The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Queen Alice
It completely depends from person to person. They look at each applicant individually, so if someone has a weak 4th AS but an amazing personal statement they might not care.

Whilst UCL asks for a pass, naturally they would prefer a candidate with AAAa to AAAd.

In my case, I got a D in chemistry! I was made offers by Bristol, Warwick and Durham but not UCL. As far as I could see, this was the only flaw in my application as my PS, reference, GCSEs and predicted grades were very good... so I think this shows that UCL still can discriminate against one low AS grade.

Don't worry though, you get 5 choices and I am sure that not all of them will be bothered about it - espesh as it is History, a respected subject.
The annoying thing is in the mocks couple of weeks beforehand I got B's, but on the day I had two of my exams I also had a Maths exam and fairly tired mentally by the time it came to my History exams, and I usually have time issues in written exams, and I was I was thinking slower I panicked and started writing instead of taking the time to plan my answer out.
Reply 21
joshm
For people going into 2nd year at my college, they are of lesser priority for AS subjects than those who have just done their GCSE's. The 2nd years who want to do another AS have to go see the head of department to get put on the waiting list for that subject as a lot of courses are oversubscribed. I've only done this with Electronics and it's not definate I will be able to get on that course.

And thanks for the responses so far.

oh right, that's pretty unlucky for you then :frown:. So your three choices now are:
1) Take the D
Advantage: Less work at A2, concentrate on AAA
Disadvantage: Could harm your application
2) Retake a history module
Advantage: More work, but you already know some material which makes it easier. If successful your application is better
Disadvantage: Work load
3) New As
Advantage: Fresh start, could do really well
Disadvantage: However...could go really badly too and it's even more work than option 2.

Each one those choices has its advantage and disadvantage so you've just got to ask yourself what you can do and what you can't really.
Reply 22
random321
oh right, that's pretty unlucky for you then :frown:. So your three choices now are:
1) Take the D
Advantage: Less work at A2, concentrate on AAA
Disadvantage: Could harm your application
2) Retake a history module
Advantage: More work, but you already know some material which makes it easier. If successful your application is better
Disadvantage: Work load
3) New As
Advantage: Fresh start, could do really well
Disadvantage: However...could go really badly too and it's even more work than option 2.

Each one those choices has its advantage and disadvantage so you've just got to ask yourself what you can do and what you can't really.
I think I'll do either 1 or 3, as I never want to look at anything to do with that course ever again. 1 would give me more time to focus on a STEP or AEA paper that is required from Warwick, but without a decent AS grade I might not get an offer. I reckon I'll get on the Electronics course and then have a talk with my maths teacher and then drop it if neccessary. Thanks alot for your suggestions. :smile:
Reply 23
joshm
1 would give me more time to focus on a STEP or AEA paper that is required from Warwick, but without a decent AS grade I might not get an offer

step or aea? never heard that before

Latest

Trending

Trending