The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It isn't about how related the subject is. It is about how rigourous it is. I just don't think it would be wise to recommend media or film to someone if there is a slight possibility that it will prevent them from achieving what they want.
That's like saying that I should've done Biology to A2 because other applicants would have it, regardless of the fact it isn't a requirement at any of the places I applied to. And like saying that every applicant should take up a musical instrument and get up to grade 8 standard just to be the same as everyone else. There are people out there who don't consider sociology or history to be rigorous subjects either, so why should these be considered any differently to media/film?
All we can both use is perosnal experience. You probably have a much better understanding of the system than me, it is just my opinion that they are not as rigorous. Many of my friends take media and film just because they know they will get a good grade.
:topic: Get your own thread? haha. seriously, there are soo many debates about media studies et al on TSR... hijackers!

:viking:

OP - physics should be fine, it's considered a very hard subject and I don't know of any med schools that ask for maths and not physics, so you should be good - doing the one you're best at is generally a good bet in this case
So my guess is that you have a better understanding of what is actually involved with the subject, I just imagine it to be quite a lot of writing if I'm honest, I'd rather not do it. But then again, I wouldn't choose something like history over it, thinking that it would be a more respected subject.
Democracy
Why's that then?

If the uni hasn't "blacklisted" them, then why should it be a problem?

Because they are ****e A Levels, and don't make you an attractive candidate.
becca2389
It's the quality over quantity argument, I reckon. Or perhaps a shortage of teaching staff or something. You're definitely right that it's unusual.

My school only permitted 9 GCSEs and no more than 4 a levels, with the majority doing 3.

Same here.. it gets reaally stressful otherwise..
OP I think your choices are good... Good luck with it all! I think I read on one of the university websites that they like if you can do languages as well.. but if you prefer sciences that should be good as well..
btw Jordan's very pretty!:redface:
Speedbird2008

It really depends where your applying and what it is you want to study.
xBillyBrownx

This is in the medicine sub-forum, hence it is generally a given that we are discussing applying for medicine, be they real or hypothetical situations :wink:
xBillyBrownx

What a useless post.

What Alex L said is what most people assume. :p:
Speedbird2008

Maybe so, but unless anywhere's specifically prohibited them, it's just going on personal opinion to advise someone not to take them.
Speedbird2008
What a useless post.

What Alex L said is what most people assume. :p:

You're a very nice aren't you.
Your post was actually too general and implied that those subjects always made you a less attractive student.
Reply 52
Regardless of what people would like to be the case, some A-levels are seen to be more academically challenging than others, i.e physics over media/film studies.

When you have your interview and you have a crusty old consultant who graduated in 1862 looking at your form, you have to have made the right decision over what a level subjects you would rather he/she saw that you studied. It is an entirely personal decision over what you study but I would advise folks to have a good reason for why they studied a percieved easier course when applying for medicine, whether its deemed ok or not by uni admissions policies.
Reply 53
In answer to the OP, physics will be fine :smile:
Reply 54
Thanks to everyone that helped. Now only to convince my parents that I made the right choice.
yup they're fine - doesnt really matter between physics and maths as you have your bio and chem and seeing as you are better at physics it makes sense to do that! good luck :smile:
Reply 56
Alex L
I'm sure media is probably quite a heavily essay based subject, so surely it is just as relevant as any other essay subject. And it's definitely a much better choice than something like Art/Textiles/Design or anything else similarly creative

Do whatever you're good at is my view, if that's Art/Textiles/Design then great.

I did a Design and Technology A-level. Not particularly academic but I enjoyed it and did very well.

I'm now using my wood/metalwork skills in orthopaedics, and it all comes very naturally. I remember the first time I saw a femoral fracture being plated and was like "er... these are exactly the same techniques I've used on metal... but they're just doing it on bone" :biggrin:

Most med schools welcome something different, at my interview (back in the day now) the bosses picked up D&T as a very good thing.
Touche
Do whatever you're good at is my view, if that's Art/Textiles/Design then great.

I did a Design and Technology A-level. Not particularly academic but I enjoyed it and did very well.

I'm now using my wood/metalwork skills in orthopaedics, and it all comes very naturally. I remember the first time I saw a femoral fracture being plated and was like "er... these are exactly the same techniques I've used on metal... but they're just doing it on bone" :biggrin:

Most med schools welcome something different, at my interview (back in the day now) the bosses picked up D&T as a very good thing.

I didn't even consider that, so I take it all back, my bad :p:
xBillyBrownx
Your post was actually too general and implied that those subjects always made you a less attractive student.

No, you were losing sight of the whole picture, and yes, they *generally* do make you a less attractive candidate.

:smile:
Right...

OP- Do the one your best at because (rightly or wrongly) you need to get minimum AAB. Physics or Maths doesn't matter as you have chemistry and biology, but possibly be careful when applying because some Uni's want a chem, bio and a non-science, so maybe don't apply there

Chemistry is seen as more important than Biology because biology involves lots of irrelevant stuff and because they teach you Human Bio anyway.

As for media etc I haven't got a clue how the Uni will see it, but do know of someone accepted onto the 5 year programme at BL after doing a drama degree, so accademics aren't the bee-all and end all. Just be prepared to justify your choices if asked, for example- I chose media because I thought it would be a piece of cake = bad. I chose media because I believe it provided me with a better insight into how to get my ideas across in an appropriate way in a world that is very media orientated (or similar)= better

Latest

Trending

Trending