The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
ESC4 was fairly easy, ESC5 a little harder. The question about the effects of noise on objects was a bit odd. I wrote about vibrations breaking glass and causing other objects to fall onto other objects - a bit random, but all I could think of. I know it was only 2 marks, but what did other people put?
The 4 marks for doing some maths in ESC5 was a bit horrible. I had no idea how to do the last bit of the maths question.
I only need Bs on each of those papers to get an A overall though, so I think I've done it!
Reply 21
HacklyFracture
Don't know if you still need these but for you or anyone else that might find them useful. They're not fantastic or anything but I'll attach them anyway.

I've got some powerpoints on
Nutrient pollution
Heavy Metal Water Pollution
Human Population
Deforestation
El Nino
and
Set aside

if anyone wants to look at them I could email them or something because I can't upload them to this?

Have you got the Environmental Science Fact Sheets?

Even though I don't do environmental science but I thought the sheets you added were quite interesting! :biggrin:
Reply 22
Genius12
ESC4 was fairly easy, ESC5 a little harder. The question about the effects of noise on objects was a bit odd. I wrote about vibrations breaking glass and causing other objects to fall onto other objects - a bit random, but all I could think of. I know it was only 2 marks, but what did other people put?
The 4 marks for doing some maths in ESC5 was a bit horrible. I had no idea how to do the last bit of the maths question.
I only need Bs on each of those papers to get an A overall though, so I think I've done it!

I talked about buildings suffering acoustic fatigue, causing cracks etc. for that one. I'm not sure how you'd get 5 marks worth of stuff about limiting damage to industrial workers though...

And yeah, I agree about the maths question. It was probably the most horrible one I've ever seen in all the ESC5 papers. I think I managed to fill the table correctly, but I completely guessed the second part.
Reply 23
maths question i totally hated it, i wos able to answer on of them by multiplyin by 1million, but i couldnt get mass.

the essay on mod5 6B) was it disscuss the ways in monitoring of environmental, public, workers and workplace can reduce pollution from ionising radiation?

did we also have to write about shielding such as how to stop beta and vitrification? because i didnt write that :confused:
Reply 24
please some1 let me know about my question above.

and about the sound causing the object to break i wrote
sound causes the object to vibrate at its resonant frequency which causes stress cracks and structural failure
Reply 25
cobra2
maths question i totally hated it, i wos able to answer on of them by multiplyin by 1million, but i couldnt get mass.

the essay on mod5 6B) was it disscuss the ways in monitoring of environmental, public, workers and workplace can reduce pollution from ionising radiation?
did we also have to write about shielding such as how to stop beta and vitrification? because i didnt write that :confused:

I also did the first one in the table by multiplying by 1m, but the last 2 marker I left - I just couldn't work out the mass.

I did the other essay about controlling transport pollution as here you can talk about the obvious air pollution, water pollution and radiation pollution from leaks in transit and also noise pollution from aircraft etc.

I think you would have been expected to write about vitrification etc, but as long as you got 14 other scientific points in, you could be looking at 20 marks!
Reply 26
yakkus
I'm not sure how you'd get 5 marks worth of stuff about limiting damage to industrial workers though...

I think I put;
Exposure limits
Ear protection
Insulation for other areas in the building
New technology reducing friction and therefore noise
Shields around machinery to deflect sound
Reply 27
Genius12

I also did the first one in the table by multiplying by 1m, but the last 2 marker I left - I just couldn't work out the mass.

I think you would have been expected to write about vitrification etc, but as long as you got 14 other scientific points in, you could be looking at 20 marks!

yea i didnt couldnt think of vitrication on the others at the time, plus it didnt say disscuss the methods to reduce pollution. but i still think they would want us to write it as its a way of reducing pollution

for the mass i heared from someone that divide 1 over the value in the table, but dont know if its right :s-smilie:
Reply 28
Yeah, that's correct. You had to divide 1 by the ppm. I tested it on the other values in the table to check and they came out the same. I think that question was about reading the table carefully, especially the headings, and trying to figure out what they meant.

Latest