The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Sanjetti
Yeh I'm doing exactly the same :s-smilie: "So,too, in this most disturbance, when the dignity and safety..." ahhh stop! :P

Hahah yeah. Do you buy any chance have any notes on pro roscio? It wasnt taught to me very well :frown:
Reply 41
Shaksi
Hahah yeah. Do you buy any chance have any notes on pro roscio? It wasnt taught to me very well :frown:

Oh yeh sure, I think it was taught to us quite well- well im more confident on it than my Virgil. If it's like a specific section, I could PM you some of the notes. Stupid thing is I've lsot my own notes at such a crucial time, but hopefully I can remember most of it :biggrin:
Reply 42
Sanjetti
Oh yeh sure, I think it was taught to us quite well- well im more confident on it than my Virgil. If it's like a specific section, I could PM you some of the notes. Stupid thing is I've lsot my own notes at such a crucial time, but hopefully I can remember most of it :biggrin:

Oh I see. Well if you have any notes on your computer or whatever I'd really appreciate them :smile:
Reply 43
To anyone doing Cicero Pro Roscio Amerino

These are some interesting character profiles. Enjoy!
Reply 44
Shaksi
Oh I see. Well if you have any notes on your computer or whatever I'd really appreciate them :smile:

oh im really sorry shaksi, the only thing I've got on computer is a translation, and I guess that wouldn't be too useful at this stage...:frown:
Reply 45
Sanjetti
oh im really sorry shaksi, the only thing I've got on computer is a translation, and I guess that wouldn't be too useful at this stage...:frown:

Dont worry. Maybe my notes above your post will help? :smile:
Reply 46
Shaksi
Dont worry. Maybe my notes above your post will help? :smile:

oh yeh i had a look at the Chrysogonus one! Thanks, they're awesome, did you do em urself (including the cartoons hehe)?
Reply 47
Sanjetti
oh yeh i had a look at the Chrysogonus one! Thanks, they're awesome, did you do em urself (including the cartoons hehe)?

Hehe no my teacher sent them to us (I think another teacher from a diff school sent them to him)

No prob, glad they helped
Reply 48
I'm not going to be able to do this

I havent LOOKED at grammar. :frown: Just haven't had time.

I still have loads of lit to do :bawling:
I love it when people think that Latin is for 'posh, private' schools. I go to a very rubbish state school, and we have TWO Latin teachers, whilst students from our posher counterpart school have to come to US to learn Latin. :biggrin:

Argh, getting ready to fail anything to do with the Aeneid. And grammar. And vocab.
Reply 50
evissa has to now learn all her cicero- ie 24 sections.....

(evissa being me) ive resulted in referring to myslef as the third person...
Reply 51
evissa
evissa has to now learn all her cicero- ie 24 sections.....

(evissa being me) ive resulted in referring to myslef as the third person...

ahh i'm jealous! i've done 15-27, 62-70. but i'm sooo shaky on 68, 69, 70. i have to do one more today then one tomorrow :s-smilie:

are you doing ovid as well?
Reply 52
Shaksi
ahh i'm jealous! i've done 15-27, 62-70. but i'm sooo shaky on 68, 69, 70. i have to do one more today then one tomorrow :s-smilie:

are you doing ovid as well?

yep, ah dear ovid....im currentl tryin to think of how to politely describe poem 5 without being too explicit.....

arghhhhhh this vocab list is way longer than i thought...doesn anyone know when its ok to use the word emperor as oppose to power/ command?
Reply 53
do you mean 'emperor' as opposed to 'commander'? If the passage refers to somebody before Augustus then it shouldn't be Emperor because they hadn't invented Emperors.. haha

Basically, the grammar is more important than the vocab, ppl... if you see a word you don't understand, work out it's grammar and just make up a meaning to fit the grammar - that bound to get you some marks.

As for the literature, if you know your translation well, you'll sail through!

I'm A2 student, resitting the AS translation to get some more marks... I re-sat Virgil & Cicero translation & essay paper in January, having actually learnt the translation properly and got 90/90 - proof that really learning the translation well is the key! Seriously, it is! Bit late to say that now, I suppose...

so... good luck to you all :biggrin:

Personally I'm a bit worried because I haven't looked at the vocab list since last summer .. haha

Hmmm I too prefer Virgil to Ovid. More exciting, less soppy, less arrogant! And easier too, methinks. As for Cicero, hm.. yuk
Reply 54
i hate ovid 15 :mad:

if i had a time machine i'd go back in time and give ovid a smack

(and not the type he'd want from corinna... ho ho)

as you can see my sense of humour has effectively disappeared because of the upcoming latin exams
:p:
Reply 55
Longbow: how literally did you translate the latin in the translation part of literature 2, because the literal version from my notes is very hard to understand, but the traditional latin from the textbook (im using barsby) has really changed the latin.
Reply 56
i love barsby!

my teacher calls him sunshine haha
Reply 57
Ah, well, I didn't do Ovid last year,... but my translations this time round are not that literal, though perhaps slightly more literal than Barsby? (I use that book too) We made our own translations in class. They don't stick to the latin stupidly closely... we tried to get across in English what would most suit what Ovid was trying to say, as opposed to slaughtering the meaning by sticking relentlessly to the grammar.

In Virgil last year there were a few changes to make the translation sound more natural, so I don't think adapting the translation will have that much of an effect, as it didn't seem to do me any harm! If your literal translation is hard to understand, then try to make it make sense - but I wouldn't risk straying TOO far from the latin. However, if what you put has the same meaning as the latin then I don't see why they should mark you down.

Heh, my teacher made the typo "Barby" a few times... :wink:
Reply 58
Does anyone have any past paper unseen translations by chance? Such endeavouring efforts would be truly appreciated.
Reply 59
^ Ditto that, will rep anyone who provides any unseens

Latest