The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
To be fair there is no political party willing to make this a big issue - main reason being that it ain't that important (and also you ain't allowed to discuss it in the Commons :rolleyes: ).

A few years ago there were quite a few debates about whether we should have a royal family. IMO I don't think its really about whether we should abolish it - I think it will slowly die out. I can't see Charles as King or William or anyone else :biggrin:.
Reply 2
The royal family attracts lots of money from tourists. I don't say I agree with it, but if tourists want to boost our economy because we have a royal family why should we deny them that opportunity?
Reply 3
The Queen gives old people a reason for living.

John
Reply 4
I think the monarchy should not be abolished and is a integral part of British society - (even though its bollocks)
Reply 5
keep the royals we need an independent head of state. the word 'president' has bad connotations for me at the mo lol (thinking of dubya)
It's nice to have a monarchy in this country. We have been ruled by Kings and Queens for most of our history and I don't see why it should stop.
Reply 7
edders
keep the royals we need an independent head of state. the word 'president' has bad connotations for me at the mo lol (thinking of dubya)

But a UK President would have less power than the Prime Minister, America's president is head of state and PM rolled into one, effectively, giving him great power. We'd just have some old person (probably a peer) who would get to do the job of head-of-state. The Queen can still be called the Queen, but she would have to fund herself. She could still live in Buck House, if you can afford to buy it back.
Reply 8
Lord Huntroyde
But a UK President would have less power than the Prime Minister, America's president is head of state and PM rolled into one, effectively, giving him great power. We'd just have some old person (probably a peer) who would get to do the job of head-of-state. The Queen can still be called the Queen, but she would have to fund herself. She could still live in Buck House, if you can afford to buy it back.

america's president has less power (relatively) than our PM. but still, i dont want a british president, that would seriously suck. another politician to blame for our problems!
Reply 9
We have always had a monarchy, and I don't see why it needs to stop. Even if they don't seem to be doing alot to benefit the country , they certainly aren't harming it, so it may as well stay.
Reply 10
if you were royal family then you wouldn't be asking this question
Reply 11
Cathie
We have always had a monarchy, and I don't see why it needs to stop. Even if they don't seem to be doing alot to benefit the country , they certainly aren't harming it, so it may as well stay.

They get loads of money off the tax payer, and they symbolise a Britian which no longer really exists, we are no longer run by the aristocracy, the Royal Family are the last remnants and a constant reminder of the dictatorship that was instilled in this country.
Reply 12
i think that the royal family is a good idea and that we should definately keep it!
Reply 13
LadyFadge
i think that the royal family is a good idea and that we should definately keep it!

Why?
Reply 14
Lord Huntroyde
Why?

Because we need someone to keep the prime minister under raps
Reply 15
LadyFadge
Because we need someone to keep the prime minister under raps

They don't do that though. The Queen does not have the power.
Reply 16
Lord Huntroyde
They don't do that though. The Queen does not have the power.

No i think that you will find that Tony Blair has the queen right where he needs her
Reply 17
LadyFadge
No i think that you will find that Tony Blair has the queen right where he needs her

What does that mean?
Reply 18
Lord Huntroyde
What does that mean?

The fact that the prime minister can get everything that he wants out of her. He is like her trusted advisor. Thats all
Reply 19
LadyFadge
The fact that the prime minister can get everything that he wants out of her. He is like her trusted advisor. Thats all

they hardly ever see each other. He certainly doesn't advise her, she is just a figure head, he hs a country to run.

Latest

Trending

Trending