Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
cyborg
I have plenty of maths exams to go as I'm doing Further Maths next year :smile:

Oooooh someone must be clever!!
Reply 21
Aleexx04
Oooooh someone must be clever!!

Depends on your strengths, doesn't it ? I'm good at Maths + Sciences but not that good at Arts subjects.
I'm doing double maths in college, I like maths.
But the paper today was a disaster for me.
No way am I getting an overall A* now!
Reply 23
We don't even have rough grade boundaries, as this is the first year for this specification.
I think it went pretty well, the only question I couldn't do was the parallelogram one, I tried the cosine rule but it didn't work for me, ah well only 3 marks.
Also wtf was the table one about?! I just guessed though I'm not sure if I got that one right

Edit: I got 14.4 for the total height of the cone :s-smilie:
Exactly. I want to know what I got for my coursework!
If I had a C in my coursework, I would be on 87% abouts without this exam.
The worst possible outcome for me is 71%.
The best.. around 78-82%
Reply 26
Exactly. I want to know what I got for my coursework!

Didn't you get your coursework marks from your teachers ?
Reply 27
Went pretty well, I think. Wasn't really sure about the 2 way table, but I put in a guess, and it's the same as what someone has posted on page 1 of the thread, so could be right. Wasn't completely sure how to work out the 8p (second last question) properly though, I used a logarithm, log8(4), I think it was, which gave me the right answer.

So Maths is over, best exams so far for me. :smile:
Reply 28
milliondollarcorpse
I think it went pretty well, the only question I couldn't do was the parallelogram one, I tried the cosine rule but it didn't work for me, ah well only 3 marks.
Also wtf was the table one about?! I just guessed though I'm not sure if I got that one right

Edit: I got 14.4 for the total height of the cone :s-smilie:

I was waiting for your reply Nick. I got 14.4 for the height of the original cone too. For the parallelogram, I got 118 degrees (along those lines) using the cosine rule (rearranging it first). The two way table was a bad one, especially since it was worth 3 marks. Definitely lost at least 10 marks in total!
Reply 29
I got 14.4cm as the height for the cone too.
Reply 30
what's the A* grade?
85+?
I didn't get my coursework mark from my teacher because ours was centre marked.
I wrote alot though, about 50 cumulative pages for both projects!
I'm hoping I got an A, or about 17/20 for it, but just to be safe I'm counting it as a C.

To get an overall A* now, I think my coursework needsto be an A!
Reply 32
Greg.
I got 14.4cm as the height for the cone too.

I got 15cm. Well, one of us is right :smile:
I got 14.4 too.

5:1
12:2.4

That's how i did that. The rest were pretty simple. What did people get on the quadratic equation which i think was on the page before. Mine was something like 9 and -1 but it was to 2 decimal places?
Was it really 2.4?
I didn't do the quadratics.
Well, I tried, but failed.
I got 12 and 3, something like that.
The entire cone had a radius of 5.
The smaller cone had a radius of one.
According to my workings, that's a fifth of the entire cone.
Oh dear!
I see where I went wrong!
It really was 15!
Yeh i understand it now.
Its 15 in total not 14.4, because:

when splitting the cone into similar tryangles you need to remove the radius of the main cone from the little one (5-1)=4 as if you dont do this all you do is draw a line from the centre of the cone base to the centre of the smalller cone base and not actualy create a tryangle. then simply find the scale factor which is 3 also you can check it as if you cut a triangular cross section from the cone you get a trinagle with base 5cm and height 15cm so scale factor 3, with 14.4 you dont get the same scale factor for the top and bottom cone.

If you wrote 14.4 you still probaly get 4/6
Reply 38
That question on cones comes up a lot - it was in the June 07 paper and about half the mock papers we did.
cyborg
That question on cones comes up a lot - it was in the June 07 paper and about half the mock papers we did.

yeah i made sure i knew how to do it before the exam

Latest