The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can get them tomorrow morning if you like.
Reply 2
Unregistered..
hey

im gettin glasses on monday...cant see blackboard in school etc.

how long b4 i can get contact lenses..im 18 and never wore glasses and dont want to!

thanks.

I don't like wearing glasses either. However, poking a piece of glass on to the surface of my eyball every morning is even less appealing. :frown:
Reply 3
Pencil
You can get them tomorrow morning if you like.

optician said i gotta have glasses 3 motnhs???
Unregistered...

S/he could be waiting to check whether your eyesight is getting worse or stabilising.
Reply 5
Unregistered...

The 3 months is so that you accustom to your "new sight". Some opticians recommend keeping glasses for longer i.e. at least until your next appointment - like queen said, it's to make sure your sight has stabilised.
Reply 6
Pegasus
I don't like wearing glasses either. However, poking a piece of glass on to the surface of my eyball every morning is even less appealing. :frown:

contact lenses are not made from glass, they are plastic. i was exactly the same at first but have now got used to lenses and find they are incredibly comfortable, dont even notice they are there.
Reply 7
tagzt
contact lenses are not made from glass, they are plastic. i was exactly the same at first but have now got used to lenses and find they are incredibly comfortable, dont even notice they are there.

how comfy contact lenses are is a totally individual thing, i was fine with mine right from the beginning and never had any problems, but my optician says some people are really squemish and just can't cope with them at all because their eye just can't cope with this foreign body in it. but it's definately worth asking tho.

lou xxx
Reply 8
Your optician needs to know if your number is stable enough to give you contacts. This will probably take around a year. You could try and convince them otherwise though, as they are just human and they do understand that you want them due to 'cosmetic' reasons. Getting contacts before uni could be a hassle though, as you have to have numerous appointments organised etc, but it'll definitely be worthwhile. I've recently had problems with my own lenses cos Boots changed all their cleaning solutions and one of them had an allergic reaction with my eyes! I have some scary peroxide stuff now, which if i get in my eye will apparently kill like hell and i'll have to go to hospital (no joke, they actually told me this).

Nice one Boots. Grrr.
Reply 9
onlywee
Your optician needs to know if your number is stable enough to give you contacts. This will probably take around a year. You could try and convince them otherwise though, as they are just human and they do understand that you want them due to 'cosmetic' reasons. Getting contacts before uni could be a hassle though, as you have to have numerous appointments organised etc, but it'll definitely be worthwhile. I've recently had problems with my own lenses cos Boots changed all their cleaning solutions and one of them had an allergic reaction with my eyes! I have some scary peroxide stuff now, which if i get in my eye will apparently kill like hell and i'll have to go to hospital (no joke, they actually told me this).

Nice one Boots. Grrr.

a yr!!????

noooooooooooooo

the guy said 3 months. even that sounds too much. but will that mean 3 months continuously ..all day?? or just when i need to see b.board or watch tv etc??

thanks.
Reply 10
Pegasus

i have to wear contacts everyyyy day. its suchhhh a hassle!!! dont really like glasses!
Reply 11
yeah I got contacts after a while, they cost me £60 and they are ones that you have to leave in a petri dish with cleaner!

Learning how to put them in and take them out is the hardest bit!

I can wear them for about 12 hours before they become head doing.

Adam
Reply 12
Unregistered...
a yr!!????

noooooooooooooo

the guy said 3 months. even that sounds too much. but will that mean 3 months continuously ..all day?? or just when i need to see b.board or watch tv etc??

thanks.

Well when i first started wearing glasses it was just to read boards etc too. I was quite young (about 14) and i got contacts when i was 16 as that was the age they recommended. If you only need them for boards etc consider yourself very lucky! contacts are quite expensive so you may be ok not having them for such a small amount of usage. People with glasses are considered to be the intellectual sexy sort, so you don't lose out! Get a funky pair of designer ones, i saw some really nice ones at Boots today, they look good on.

Wearing contacts means you'll have to wear them all the time, not just board reading etc, which could put unecessary strain on your eyes, which may end up being detrimental in the end. I suggest you follow their guidelines for a bit at least, and if your number gets worse then get contacts.
Reply 13
onlywee
Well when i first started wearing glasses it was just to read boards etc too. I was quite young (about 14) and i got contacts when i was 16 as that was the age they recommended. If you only need them for boards etc consider yourself very lucky! contacts are quite expensive so you may be ok not having them for such a small amount of usage. People with glasses are considered to be the intellectual sexy sort, so you don't lose out! Get a funky pair of designer ones, i saw some really nice ones at Boots today, they look good on.

