The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hundingsbane
No mention of computing on there, only ICT.

Well....there is no higher available in "ICT", so I assumed computing was its nearest equivalent (unless it's information systems)...I could be wrong...
kiwi-93
Well....there is no higher available in "ICT", so I assumed computing was its nearest equivalent (unless it's information systems)...I could be wrong...

Computing is nothing like ICT.

I don't know about Oxbridge but I know for a fact Computing is a legitimate Higher at Scottish Universities
Reply 42
Product design :biggrin: 50% folio work then 50% for exam, easy peasy.
Reply 43
my bad. not something that interests me to be honest.

i would imagine most highers are legitimate at Scottish Unis, other than the new vocational type highers like dance and hairdressing
Media Studies is a pretty 'skivey' subject, but apparently the theory is pretty difficult but very interesting if you'd like to get to know how to produce pieces of film.
Reply 45
Gaelic....
Reply 46
hellohellohellohello
pamelaa, were you expecting to get that A band 1 in history, after the exam?
it's pretty impressive really, and i'm just wondering what my chances are.
did you answer all the questions fully, what was your extended response lie?

Well i was actually talking about intermediate 2 i got that mark for but my teacher thinks i'll get an a for higher history this year...
And if you mean extended essay, last year i got 19/20.
Administration
Reply 48
im just curious, why OP are you assuming you will get your grades form appeals? Only 1 in 7 appeals actually comes out whit a change in the results. A language at higher is really easy to get an A in because you have to get at least 14/25 in the speaking as it is a NAB so if you fail it you can resit it. I did higher french this year (6th year) because i decided to do all 3 sciences in 5th year instead and without doing very much work since the NABs in november I am confident I got an A because you get a dictionary for the exam, so as long as you have confidence that you can do a language (and you must do to be doing 2 in 6th year) then you will be fine.
Reply 49
Best hope you haven't got a B band 4 then.
Reply 50
are you trying to get appeals for more than one subject? do you think you got B's in your exams?
Reply 51
If you've got a B band 4 you can't appeal to an A band 2, you could only appeal from a B band 3. Otherwise there's no point appealing from band 4 to band 3 because University's/Employers won't see this.

I don't think you can appeal twice in one subject, no.
Modern Studies is by far the easiest, and that is from a range of sources at my school.

However, I dont think for a medical course they will take it to seriously, especially against someone who had english/maths or any science subject.

You really need to get serious about highers and not think "what will be the biggest skive". IMO you dont deserve to get into medicine if you are concerned with taking the easiest route!
Reply 53
No, Modern Studies is actually a pretty good sub for Medicine. Lots of people i know who went on to study Med at my school took it as a higher. It has essay writing, analytical skills,and along with foreign languages, shows you're a good all rounder. Something increasingly looked for in Med applicants. If your only good at maths and sciences then they'll think-well, why didnt this applicant just apply for maths, chem etc...it takes more to be a doctor.
Reply 54
As someone who did five highers this year, and is predicted to get five As (and might just do so), I can honestly say that Modern Studies required me to do much more work than any other subject and, with the sole exception of English, had more people dropping to Int2 than any other subject. I have to say that if you found/are finfing Higher English fairly undemanding you will most likely not struggle with Higher Modern Studies, but without strong English skills you most likely will.
Reply 55
Kotetsu
As someone who did five highers this year, and is predicted to get five As (and might just do so), I can honestly say that Modern Studies required me to do much more work than any other subject and, with the sole exception of English, had more people dropping to Int2 than any other subject. I have to say that if you found/are finfing Higher English fairly undemanding you will most likely not struggle with Higher Modern Studies, but without strong English skills you most likely will.

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: Yep, you are exactly the same as me. We had double figures dropping out who weren't even close to handling the course. Although im meant to be getting 5 As, Modern has defo been the most demanding on time and concentration. Compared to that, higher Chem, maths, Biology, and yes, even English was a bit of a doddle.
0129Hippy
:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: Yep, you are exactly the same as me. We had double figures dropping out who weren't even close to handling the course. Although im meant to be getting 5 As, Modern has defo been the most demanding on time and concentration. Compared to that, higher Chem, maths, Biology, and yes, even English was a bit of a doddle.

Either the teaching has been terrible in Modern Studies, or the teaching has been great in teh others. People are regularly advised that modern studies is there only if there is nothing else, as it is "simple" and "alot of general knowledge" (Not my words, words of the Modern studies teacher!). Somebody in my year who is doing Int 1 english, is getting the prize in Modern Studies, so i dont know where the backup is for the english connection. If you are resonably infromed about todays soceity it will be a breeze.
Reply 57
mattbroon
Either the teaching has been terrible in Modern Studies, or the teaching has been great in teh others. People are regularly advised that modern studies is there only if there is nothing else, as it is "simple" and "alot of general knowledge" (Not my words, words of the Modern studies teacher!). Somebody in my year who is doing Int 1 english, is getting the prize in Modern Studies, so i dont know where the backup is for the english connection. If you are resonably infromed about todays soceity it will be a breeze.

Truth be told, we could argue about this until we're blue in the face. But the bottom line is that unless you have taken Higher Modern you lack experience and real, genuine insight, with whcih to comment and effectively judge with.
Reply 58
There is a course called cake decorating at our school, it's an int2
x

Latest

Trending

Trending