The Student Room Group

Chinese people, welcome! [中國人, 歡迎你!] [中国人, 欢迎你!]

Scroll to see replies

Most people here would be from Taiwan, Hong Kong, Mainland China, or Britain. It seems like it.

Cool didn't know that, i would have thought most were from mainland cos there is alot of mainland students about.
Reply 81
Original post by &#20026
Cool didn't know that, i would have thought most were from mainland cos there is alot of mainland students about.

That may be true...but remember that Hong Kong was ruled by the British...so I guess majority of the people who are born in Britain had parents from Hong Kong. This is my assumption, but I'm not sure. For the people in Taiwan, I guess they are international students and so as the people in Mainland China, which are scattered across the globe.
Reply 82
of those living in HK... we should meet up some time :wink:
Reply 83
Hanoi
Maybe they just don't like the communist government, you don't have to take everything personally.

NJStar is good for that... http://www.njstar.com/
You can select different input methods too. :smile:

Awesome, thanks! I'm trying to learn Chinese better, and it'll be helpful if I can practise on my laptop.
Reply 84
Chase Me
Awesome, thanks! I'm trying to learn Chinese better, and it'll be helpful if I can practise on my laptop.

I guess it is a good way to learn your Chinese. However, it would be pretty difficult, unless they have the pronounciations and the stroke order embedded into the program. :p:
Reply 85
Hello 大家好!:smile:

I am Chinese, born in Denmark and currently living in Singapore. Okay, I will share some nice songs too! I love listening to 蕭敬騰, especially his covers of the songs below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldjrqUSEEHs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4y8zxgG4kU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgE8oWKnZ_4

Anyway, I'll be going to Royal Holloway in Sept to study management, does anyone have an idea of the reputation of the school or its management degree? Thanks in advance for any reponses haha :smile:
bloody hell, there is alot of oversees chinese students.

I don't know why i am so suprised.

Is anyone going to cambridge either this year or next?
Reply 87
hehe, let's join the bandwagon, anyone going King's next year?
Reply 88
dimdim_lee
hehe, let's join the bandwagon, anyone going King's next year?

I'm not going to Uni, next year I stay in 6th form :redface: what are you guys going to study ?

If you are really Chinese it's either engineering, maths, economics, medicine, law or physics :p: :biggrin:
If you are really Chinese it's either engineering, maths, economics, medicine, law or physics

I am med.

To fair, some stereotypes are statistically true.
Reply 90
Hanoi
I'm not going to Uni, next year I stay in 6th form :redface: what are you guys going to study ?

If you are really Chinese it's either engineering, maths, economics, medicine, law or physics :p: :biggrin:

Typical subjects parents' will expect you to do at uni. Even math is frown upon by some parents.
Even math is frown upon by some parents.

really? my parents tried to encourage me to take a maths related subject
Reply 92
Original post by &#20026
really? my parents tried to encourage me to take a maths related subject

:frown: Its true. Math related is fine but pure math? They will tell you this:" What are you going to be in the future? A teacher?" :rolleyes:
Reply 93
That's strange, there is a shortage of mathematicians in the UK, I would have thought that they would be in demand.
But I guess it's not like med or law where you study it to get the job at the end.
Its true. Math related is fine but pure math? They will tell you this:" What are you going to be in the future? A teacher?"

probably, although i was never going to do pure maths anyway. It just wasn't secy enough for me. Although i think maths is becoming a 'hotter' subject now, thanks to american Tv shows and the media
Reply 95
Hanoi
That's strange, there is a shortage of mathematicians in the UK, I would have thought that they would be in demand.
But I guess it's not like med or law where you study it to get the job at the end.

Correct! But given the current situation, I think math graduates will have good prospects in the future.

Original post by &#20026
probably, although i was never going to do pure maths anyway. It just wasn't secy enough for me. Although i think maths is becoming a 'hotter' subject now, thanks to american Tv shows and the media

LOL, your reasons are different from mine. Pure math is not on my list because I just hate vectors! :p: Media I believe but American TV shows?
American TV shows

Yes!! numb3rs, and have you heard of Danica Mckeller (not sure on the spelling) she actually makes maths enticing
Reply 97
studyboy

LOL, your reasons are different from mine. Pure math is not on my list because I just hate vectors! :p: Media I believe but American TV shows?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numb3rs
I have never watched it but it's strange to think that maths can be dramatisised. :p:
I have never watched it but it's strange to think that maths can be dramatisised.

its really good. But like most TV shows its stereotyped for entertainment purposes, eg middle eastern=terrorism, war veterens=psychotic, black/asian=gangs, chinese=moles/snakeheads.

but other than that, its really good
Reply 99
Ah I see! I didn't even know this show existed! Thanks to you guys, I think I am going to start watching the series! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending