The Student Room Group

AQA English Language GCSE Paper 1

Usually, the first question on the paper is always about the key points of an article or something similar, and i never do very well, i always get about 2-4/6 even though I am an A* student. I summarise the key points and put in quotations, but I don't know what else I can do.
How do you get the top marks for this question? What else can you include?
Thanks!
Reply 1
I'd be very grateful if someone could give me a few tips :smile:
When you're reading the article underline the key points. That way you don't have to use quotes and all that, just get writing the key points. There's not much to it really, you just have to follow the text.
Reply 3
Thanks! the advice is very helpful. Also, does anyone have any tips for the questions on facts and opinions?
Opinions can more often than not, be covered up as facts. So for example, "It is true that girls are better than boys". The words "It is true" implies that it is a fact, but in reality it's simply the writer's opinion. Facts are often substantiated by evidence, for example statistics, and opinions can be used to strengthen an argument.
Reply 5
piece_by_piece
Opinions can more often than not, be covered up as facts. So for example, "It is true that girls are better than boys". The words "It is true" implies that it is a fact, but in reality it's simply the writer's opinion. Facts are often substantiated by evidence, for example statistics, and opinions can be used to strengthen an argument.

But then what evidence is there to suggest that it is an opinion?
Samiii!
But then what evidence is there to suggest that it is an opinion?

The fact that it's not backed up by a fact or statistic to back up his claim. By the way, this thread is a year old.
i think that you may have to 'shape and absorb' the quotes which basically means put it in your own words. that is what my teacher told me
Reply 8
In the first few minutes, try and absort what it's talking about then maybe spend minute or 2 on hilighting then answer :smile: plan yourself. Dont dive in. If you don't plan, you're going to get muddled up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending