The Student Room Group

(a) Explain the main characteristics of moral relativism. [33]

Guys, how would you approach this? Would you give some general comments before using a learned relativist ethical theory as an example, a la:

"Moral relativism is a subjective approach to normative ethics, where the 'right' action is weighed up within the context of the ethical problem; it is in contrast to absolutism. In this essay I will use Joseph Fletcher's Situationism as an example.", an introduction I just wrote.
Reply 1
That's a fine introduction, only it isn't in context to an 'ethical problem', its in the context of the 'relevant moral framework'.

Also make sure that later on in the essay you say exactly what you mean by 'subjective' to ensure that it isn't misinterpreted. :smile:
Reply 2
This may be a good idea actually lol...create some topics and we'll all throw our two cents worth in!

My 2 cents on this:

> Examples Utilitarianism & Sit Ethics
> Morals depend on situation, time & possibly culture
> Example of slavery - was seen as right throughout history until recently
> They are usually (always?) teleological, or at least primarily so
> How much of X is produced (agape, happiness, beneficial outcome, pleasure)

Not a question I'd pick tbh...my idea would be to list the general elements, and then show how it is applied in sit ethics, and then in utilitarianism.
i.e.

"Relativist theories have X feature. In Sit. Ethics, this is shown in Y, and in Utilitarianism it does Z"
Reply 3
How has utilitarianism got anything to do with relativism?

Ekp - I'll send you my relativism essay, its way more advanced than you need but it'll probably be useful.
I'd wikipdia it, but that's just me. (Yeah I know I'm horrible, but it does give some good summaries.)
Reply 5
I don't trust wikipedia for academic stuff. For philosophy go onto te stanford encyclopaeida. Its online and free and very good!
Reply 6
Nina
I'll send you my relativism essay, its way more advanced than you need but it'll probably be useful.

I would love to read it.
jgupta
"Relativist theories have X feature. In Sit. Ethics, this is shown in Y, and in Utilitarianism it does Z"

Nina
How has utilitarianism got anything to do with relativism?

I think you've confused the teleological roots of utilitarianism with relativism, J. As said previously, relativistic theories tend to be teleological, but not necessarily the other way round.

Latest

Trending

Trending