The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You dont need the certifcate...

wouldnt harm you though...
Reply 21
Roobagnall
You dont need the certifcate...

wouldnt harm you though...

Yeh what i think i'm going to do is do my grade 7 in nov time as it shows that i am working towards grade 8 and try and get up to grade 8 standard by the time i do go to uni but i doubt i'll take the exam.
one of my friends had an offer that specified she passed a certain grade exam, alongside getting her a levels.
rdu11
Yeh what i think i'm going to do is do my grade 7 in nov time as it shows that i am working towards grade 8 and try and get up to grade 8 standard by the time i do go to uni but i doubt i'll take the exam.

Way off topic. But where you thinking of applying to??
Reply 24
Roobagnall
Way off topic. But where you thinking of applying to??

Royal Holloway, Sheffield, Durham, Edinburgh (maybe), Birmingham, Newcastle, Bangor.. obviously not all of them but probably five of them.
rdu11
Royal Holloway, Sheffield, Durham, Edinburgh (maybe), Birmingham, Newcastle, Bangor.. obviously not all of them but probably five of them.

Snap, if you go on any open days, do tell me what the departments are like!
Reply 26
Roobagnall
Snap, if you go on any open days, do tell me what the departments are like!

ohh i've been to most of them!
Royal Holloway - small department and its hiden away on the other side of the raod to the main campus which is kinda nice. But I'm going back to see it in sept as i went in the march open day and the woman doing the talk was a reasearcher and didn't really know much about the course.. which was not that helpful!

Sheffield - i really liked it there. At the moment the music dep is 15 mins walk from the main campus but in year we're apllying they are moving it to a new building right in the centre of campus which much more practice rooms and sound studio things!

Bangor - was a really friendly place. probably not my first choice though. Again its quite a small department and the tutors/teachers seemed really friendly and they know all the students well.

Durham - the place is pretty bizare - lots of corridors but a small department. I'm not really sure what it is actully like as when i went i had the secretey take us round, didn't really help.

Birmingham - about 60 in a year. Didn't actully see any of the facilties but i really liked it. Mainly becasue the course is what i really want. Theres also the link with the conservatiore and the barber institute which has a really good music library. But the person doing the presentation seemed really enthusiastic!

Newcaslte - Before i went i quite liked the course but i was disappointed with the uni didn't feel friendly compared to other city uni's like sheffield. the departments in quite an old building so lectures are in rooms with high ceilings/victorian? design but they are big. But i wouldn't take my word for newcaslte as something didn't quite click with me.

Edinburgh - went there yesterday. I really liked it. A really small departemnt - 30 a year. And the facilites are pretty normal, quite alot of practice rooms, teaching rooms were of a good size. There are also alot of music groups to join there which is great!

Thats my opinion of the places really but i think seeing them really does change your mind about a place.

Are you going to any open days?
rdu11
ohh i've been to most of them!
Royal Holloway - small department and its hiden away on the other side of the raod to the main campus which is kinda nice. But I'm going back to see it in sept as i went in the march open day and the woman doing the talk was a reasearcher and didn't really know much about the course.. which was not that helpful!

Sheffield - i really liked it there. At the moment the music dep is 15 mins walk from the main campus but in year we're apllying they are moving it to a new building right in the centre of campus which much more practice rooms and sound studio things!

Bangor - was a really friendly place. probably not my first choice though. Again its quite a small department and the tutors/teachers seemed really friendly and they know all the students well.

Durham - the place is pretty bizare - lots of corridors but a small department. I'm not really sure what it is actully like as when i went i had the secretey take us round, didn't really help.

Birmingham - about 60 in a year. Didn't actully see any of the facilties but i really liked it. Mainly becasue the course is what i really want. Theres also the link with the conservatiore and the barber institute which has a really good music library. But the person doing the presentation seemed really enthusiastic!

Newcaslte - Before i went i quite liked the course but i was disappointed with the uni didn't feel friendly compared to other city uni's like sheffield. the departments in quite an old building so lectures are in rooms with high ceilings/victorian? design but they are big. But i wouldn't take my word for newcaslte as something didn't quite click with me.

Edinburgh - went there yesterday. I really liked it. A really small departemnt - 30 a year. And the facilites are pretty normal, quite alot of practice rooms, teaching rooms were of a good size. There are also alot of music groups to join there which is great!

Thats my opinion of the places really but i think seeing them really does change your mind about a place.

Are you going to any open days?

Yeah, that happened with my insurance uni, though by that time it was too late as I'd already put it as my insurance! :s-smilie:

Seeing a place for yourself is very important, because different people like different environments :smile:
Reply 28
I have just graduated from Bangor and it was great :smile:.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Yeah, that happened with my insurance uni, though by that time it was too late as I'd already put it as my insurance! :s-smilie:

Seeing a place for yourself is very important, because different people like different environments :smile:

Im actualy going to see most of those over the next year.

Not sure about Birmingham though because its literaly 20 minutes from where i live so im not to keen on that...
Reply 30
Roobagnall
Im actualy going to see most of those over the next year.

Not sure about Birmingham though because its literaly 20 minutes from where i live so im not to keen on that...

Same. I really don't want to go to B'ham because of that but i really really like the course which is so annoying and you can get two free instrumental lessons in the first year onwards if doing performance. The campus isn't that bad either.. grrrr
:rolleyes:

Latest