The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
also wondering this.
put addresses
make it up if need be
magic_fairy
In the English exams if it asks you to write a letter do you need to your/their address on it or can you just put dear sir/madam? What is necessary?

If I were you, I'd put the two addresses and the date etc., just so they've got it in case and you're showing you know how to set a letter out. Put it this way - if they didn't want the address, wouldn't they say "write the text for a letter..."? :smile:

If I remember rightly (they're always changing it :rolleyes:), it's your address on the right, their address on the left (but one line below yours?), and the date on the right. Under the greeting, it's left aligned - you don't indent, e.g. (ignoring the top part we've established we ARE going to include):

Dear Mr Smith,

I am writing to inform you that...

Hope this helps :wink:
We've been told to just write the text, and write "Dear Sir/Madam".
piece_by_piece
We've been told to just write the text, and write "Dear Sir/Madam".

We were told there are marks for correct layout etc..
Oh my. PANIC!
But why would they give marks for correct layout, when not all the questions are to "write a letter". Some questions are "write the text for a speech...", so if there are marks for layout then someone doing the speech question could get less marks as there is no set format for a speech.
Reply 7
well i don't think there's marks for layout if you're writing for a newspaper for god sake surely.
Reply 8
And how are you supposed to set out a leaflet? Also, I am very confused about how to do travel writing.

With a leaflet, I'm assuming you just do it like an article, but draw and annotate boxes for surveys and pictures/graphs more than you would for an article, making it less analytical and more gentle persuasion. With travel writing, if it's an 'alternate guide' do you write about your own experiences and if it's an idealised guide, you write about how good something is in a more formal format? We have NEVER covered this, and all I've got to go from is a small extract in the WJEC textbook that apparently 'doesn't show the layout'.

Edit: we did cover it, come to think about it - in November, year 10, and I didn't get it then :s-smilie: Silly me.
Reply 9
Tallon
well i don't think there's marks for layout if you're writing for a newspaper for god sake surely.

A newspaper isn't a letter. Letters, formal ones, need to show evidence of structure and good layout. So many pupils leave school, not knowing how to write a letter these days. It's something I was taught when I seven.

These kids will have quite a shock when it comes to applying for jobs.

Also remember - sincerely is informal, faithfully is formal.

It's never Sir and sincerely! :smile:
MangoTango
And how are you supposed to set out a leaflet? Also, I am very confused about how to do travel writing.

With a leaflet, I'm assuming you just do it like an article, but draw and annotate boxes for surveys and pictures/graphs more than you would for an article, making it less analytical and more gentle persuasion. With travel writing, if it's an 'alternate guide' do you write about your own experiences and if it's an idealised guide, you write about how good something is in a more formal format? We have NEVER covered this, and all I've got to go from is a small extract in the WJEC textbook that apparently 'doesn't show the layout'.

Edit: we did cover it, come to think about it - in November, year 10, and I didn't get it then :s-smilie: Silly me.

I don't do WJEC (AQA), but my understanding is that you shouldn't draw pictures, you should just put the boxes and write in them what the picture would be. I think you're probably right in your interpretation of "alternate" and "idealised", but I'll have a look on the WJEC site to check.

Which spec is it? :smile:
Reply 11
There's only one spec on www.wjec.co.uk. I've had a look and it doesn't say anywhere.
KnightRider
We were told there are marks for correct layout etc..

no marks lost for bad layout BUT marks gained / good impression for correct layout so worth doing. I mean it won't take long to stick into google and you won't be doing much other english revision (well, unlikely)...
Reply 13
hughey
no marks lost for bad layout BUT marks gained / good impression for correct layout so worth doing. I mean it won't take long to stick into google and you won't be doing much other english revision (well, unlikely)...

Not really the best way to go about things. There are lots of poor websites out there giving loads of crap advice.

Haven't your teachers taught you how to write letters, such as in primary school? Can't you ask a teacher now?
half tern
Reply 15
hughey
half tern

Not everywhere, for some it was last week, or the week before.

I'm just to go through twelve years of compulsory schooling and now knowing how to write a letter, it's shocking.

That isn't a criticism of any of you, just the crap education system of ours. I'm always been unhappy with the way English has been taught in this country. I'm just glad I went to a traditional primary school.
Reply 16
The only thing I got told doing my GCSEs in regards to letter writing was; when writing Dear Sir/Madam you must end with Yours faithfully, if writing to someone you know the name of e.g. Dear Mr Smith you must end it with Yours sincerely and if the question tells you to write a letter to a friend you may end it with Kind regards or Best wishes.

I had a letter question on my paper, didn't put an address or anything and I came out with an A :smile:
I always put two addresses to make it absolutely clear. I've memorised the address of The Daily Telegraph in case of 'write a letter to a newspaper...'

And I do use my real address. The examiner can look me up on google earth if s/he so wishes.
River85
Not everywhere, for some it was last week, or the week before.

I'm just to go through twelve years of compulsory schooling and now knowing how to write a letter, it's shocking.

That isn't a criticism of any of you, just the crap education system of ours. I'm always been unhappy with the way English has been taught in this country. I'm just glad I went to a traditional primary school.

I know how to write a letter as i have had to write what seems like a billion to get my work experience this summer
dear sir / madam = yours faithfully
dear x = yours sincerely
AnythingButChardonnay
I always put two addresses to make it absolutely clear. I've memorised the address of The Daily Telegraph in case of 'write a letter to a newspaper...'

p.s. it doesn't matter if you use a made up address for the daily telegraph...

Latest