The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends what you mean by doing?! It doesn't spring to mind but I'm a club person rather than a societies person. Try doing a facebook search and see what you get.

I know that there's a Fiat Punto Owners Group as they stuck a flyer on my friend's last year.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
well an example of a uni that has a motoring club (forgot which)
has a their own car that they run and maintain while participating in races such as stage rallies and road rallies.

Thats the sort of thing i was looking for
Reply 3
Lancaster doesn't have one of those I'm afraid. Or if it does they keep it well hidden. You can start new societies if you can get together something like 20 memebers.. but I'm not sure..
Reply 4
Well considering you can't park a car on campus without it being clamped not sure they'd love a motoring club!
Reply 5
zooeyj
Well considering you can't park a car on campus without it being clamped not sure they'd love a motoring club!

Haha, you would all have to get the bus to meetings!
Reply 6
if it had no wheels then they couldn't clamp it!!

they've gone a bit quiet on the clamping front..
Reply 7
Haha and then did you get the email about not parking around the uni? LOLZ! they shouldnt be so stingy with the parking permits imo...you can make a motoring society if your really interested, its not amazingly hard if you get some interest in it, the person who lives opposite me has started an engineering society so as long as you do it by the book its all gravy...i want to start a fuzzball society/club...
Reply 8
Pacibald
Haha and then did you get the email about not parking around the uni? LOLZ! they shouldnt be so stingy with the parking permits imo...you can make a motoring society if your really interested, its not amazingly hard if you get some interest in it, the person who lives opposite me has started an engineering society so as long as you do it by the book its all gravy...i want to start a fuzzball society/club...

The reason they're so stingy about it is because there's only limited spaces.

All you'd need is 20 signatures and purple card numbers from people interested in it, then take it to LUSU.
Reply 9
What what what? clamped for parking on campus? I haven't had my car as a garaged project for over a year just to sell it when I go to uni.

Sorry for thread hijack btw.

Oh and a motoring club sounds like a fantastic idea jmelech
There was a motoring club at the start of last year... I saw posters for it and wanted to join but couldnt find them at freshers fair :frown: The poster said the club had its own V8 car you could fettle with aswell.

RE the parking, they do sem to have gone quiet about it now, on south west anyway. Ive bought my car up and parked it there to enjoy for last half of summer term and had no tickets yet. (blue mk.2 MR2 GT for anyone interested:P )

Incase i do get any how many can you have before getting clamped? Heard different things from people.
Reply 11
Apparnetly security were on a training week last week but are going to be stepping it up again next week..
Reply 12
you get 2 tickets then the 3rd is a clamp which is £60 to get off.
And i realise that theres limited spaces, yet they are clamping people when there are still plenty of spaces which i can see, they also wouldnt give my mate a permit so he could drive home and care for his mum whos ill at the weekend.
Im gonna try and bring my motor up next year, thats if i get a new one soon...
The police towed away loads of cars on the road outside cartmel today! I saw atleast 2 lorries each with 2 cars on.
Reply 14
floss
Apparnetly security were on a training week last week but are going to be stepping it up again next week..

I watched them learning how to attatch wheel clamps outside the conference centre. Loads of security guards, one instructor, and they all got a go each at putting them on and taking them off.

So beware...they're out to get us! (Which is bad news for me, cos my car's coming up this week!)
Reply 15
-- Dan
I watched them learning how to attatch wheel clamps outside the conference centre. Loads of security guards, one instructor, and they all got a go each at putting them on and taking them off.

So beware...they're out to get us! (Which is bad news for me, cos my car's coming up this week!)

looks like somebody's going to be buying day tickets or a £30/40 fine!!
Reply 16
Nope...
Reply 17
I don't think it's been mentioned yet: the Uni has just recruited more security officers specifically to crack down on parking, and the police have become involved in preventing people parking on nearby roads.

Bottom line: if you can prove need and obtain a permit (Student Support can help genuine cases) you shouldn't have a problem, but living on campus doesn't carry any right to park a car just because you want one! As the Uni website flatly states:
Students are not normally allowed car parking permits to park on campus.

People have got away with it in recent years, but it's a near-certainty that things'll be very different next term.
Reply 18
You can get away with parking on nearby roads further towards town as long as your not parked illegally or causing an obstruction in any way.

But yeah, the uni are very strict when it comes to parking.

Latest

Trending

Trending