Wearing contacts means you'll have to wear them all the time, not just board reading etc, which could put unecessary strain on your eyes, which may end up being detrimental in the end. I suggest you follow their guidelines for a bit at least, and if your number gets worse then get contacts.

i agree with onlywee that it ould put extra strain on your eyes if you wear contacts all the time. i can't see a thing if i don't have my cotacts/glasses on so i need them all the time, but you could finding somethings hard if you have your contacts in for a unsuitable length of time and your eye is not something to risk damaging.

i think your best bet is to talk to your optician and ask him...he knows what will be best for your eyes etc. if you do have to have glasses, don't stress, glasses can be sexy. i had to wear them for about 8 years before i got contacts.

lou xxx
Reply 14
onlywee

Nice one Boots. Grrr.

boots are a complete rip off for contact lenses, i wear dailies and ran out so i phoned boots to ask for some more. they said i couldn't get any more until i booked an aftercare (which used to be free but is now £20) and then said that i couldnt come to an aftercare without lenses!! anyway, i went to the specsavers website and they have the exact same lenses that boots sell as "boots dailies" for less than half price! i ordered them and they came through the post...all in all boots are a rip off and im going for my last aftercare with them tomo and then changing to specsavers
Reply 15
Try to make the glasses part of your personality, don't hide behind them and think you look silly. Cos you really honestly won't look any different to most people, when you look at a crowd of people i can guarantee that you don't look at someone and think 'oh my gawd, they wear glasses!'.
Reply 16
onlywee
Try to make the glasses part of your personality, don't hide behind them and think you look silly. Cos you really honestly won't look any different to most people, when you look at a crowd of people i can guarantee that you don't look at someone and think 'oh my gawd, they wear glasses!'.

tonnes of people look well cleverer with glasses (that appalling phrasology but hey), i think people like nicole kidman really suit them and there no doubting how pretty she is.

lou xxx
I have worn glasses for nearly 3 years now. Before then, I had trouble reading the board perfectly and usually copied from the person who sat next to me. I had a few eye tests at my primary and secondary schools but I never really went to see an optician. Back then, my parents said that 'glasses are only for blind people', lol. They probably just didn't like me wearing glasses that's all but when I told them I needed them to see stuff on the board and they realised I kept squinting my eyes when I watched TV, I finally went to the opticians. Since then, I have worn my glasses everyday, from when I'm ready for college to when I go to sleep. I have only had 2 pairs so far, both the same.

I personally think that glasses can make you look cool but it depends on the glasses and how it looks with your face size and shape. I'm thinking of getting a pair where you don't get the bottom half or the 'frameless' ones (dunno what they are called though). They look pretty cool to me but they cost like £100 or something.

Btw, I went with Specsavers the first time and got mine free since I was a student in full-time education. I'm 18 very soon and I was wondering whether I could still get a NHS discount since I'm still in college and also whether I could go somewhere other than Specsavers? I want to try Vision Express instead.
Reply 18
jediknight007
I have worn glasses for nearly 3 years now. Before then, I had trouble reading the board perfectly and usually copied from the person who sat next to me. I had a few eye tests at my primary and secondary schools but I never really went to see an optician. Back then, my parents said that 'glasses are only for blind people', lol. They probably just didn't like me wearing glasses that's all but when I told them I needed them to see stuff on the board and they realised I kept squinting my eyes when I watched TV, I finally went to the opticians. Since then, I have worn my glasses everyday, from when I'm ready for college to when I go to sleep. I have only had 2 pairs so far, both the same.

I personally think that glasses can make you look cool but it depends on the glasses and how it looks with your face size and shape. I'm thinking of getting a pair where you don't get the bottom half or the 'frameless' ones (dunno what they are called though). They look pretty cool to me but they cost like £100 or something.

Btw, I went with Specsavers the first time and got mine free since I was a student in full-time education. I'm 18 very soon and I was wondering whether I could still get a NHS discount since I'm still in college and also whether I could go somewhere other than Specsavers? I want to try Vision Express instead.

yeha, im 18 and got em free
jediknight007

Yes you are entitled to a free eye test and the value of the NHS prescription voucher as long as you are 18 and in Full Time Education.

When you turn 19, you won't be entitled to full help, but you may be able to get partial help with the cost by filling in some NHS form (HC1 I think).

Just because you have an eye test at Specsavers doesn't mean you have to claim the value of your NHS voucher there, you can go to anywhere.

And you are allowed to switch opticians at any time, though you won't be able to have more than the one free eye test per year, as this is your entitlement under the NHS.

Andrew

Latest

Trending

Trending