The Student Room Group

Second Guessing myself - PhD

Not too sure where to put this, but i'll try here!

I have literally just finished my finals, and in a few weeks will be graduating. Back in April i applied to do a PhD at the same department/university (i do love my subject) and days before my finals started i was accepted and given a place to study what i wanted.

Thing is, now finals have ended and ive really given thought into it, i'm kind of second guessing myself. Is this really the career path i want? then again im thinking i wouldnt have applied for this if i really didnt want it.....am i ready for a career in academia? i know noone can answer this but me...i dont know why im getting cold feet :frown:
Reply 1
If you're having thoughts like this now, 2 years in are you going to be feeling even worse? 3 years is a long time to be studying one area of research on your own.

You'll be firstly registered on the MPhil scheme I'd imagine so if it isn't the right path for you, you'll still be able to leave it earlier but come away with a qualification (if you write the required number of words).

I've always been told having a PhD can be limiting as you're really qualifying yourself for one career only But that's probably more specific to my subject. I know of someone who has a PhD and just cannot find a job. Reason why? Every application has come back saying she's overqualified!

Have you thought about doing an MA instead? Another a year (ok, so prolonging the process) but still able to develop ideas and see whether you're really wanting to go down that route.

You may find that in 4 days time when the dire boredom sets in (I've just finished too) that you wont be able to contain yourself and want to get started right away which is how I'm feeling, after an initial "do I really want to fork out thousands next year". Tell you one thing though - get a job, work for 2 weeks with only 3 days off and that'll confirm your thoughts (speaking from experience here!)
JazzyJo
Not too sure where to put this, but i'll try here!

I have literally just finished my finals, and in a few weeks will be graduating. Back in April i applied to do a PhD at the same department/university (i do love my subject) and days before my finals started i was accepted and given a place to study what i wanted.

Thing is, now finals have ended and ive really given thought into it, i'm kind of second guessing myself. Is this really the career path i want? then again im thinking i wouldnt have applied for this if i really didnt want it.....am i ready for a career in academia? i know noone can answer this but me...i dont know why im getting cold feet :frown:

For what it's worth, I think everyone gets cold feet. I had a terrible attack of the heebie jeebies whilst applying for my PhD (I'm also a final year) but I managed to work through it by seriously considering what else I'd prefer to do. The answer I came up with was nothing.

Don't worry too much about the career path. A PhD can lead into plenty of things other than academia, so don't predicate your decision on 'do I want to be at a university for the rest of my life?'. The more important questions for you are, are you happy researching your topic for three years, and are you happy to pursue it at your current university?

I agree with teapot (:wink:) that you might like to consider taking a masters if you're feeling indecisive. Then again, I don't know how this impacts on any funding you may have secured. It might be worth seeing if you can speak to someone in the department about it - if you're worried about being 'exposed' as it were phrase it as worries about whether you're good enough, not whether you want to do it.

Best of luck!
Reply 3
hey - thanks for the replies

yeah i'm hoping its just cold feet and in a few days ill wake up feeling different. its just today i got my accomodation sorted and i was like 'wow, this is really happening'

Thankfully i wont be too much on my own in a new subject area - my supervisors are the same ones who were for my dissertation and i get on well with them. I know a few people in the department already, and i get paid for doing it (its sports science) so no worried in that area....

oh - i cant do a masters (Well i could, but i dont really want to!) as this institution doesnt offer them, and i dont really want to move.
JazzyJo
hey - thanks for the replies

yeah i'm hoping its just cold feet and in a few days ill wake up feeling different. its just today i got my accomodation sorted and i was like 'wow, this is really happening'

I'm still feeling like that every day. I'm so excited, but also a bit terrified. :biggrin:

JazzyJo

oh - i cant do a masters (Well i could, but i dont really want to!) as this institution doesnt offer them, and i dont really want to move.

Well then, the choice for you is 'do I want to do this PhD programme' or 'do I want to get a job'?. It's a pretty simple dualism really - and I suspect the fact that you've got this far means that deep down you know that option #2 isn't right for you. :smile:
Reply 5
Ah fab, a studentship then?

It's probably just that first day of being free from uni work-itus which I think we've all suffered from. I can't wait to go back into the nice bubble of academic life away from the general public ~shudder~
I'm pretty sure everyone gets cold feet, especially in the beginning. I've never met anyone worthwhile who hasn't offered some dire warnings to those contemplating a PhD. It is one of those things where if you are not at least somewhat terrified you probably don't understand what the fates have in store for you.

I'd say that if you love your subject and have the support of supervisors who already know you (and who likewise think you are up to it), it's worth at least taking the leap. As for career prospects, that's another matter (headache) entirely and one which you're better equipped to deliberate upon than I am.

Good luck!
If you are funded/in receipt of a studentship, I would seriously think twice before making any rash decisions. Funding is like gold dust - don't turn down an opportunity that you might not be able to get again (potentially), and which you might regret in the future. Just a thought :smile:
Reply 8
Thanks for the replies everyone!

It is a big step and i know i would rather further my knowledge and contribute to research within my field. I guess maybe now everything seems so final that it makes me wonder what else i could be doing...
Relax, I'm sure you'll enjoy the PhD but if you don't, you can always leave. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending