho i quit years ago after finishing my GCSEs for it lol
Original post by 21Grapes

I did for a year or two, but I hated it because it was Sunday mornings, and I already went swimming Saturday mornings, so I had no lie-ins! :eek: :mad: :tongue:
Sorry for the late reply, was stuck with studies and finally with everything is over, i'm stuck with house hunting.

I'm studying Molecular Medical Microbiology. Don't wah, because That's what usually people will do. I would just say I have the interest in it, that's why I find it interesting. However, It's not an easy course to handle. @@

Anyway, just wondering if anyone can recommend me a place to move by June? I'm gonna be kick out from university halls because they wanna accommodate for the Olympics Teams. :frown:

I'm studying in Stratford and works part-time in Oxford Circus, would really appreciate to get somewhere near Central Line. Most importantly a safe area for me to walk alone during midnight. :frown:

Haha yeap! I would say the same with my course too! I pursue it because of my interest in it! :smile:)

Kicked out of university hall? :frown: Meanie. Good luck finding one though! :redface:
Reply 7152
I don't find those too difficult. It's ones like 'c' and 'x' I find hard to pronounce.

ah .. x is like z in American way of pronouncing z. in fact c is no where sounds like a c in English. c and ch is sound almost the same except that ch has a h sound behind, where c is a clearer sound without h sound.

I can speak both, mandarin and cantonese. Feel free to ask any if you have problem. :smile: Don't need to feel like an outsider at all. I'm trying to learn French and Japanese by myself too. It's hard but fun at the same time.
Reply 7153
Original post by Nicholasng925
Haha yeap! I would say the same with my course too! I pursue it because of my interest in it! :smile:)

Kicked out of university hall? :frown: Meanie. Good luck finding one though! :redface:

yup ! All because of Olympics. :frown: Having a rough time in house hunting.

No, :tongue: I've always found it's quite popular amongst my chinese friends though. In a way I wish I did when I was younger because my Chinese is actually horrific now,
ah .. x is like z in American way of pronouncing z. in fact c is no where sounds like a c in English. c and ch is sound almost the same except that ch has a h sound behind, where c is a clearer sound without h sound.

Yeah, I can distinguish the sounds, and I'm OK if it's a word I've learnt before, but just sometimes with new words with those initials I struggle.

I can speak both, mandarin and cantonese. Feel free to ask any if you have problem. :smile: Don't need to feel like an outsider at all. I'm trying to learn French and Japanese by myself too. It's hard but fun at the same time.

I'm so jealous. :colondollar: :tongue:

Where are you house hunting? I need to find a place in London near Canary Wharf to move in around September, do you know the area (i.e. do you have any recommendations on where I should look)? :smile:
Original post by Killuminati1989
Random question, do chinese people find Russell Peters offensive

Nah I loved when he was talking about the kid in Beijing saying 那个那个那个那个那个那个 in front of a black woman in KFC

Are you looking for temporary accommodation for the summer? If so i know LSE rent out rooms in their halls for tourists over the summer.

Original post by Brand New Eyes
No, :tongue: I've always found it's quite popular amongst my chinese friends though. In a way I wish I did when I was younger because my Chinese is actually horrific now,

Same. Well, actually i went but the teaching was just terrible and i never learnt anything. Would have loved to carry on going if it were actually useful :/

Reply 7158
Yeah, I can distinguish the sounds, and I'm OK if it's a word I've learnt before, but just sometimes with new words with those initials I struggle.

Yeah, just repeat it for any other new words, it works the same. :smile:

I'm so jealous. :colondollar: :tongue:

Haha ! Cantonese is easy to pick up when you can speak Mandarin.

Where are you house hunting? I need to find a place in London near Canary Wharf to move in around September, do you know the area (i.e. do you have any recommendations on where I should look)? :smile:

East London huh, somewhere near where I'm staying. Well, depending on your budget though.

Are you looking for temporary accommodation for the summer? If so i know LSE rent out rooms in their halls for tourists over the summer.

I'm looking for a permanent for 10 months stay.

Same. Well, actually i went but the teaching was just terrible and i never learnt anything. Would have loved to carry on going if it were actually useful :/

East London huh, somewhere near where I'm staying. Well, depending on your budget though.

As a guide, something around £150 a week (including council tax and utilities), probably sharing with a few others.

Quick Reply

Latest