The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
jamierwilliams
in terms of choirs, i think that st. johns and clare have the edge

i would love st.johns but people seem to think so lowly of it (i dont know whether it is jealousy or not)

It's not jealousy - I genuinely don't want to go there, though I'm sure I wouldn't mind it if I were actually there. It's just the general perception, I'm sure that most of the students there actually like it. As long as you don't act like the stereotype, everyone else will like you too.

Baz - you should also remember that none of the current college buildings are the original ones, nor do they resemble each other, so (though I haven't actually seen Merton) I'm not sure to what extent they're "based" on it.
Reply 21
jamierwilliams
i would love st.johns but people seem to think so lowly of it (i dont know whether it is jealousy or not)

It seems a bit silly to be put off applying somewhere you'd like to go just because of some vague notion that it's not well regarded. In any case, I don't think Cambridge students in general think lowly of John's. If that's the impression you have from this message board then it's hardly representative.
Reply 22
Helenia
Baz - you should also remember that none of the current college buildings are the original ones, nor do they resemble each other, so (though I haven't actually seen Merton) I'm not sure to what extent they're "based" on it.

The very essence of every Oxbridge college is based on Merton: simply put, the quadrangle. Merton was the first college to have a quadrangle/s along with gardens and small open spaces. New and the rest followed suit at Oxford and then Cambridge decided they liked the quadrangle to and starting building them. However, to try to make it appear as if they weren't copying Oxford, they decided to call their quads "courts" :tongue: :tongue: .....
Reply 23
d750
It seems a bit silly to be put off applying somewhere you'd like to go just because of some vague notion that it's not well regarded. In any case, I don't think Cambridge students in general think lowly of John's. If that's the impression you have from this message board then it's hardly representative.

very true. so far (ie since i arrived here a month ago) everyone i have spoken to outside of john's has been very impressed with john's and i haven't heard a single negative thing said about it (mind you, this is not to say that it is perfect). generally speaking, all three seem to be very nice colleges, and you'll probably be happy wherever you end up.
I think John's is one of the nicest colleges (except for the green paintwork).
Reply 25
tommyboy
very true. so far (ie since i arrived here a month ago) everyone i have spoken to outside of john's has been very impressed with john's and i haven't heard a single negative thing said about it (mind you, this is not to say that it is perfect). generally speaking, all three seem to be very nice colleges, and you'll probably be happy wherever you end up.

I don't mean to alarm you, but my experience is merciless bitching and mocking whenever johns people aren't around, then sudden reasonableness and civility when they are. So I can only conclude the the hating is not serious, but a favourite pasttime for many.
Reply 26
I've been told on numerous occassions that the colleges are more alike then they are different. More importantly I was told that no matter which college you apply to you will think its the best college ever after a couple of weeks.

I applied to Trinity because of its size. Large college = lots of people to meet and so its more likely you will find people with the same interests as you no matter how obscure. Also, it has a good reputation and it is a very rich college which in theory should mean cheaper accommodation etc.
JaF
I've been told on numerous occassions that the colleges are more alike then they are different. More importantly I was told that no matter which college you apply to you will think its the best college ever after a couple of weeks.

How true - you should have seen it at Queens Ergs!

I applied to Trinity because of its size. Large college = lots of people to meet and so its more likely you will find people with the same interests as you no matter how obscure. Also, it has a good reputation and it is a very rich college which in theory should mean cheaper accommodation etc.

Maybe not cheaper accomodation, but bigger rooms for a decent price.
I went to Clare and really enjoyed it, but I think John's is probably just as friendly and with it being more spacious, richer and having more students I think I would go there if I had my time again.
Reply 29
I think that I will be applying to Trinity first choice, then Clare, then St. John's (i will be applying for a choral award)

Latest

Trending

Trending