The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Another Question:
With the help of an equation give two reasons chlorine is added to swimming pools.

And for mod 3:
Ethene can be made into two different saturated hydrocarbons, what are they and what are the methods used.
Reply 21
Dadeyemi
Another Question:
With the help of an equation give two reasons chlorine is added to swimming pools.

And for mod 3:
Ethene can be made into two different saturated hydrocarbons, what are they and what are the methods used.

1 - Cl2 + H20 = 2H+ + Cl - + ClO-
to kill bacteria.....
2- Hydrogenation - ethane...cant think of the other! :biggrin:
Dadeyemi
Another Question:

Bah, i can't do this. Is it:

Cl2 + H2O -> HCL + HOCL

Added to pools to disinfect and i can't think of a second reason :s-smilie:
memenme_1

2- Hydrogenation - ethane...cant think of the other! :biggrin:

Not doing Module 3 but it's got to be epoxyethane after reacting with O2 and a silver catalyst? I'm never sure about any of my answers lol
Reply 24
Irrelevance
Not doing Module 3 but it's got to be epoxyethane after reacting with O2 and a silver catalyst? I'm never sure about any of my answers lol

epoxy ethane is not a hydrocarbon it has oxygen

Here's a clue it is a solid
Reply 25
A module 1 term:

Define electronegtivity? :smile:
Reply 26
Dadeyemi
epoxy ethane is not a hydrocarbon it has oxygen

Here's a clue it is a solid

Is it to do with cracking?
Polyethene?

I've forgotten some of module 3 but thankfully not resitting
Reply 27
RHCPfan
A module 1 term:

electronegatitvy is the power of an atom to withdraw covalent density from a covalent bond
it's electron density, not covalent density mate
Reply 29
^
Yeah it is
Reply 30
anyone know whether we need to know about finding the amount of chlorine in cleach?
Reply 31
RHCPfan
A module 1 term:

I've already done mod 1 but whatever.

Spoiler

Reply 32
dealer91
anyone know whether we need to know about finding the amount of chlorine in cleach?

I think you do.
Dadeyemi
Another Question:

And for mod 3:

i think its Cl2 + H20 = HCl + HOCl, it asks for the equation...not ionic equation.

ethane = hydration. phosphoric acid catalyst. 300 degrees c.
poly(ethane) = catalytic/thermal cracking. i'm guessing for poly(ethane).
Reply 34
im retaking mod 2 to try and get full UMS, if you want good revision, take the 2001- 2004 papers, they are 1 and a half hours long, and basically cover everything on the module in the paper rather then jus some parts like recent papers do. Question, whats the reagent used to determine the endpoint in the titration to determine the amount of bleach in a substance. What is the oxidation state of M in the ionic compound MQ, why do you remove Sulpher forn the Blast furnace first, and write an equation for the reaction between Sodium Fluoride and c.H2s04. What type of reaction is this?

Il tell you if your write or wrong.

source for ealier papers: http://www.freeexampapers.com/A%20Level/Chemistry/AQA/
Reply 35
RHCPfan
Is it to do with cracking?
Polyethene?

I've forgotten some of module 3 but thankfully not resitting

:party:
Poly ethene is right!

but its polymerisation
Reply 36
why do you remove Sulpher forn the Blast furnace first

u remove S from the blast furnace fisrt to stop it forming sulphur dioxide which leads to acid rain if it reacts with more oxygen
Reply 37
right, what expensive metal is used to remove the Sulpher?
Reply 38
Tiger_S
right, what expensive metal is used to remove the Sulpher?

Magnesium
motiv3
All 3 in one sitting and day after biology...way to fail AQA...way to fail!

um btw its not AQA that made it that they try to make all exam boards on the same day.. OCR chem and bio are weds and tues too... 2 of my firends have ALL their exams this weeek (except C1/C2 and general they hardly take effort)

Latest