The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Oh ok!

Do Universities look at your AS grades though? I was lead to believe they didn't but I'm not really sure!

If they don't it's probably easier to do extra-curricular activities instead!
Reply 21
Just to say, 3 A levels did me fine so I wouldn't worry about doing more than that. And also for English or Philosophy at a competitive university I recommend a language rather than PE, but again it's only to AS so it doesn't matter all than much as long as you're doing 3 respected subjects
Reply 22
Blazor
That's what the school has suggested, not with Portuguese but just another AS in general!

But will 3 full A levels and 2 AS look as good as 4 A levels?

Not really but then it doesn't need to. You will not be put at a massive disadvantage except maybe in applying to Oxbridge where, yes, many people with have four A-levels.

But for the two courses you thinking of doing (english and philosophy) there's arguably little to choose between Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Durham etc. Especially in English. In fact Durham and UCL occupy first and second in the Times ranking for English. I know a good number of people who've got into both at Durham with only AAAa-AABb.

If you feel you can handle the workload of four then go for it, especially if you want to go to Oxbridge. However it generally isn't necessary and won't put you at any real disadvantage.

(Heck, I got into philosophy at Durham without an extra AS at all. Although this was six years ago).

As for doing PE AS level, well, it's not ideal. However, do most universities really care about the fourth AS-level (the subject and grade) so long as it's there. I know Oxbridge do generally, Warwick probably do. But generally speaking I don't think it would. If it's what you want to do, if you have an interest in it and think you'll get a good grade, go for it.
Reply 23
All the Durham information really is helpful!

Since I visited Durham about a year ago I've envied those who get to study there! I'm going to discuss my options with teachers tomorrow so I've got a second opinion!

Guess I'll have to see what happens :smile:
Reply 24
Blazor
No, I'm not Portuguese but have lived here for around 7 years now! I'll have a word with the Portuguese teacher for AS and A2 tomorrow and ask her opinion on the matter ...

Also, after speaking to some older students at school I've found out that the P.E. course is actually quite lengthy compared to some of the subjects they did. No point wasting time on a subject that's not going to look so great on a UCAS application I guess!

Thanks so much for your help! :smile:

Yes do Portuguese then.
i.e. go with your Head.

As you are interested in doing English at uni this way you will get to do two subjects which contain literature, which is an advantage.
Reply 25
I did do 4 a levels but dropped one this year down to 3- I just didn't have the time to commit fully to all 4.

Latest

Trending

Trending