The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Cyrus The Great
Hey guys,

I always get stuck on determining whether something is electrophillic substitution/elimination/addition or nucleophillic substitution/elimination/addition.

Can someone please help me out a bit. Cheers

Nucleophilic is where something is attracted to a positive charge, for example attracted to a carbocation, or a carbon attracted to a bromine.

Electrophilic is where something is attracted to a negative charge, for example hydroxide ions.

Substitution is where the thing is swapped, for example a haloalkane could be swapped for a OH group.

Elimination is where the products include a small molecule, e.g. water or a haloalkane. The small product was removed from the main reactant e.g. a haloalkane or an alcohol.

Addition is pretty straightforward, the electrophile or nucleophile is attracted to something and is added on to it.

Hope that helps!
It's ALWAYS Electropholic Addition and Nucleophilic Substituition
Reply 3
~*~rAiNbOw~*~

Not always, for example the reaction between a nucleophilic bromide ion and a carbocation = nucleophilic addition.
Fair enough..all the equations in my exam board are either EA or NS
Reply 5
~*~rAiNbOw~*~
Fair enough..all the equations in my exam board are either EA or NS

Ah right, well then it's easy enough to remember :biggrin:
Lulu*et*Moi
It could be Elimination in some circumstances..or even hydration

Can't you determine the actual mechanism by whether the initial reactant has a double bond? :s-smilie:

I was talking about it being Nucleiophilic SUBSTITUTION and Electrophilic ADDITION (the ending of both words being the same); didn't say nought bout elimination and hydration...
but I don't think u can determine the type of a reaction purely on the basis of one of reactants having a double bond; you've got to know whats reacting and whats being formed.
Reply 7
Lulu*et*Moi
It could be Elimination in some circumstances..or even hydration

Can't you determine the actual mechanism by whether the initial reactant has a double bond? :s-smilie:

Well I think the only thing a double bond can be is addition, because it's unsaturated. You can't substitute a hydrogen for anything else, and you surely can't eliminate.

But simply because haloalkanes don't have a double bond doesn't tell you what mechanism there is going to be (because there are many).
jonnyofengland
Well I think the only thing a double bond can be is addition, because it's unsaturated. You can't substitute a hydrogen for anything else, and you surely can't eliminate.

Although not for A-level you can do all those things :biggrin:
Reply 9
Also if you look at the reagents you can tell, nucleophilies are normally -vely charged and have a lp of e's, and then if its adding on or substituting for something else will give you the mechanism.
EierVonSatan
Although not for A-level you can do all those things :biggrin:

Dammit! I knew we were lied to. We're always lied to. First they tell us the world is flat, then it's round, I wonder what shape it will be tomorrow?
~*~rAiNbOw~*~

I take it you havnt done benzine chemistry yet that reacts by electrophilic substitution, you also have nucleophic addition/elimination which you can see with the reaction of an acyl chloride with an alcohol to form an ester :smile:
jonnyofengland
Dammit! I knew we were lied to. We're always lied to. First they tell us the world is flat, then it's round, I wonder what shape it will be tomorrow?

egg shaped.
~*~rAiNbOw~*~
egg shaped.

:eek: :eek:

Yes they lie at A Level. They lie in first year degree too (and possibly after for all I know) but they don't call it lying, they call it "handwaving" :s-smilie:
~*~rAiNbOw~*~
egg shaped.

Then what came first, our world or a giant mother chicken?

Latest