The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

DriftingBore
It shouldn't be a problem but it is. They are considered unrigourous and 'easy' subjects to choose.

I'm sorry, but where's your evidence for the effect of choosing the subject?
Reply 21
Maqdah
That seemed like a racist remark but i'm a bit too happy so i'll let it go.

And I did carry on :P

It wasn't a racist remark, he was just commenting on cultural differences and stereotypes. :wink:
Reply 22
The Mute
It wasn't a racist remark, he was just commenting on cultural differences and stereotypes. :wink:

That's why I used the word "seem". I wasn't sure, i didn't want to jump to any conclusions and start a useless fight.
Democracy
I'm sorry, but where's your evidence for the effect of choosing the subject?

I don't have any evidence I can jsut pull out of my hat. You are arguing for the sake of it. Why do you think medical schools ask for chemistry over biology, when a lot of the content of a biology course is more relevant? It's because it is harder. I was discussing this with an admissions officer from UCL.
It's a weak point but how many medicine graduates do you know who studied media or fil to A2 and got onto a course?
DriftingBore
I don't have any evidence I can jsut pull out of my hat. You are arguing for the sake of it. Why do you think medical schools ask for chemistry over biology, when a lot of the content of a biology course is more relevant? It's because it is harder. I was discussing this with an admissions officer from UCL.

No I'm not, I'm saying it's idiotic of you to advise someone not to take Media, because you think they will be rejected because of it.
Democracy
No I'm not, I'm saying it's idiotic of you to advise someone not to take Media, because you think they will be rejected because of it.

And I'm saying it's idiotic of you to argue against something you blatantly don't believe it.
DriftingBore
It's a weak point but how many medicine graduates do you know who studied media or fil to A2 and got onto a course?

That isn't entirely true though is it. There's maybe one module that's relevant in Biology, the rest of it is **** about plants that is neither here nor there when it comes to medicine. Just to throw another point out there, quite a few medical schools now prefer applicants to have a non-science subject in addition to their other two subjects, meaning that in this case media or film could be seen as a better choice than physics or maths.
DriftingBore
And I'm saying it's idiotic of you to argue against something you blatantly don't believe it.

We're discussing fact here, no one has said anything about the unsuitability of Media, and thus it's okay to take it. End of.
Democracy
We're discussing fact here, no one has said anything about the unsuitability of Media, and thus it's okay to take it. End of.

If you say so.
Reply 29
I'm sorry to be a buzz kill for your little pety argument here, but can you answer my question :P
Maqdah
I'm sorry to be a buzz kill for your little pety argument here, but can you answer my question :P

Sorry, just make sure you have your Chemistry and Biology and then pick whatever you want. :wink:
Reply 31
Alex L
That isn't entirely true though is it. There's maybe one module that's relevant in Biology, the rest of it is **** about plants that is neither here nor there when it comes to medicine.

as a side-note [because this isn't relevant to the choice of subjects debate], i have yet to understand why they teach us about plants and the breathing systems of fish.
perhaps there is a reason and i just haven't figured it out yet. :smile: [aside from the fact that not everyone who takes biology is a potential medic].
DriftingBore
If you say so.

PMS prefer their applicants not to have three sciences, so surely media is better than physics, no? OP, you chose the right one, you'll do better in physics, reduces the pressure on you next year.
Alex L
That isn't entirely true though is it. There's maybe one module that's relevant in Biology, the rest of it is **** about plants that is neither here nor there when it comes to medicine. Just to throw another point out there, quite a few medical schools now prefer applicants to have a non-science subject in addition to their other two subjects, meaning that in this case media or film could be seen as a better choice than physics or maths.

Which exam board do you do? I've studied transports systems in humans and human health and disease. 2 huge sections about human health.
Reply 34
lotusx
as a side-note [because this isn't relevant to the choice of subjects debate], i have yet to understand why they teach us about plants and the breathing systems of fish.
perhaps there is a reason and i just haven't figured it out yet. :smile: [aside from the fact that not everyone who takes biology is a potential medic].

Biology is the study of all living things. Last time I checked, plants are living things. If a Human Biology module was taken then you wouldn't have to study about plants. But you will have to study ecology which....sucks.
Alex L
PMS prefer their applicants not to have three sciences, so surely media is better than physics, no? OP, you chose the right one, you'll do better in physics, reduces the pressure on you next year.

Yes, if they ask for one not to science, media is better than physics. But equally, almost any other language or arts subject is better than media.
lotusx

Because there is obviously something relevant that we haven't become aware of yet. Human Health and Disease (on OCR A) was interesting, but the rest is utterly ****, and unlikely to affect my life in the slightest. Surprisingly enough, I couldn't wait to drop it after AS :wink:
DriftingBore
Yes, if they ask for one not to science, media is better than physics. But equally, almost any other language or arts subject is better than media.

I'm sure media is probably quite a heavily essay based subject, so surely it is just as relevant as any other essay subject. And it's definitely a much better choice than something like Art/Textiles/Design or anything else similarly creative
Alex L
I'm sure media is probably quite a heavily essay based subject, so surely it is just as relevant as any other essay subject. And it's definitely a much better choice than something like Art/Textiles/Design or anything else similarly creative

But it's easy...
Why not History, Govt. & Politics, Sociology even?
Surely a subject like sociology is no more related than media, so why would medical schools "approve" of it to a greater degree than they would with media. They wouldn't. They'd merely see a non-science subject

Latest

Trending

Trending