Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is Islam

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There seem to be many misconceptions. I thought I would try to clarify some points here.

1) Islam is a peaceful religion. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. I am muslim after all, and have a better perception of Islam then outsiders. It is the duty of muslims to work towards leaving in harmony with all of mankind. In fact when a true muslim looks at another human, whoever that may be, they see not the created but the creator, i.e. God. Being hostile to this human would be equivalent to showing hostility towards God.

2) Feminism is a western concept and myths that Islam has a view of feminine inferiority are just that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, here is a link to an authenic islamic tafsir, so see for yourself.

http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=47&tid=49201

http://www.tafsir.com/default.asp?sid=8&tid=20537

A couple of links where peaceful islam is discussed in detail.

http://www.iidb.org/vbb/showthread.p...5&page=4&pp=25

http://www.libertyunites.tv/ftopict-...76be5ecfa9cb4e

By the way, are you aware that muhammad had 100 battles within 8 years from 2nd hijrah till 10th hijrah when he died? That works out more than a battle per month, such peaceful was spreading of islam. So I wonder when was islam peaceful? Muslims were fighting in the beginning and they still continue fighting so where is peace I mean islam?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Back, by popular demand...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    NOOOOO!!!

Not another pointless thread on why Islam is so really great and we should all convert. Just keep it to yourself and don't begin stirring things up.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S@sha)
    NOOOOO!!!

Not another pointless thread on why Islam is so really great and we should all convert. Just keep it to yourself and don't begin stirring things up.
    Hear hear.............or is it here here :confused: :tsr:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    a disease
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    a disease
    Oh dear, someone seems to have a hatred of it...... :tsr: :tsr:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    no **** sherlock...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nik P)
    no **** sherlock...
    I wasn't questioning whether you had a hatred of it or not, I was making a statement. Why do you hate it so much?? (not muslim btw)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    there are soo many threads on islam ultimately causing so many arguements within the forums.
    i can see why people want to stick up for their religion, as i am sure there are a few anti-muslim people on here that express views unecessarily, however, i really dont think there is much more you can debate about without repeating another debate and arising the same issues about peace and womens rights..
    dont get me wrong (im not a muslim) and i respect islam like i respect any other religion, but i do not see the necessity of posting numerous threads on the same topic...

d will have to make a sub-forum soon.. :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 786)
    There seem to be many misconceptions. I thought I would try to clarify some points here.

1) Islam is a peaceful religion. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. I am muslim after all, and have a better perception of Islam then outsiders. It is the duty of muslims to work towards leaving in harmony with all of mankind. In fact when a true muslim looks at another human, whoever that may be, they see not the created but the creator, i.e. God. Being hostile to this human would be equivalent to showing hostility towards God.

2) Feminism is a western concept and myths that Islam has a view of feminine inferiority are just that.
    The Qu'ran:

O Prophet! urge the believers to war; if there are twenty patient ones of you they shall overcome two hundred, and if there are a hundred of you they shall overcome a thousand of those who disbelieve, because they are a people who do not understand.

What was that about it being a peaceful religion?
    I'm getting tired of this.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S@sha)
    NOOOOO!!!

Indeed. These threads make me sigh.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Islam is fooling people in the same way as other religions fool other people. The fact of the matter is, that despite all protestations, bin Laden and Co. are doing what they do because they believe in Islam. Yes it might be a bastardised form of Islam, but if the religion did not exist, then there would not be these problems (or at worst they'd be to a lesser extent).

To the original poster, you may follow Islam etc etc in our society. Christians who wish to practice their religion in some Islamic countries may not have this freedom. However, I think I speak for most people when I say that we do not care. In my mind religion is one of the worst diseases suffered by humanity and Islam is one of the worst strains of this disease. You might love it, we don't.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    actually i dont agree that religions have a bad impact. see the stats if you see the crime rate of religious countries like ISRAEL and Saudia Arabia they have the least crime rates compare to other countries like south africa. so you cannot say that religion is the worst diseas suffered by humanity
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, although I totally don't believe in any of it, religion does bring out the good in some people even through scare tactics such as heaven and hell.

That's because it was made by humans, and for humans. You don't see animals worshipping things or skipping on a meal when it's running past them because it would be immoral, they can't affort to be like that. How often do you see a lion chase a whatever-about-to-die and then realise he will go to hell for it and stop?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedant)
    actually i dont agree that religions have a bad impact. see the stats if you see the crime rate of religious countries like ISRAEL and Saudia Arabia they have the least crime rates compare to other countries like south africa. so you cannot say that religion is the worst diseas suffered by humanity
    Is that perhaps because stealing an apple is punishable by having one's hand cut off? Just a thought...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Please, this is a thread in which I shall discuss the true nature, in my opinion, of Islam. If you do not have anything to contribute or do not like this subject topic then you should leave.

Mik1a, the quote from the glorious Quran you keep reiterating. What is your point regarding it? It is addressed directly to the prophet. At the time the few muslims were under severe oppression, and it was not in their gentle nature to fight back. This quote is just a reassurance from God that they are on the right path although they were heavily oppossed.

Islam is about submission to God alone. Heaven and hell, these are fleeting created things. If one was to do good deeds in the hope of ascertaining heaven, these good deeds would be registered as done for ones self, i.e. selfish deeds. Not for God's sake. People, in general do not recognise this fact and think believers in God do so only out of hope of good life after death. If God was to punish a believers good deeds with hell, then the believer should be ready to accept this without regret, for it would be the will of God.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedant)
    South Africa is a very religious country.
    Religion gives people the excuse to commit what would otherwise be crimes for religious reasons. If you like to beat people up, in England you become a football hooligan and have problems with the police. In Saudi Arabia or Pakistan or Iran you join the religious police and are a Socially useful member of society. Well, that's their excuse.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    No, although I totally don't believe in any of it, religion does bring out the good in some people even through scare tactics such as heaven and hell.

That's because it was made by humans, and for humans. You don't see animals worshipping things or skipping on a meal when it's running past them because it would be immoral, they can't affort to be like that. How often do you see a lion chase a whatever-about-to-die and then realise he will go to hell for it and stop?
    When did you last see a lion torture another lion to death for using wicked and irreligious hunting techniques?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 786)
    Please, this is a thread in which I shall discuss the true nature, in my opinion, of Islam.
    If it is true- immediately and logically apparent to any unbiased observer- then it is irrelevant whether it is your opinion.
    It is a strange kind of peacefulness that.as Mughal said, fights a hundred battles in eight years. If people will be rewarded or punished by whether they do good things from love of god, not from hope of heaven or fear of hell, why mention heaven or hell at all? If people behave well for no reason except that they think it better to behave well than not to, what then? As you say, a muslim should submit to the will of god, even- especially- when god behaves like a psychopath, just as a muslim's wife should submit to her husband, even...
    If we do not accept a human behaving in a particular way because that behaviour is obviously cruel and wicked, then why should we accept an allegedly superior being doing so? Muslims are slaves of god. There were two arguments, among the many others, used to justify the abolition of slavery. Slavery is bad for a slave's character and worse for a slave-owner's. The behaviour of many muslims and the qualities they attribute to god confirm both of these arguments. Perhaps we should abolish slavery to other beings as well as to other humans.
Updated: November 2, 2004
New on TSR

Get ready for SQA results day

Share your grade expectations for Tuesday 5 August

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.