The Student Room Group
You can tell the direction of a river by looking at the contours i think, rivers moving from high ground to low ground. That should give you the gist. Beyond that I'm not sure really, I've given up on geography :p: .
Reply 2
I just think the OS bit at the beginning is evil! I can do it, but I never feel I've done it right afterwards because mapwork is just something that from Year 7 I could not do naturally, beyond memorising symbols.
rivers NEVER flow uphill

roads normally go both ways (and if you do get a one way street on a road atlas there is an arrow pointing in the direction of travel - i don't know if this is the same with os, but they are not going to ask you a question about one way streets - if they do, it will be in the key)
Reply 4
hughey
rivers NEVER flow uphill

At some point a river somewhere will have to travel up hill. I do A-Level geography and with reference to the earth as a sphere, and the plot of all rivers, some rivers in theory go up hill.

Just like a plane does not fly out of the atmosphere.
Reply 5
Thanks guys! I think I'll work on the 'don't go uphill' principle :biggrin:
Terryw
At some point a river somewhere will have to travel up hill. I do A-Level geography and with reference to the earth as a sphere, and the plot of all rivers, some rivers in theory go up hill.

Just like a plane does not fly out of the atmosphere.

ok but across a map, if the river crosses quite a few contours, you can assume that it is flowing downhill?? it is gcse, so it is very unlikely that they would ask "in which direction is river x flowing?" when it is flowing uphill.

On a completely different note Terryw, how are you finding A-level geog? I think i will do it next year but was speaking to some upper sixth formers who loved it at gcse but hate it at a-level because (they said) it is "tedious" and you have to learn loads of "pointless things". I would be grateful for your opinion.
Reply 7
hughey

On a completely different note Terryw, how are you finding A-level geog? I think i will do it next year but was speaking to some upper sixth formers who loved it at gcse but hate it at a-level because (they said) it is "tedious" and you have to learn loads of "pointless things". I would be grateful for your opinion.

Er...A-Level geography is much harder than GCSE obv, AS is good, all easy stuff, just like going over all the GCSE stuff. But then the second year is much harder and your friends are right it is tedious. From Volcanoes to AIDs or even burglary is things that you can cover in the syllabus. But if you like it like i do, its OK, and you deal with it.

Also my coursework was on soils :frown: that pretty crap, but thats getting took of the course next year.

I prefer physical geography and A-Level has too much human geography. If i had the choice to go back and pick again, i would still pick geography though. If you enjoy it, pick it.
ok thanks terryw
Reply 9
Thanks for the neutral neg whom ever it was

Latest