The Student Room Group
Reply 1
If i was a doctor and knew that I had made a difference to someone's life.. i wouldn't really give a **** what the media said to be honest. I can't imagine why someone wouldn't want to be a doctor actually..
Reply 2
I agree, the media doesn't make a difference, being a doctor is about helping people and if you enjoy medicine then its a good respected career path to take!
Reply 3
So you can charge people when they want you to sign their passports/provisional lisence and make a sweeeeet bit of money. OBVIOUSLY. Aherrmm :biggrin:
Reply 4
The media chat out of their arses 24/7. I have the utmost respect for doctors. I mean they save lives. All the media do is ruin them. If i was you id stop listening to them as all they do is focus on 1 side of a story and go for the kill lol
Rei
If i was a doctor and knew that I had made a difference to someone's life.. i wouldn't really give a **** what the media said to be honest. I can't imagine why someone wouldn't want to be a doctor actually..

I would never ever want to be a doctor. The reason is that I know a lot of doctors and have seen first hand how stressful/crap a lifestyle it can be.
who do we go to when were ill??
if we have a broken arm where do we go??
Doctors, GP's etc take care of us and they do it because they like helping people and want to make a difference (some people do it for the money or because their parents make them to)

I dont want to become a doctor though but they save lives and if they make a mistake all we do is criticise!! is that right?
its alot of work though lol
Reply 7
Ah the News of the World...the font of all wisdom....

:rolleyes:
I'm not sure either...it looks so stressful, and with the NHS being what it is..
i have alot of repect for anybody in the medical profession, i have friends who want to be doctors because they can change the peoples life. i asked my friend a while back why she wanted to be a doctor and she replied with if i can make a difference to one person by being a doctor then its worth it. Although i do feel sorry for them about the hours they work, the stress thats on them and the abuse that some relatives and paitents give the staff in hospitals.

ps i would love to see the woman, in the link that the OPs given, work in a hospital as a doctor or a nurse
Reply 10
i applied for medicine this year to 4 top universities and didnt get in, after seein all the threads on investment bankin im thinkin about goin into that if my results let me, might do a gap year this year n then apply next year for a degree which will get me into that. ive done around 70 hours work experience at a local hospital n ive seen how stressful it can be. i'dv loved to do medicine but i think it requires a lottttt of hard work, workin 24/7 n i jus dont think thats for me. sayin that, goin into investment bankin would still be difficult.

- A near guaranteed six figure salary within a few years
- choice of young, vulnerable, nubile nurses to manipulate and have your way with
- branch off to consultancy, manager etc. - be absolutely crap at your job and still get a golden parachute, huge salary, pension.

I'd happily accept what the media have to throw at me for all that.
Beats me.
Dr_John_Crippen
There is a thread at the moment about changing from medicine to investment banking...

Doctors in general, and GPs in particular, are subjected to constant abuse in the media. Take a look at this from today's News of the World.

It's rabid nonsense, of course. But it is beleived by News of the Screws readers and it gets you down, particularly when it affects your children.

Investment banking may be a better choice.

Dr John Crippen

Because the majority of us have wanted to be doctors for a long time, are aware of all the ****e that they go through with the general public and NHS but still want to regardless! Crazy, I know! I still think the job satisfaction and 'helping people' thing is a major attraction to most people.

EDIT: And, personally, I would find investment banking bloody boring.
Reply 14
Pays well.
apart from the satisfaction of saving lives, i would say that some go into medicine for the social status and, in general, respect you get. someone who's in banking or another job that seems to be for the hedonists of this world won't get anywhere near the respect that doctors get.
Reply 16
i would hate to be an investment banker. all day infront of a computer, all you do is buy and sell, to achieve what? make your boss/shareholders a little more money.

i'd rather take the abuse, long hours and stress and do something worthwhile.
To pull nurses

Thud
Pays well.

Not immediately.
Reply 18
A Stranger in Moscow
Some tit sued the NHS for malpractising doctors because their kid died because the doctor didn't notice the symptoms of meningitis. As far as I know, meningitis looks pretty similar to many other infections/viruses. So...not really a bit deal, you'd think. You'd be pissed, upset, angry, of course. But...when it got really bad you'd phone for an ambulance?! Right?!

She didn't phone for one, on the doctor's advice. So equal blame?! She won somewhere in the region of a million punds. I think she might have sued the dotor but the doctor, funnily enough, didn't actually have this much money, so they took it out of the NHS.

Hmm. So, £1,000,000 is going to bring your daughter back?! No. It's going to save thousands of other people's daughters?! Yes. I hate that people complain about how '****' the NHS is, when it's a bloody brilliant system we're lucky to have, AND people do silly stupid ****ty things like that.

couldnt have put it better myself. the nhs is a great system but its always being put down by the media or some other ungrateful person. i think no1 really does appreciate how good doctors are until somethin happens to them n their knockin on the hospitals door.

Latest

Trending

Trending